junkman

Crush it
Local time
8:49 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
https://www.gransforsbruk.com/en/product/gransfors-large-splitting-axe/
They also make a splitting maul for large rounds but I noodle it down and pop it right open with the GBView attachment 90856 View attachment 90857
The shape of that head looks like will pop the wood nice .I like it .

Seems 26 to 28 is the norm now in axes. I have an Oschenkopf 26" felling axe but its too short for my taste except for cleaning a fellin notch outView attachment 90858
26 is a good size for me for felling trees ,and pounding wedges ,much longer ,hard for me to clean the faces out to see what i am doing ,those axe's look very well made ,nice to see real images vs website ones that do not look real .

Keith Gandy

Maxima K2 40:1 87 Pump Gas
Local time
10:49 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
stihl-ms-462-c-m-chainsaw.jpg
Fine saw!!

Ryan Browne

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'll add a plug for the GB maul. I haven't tried the large splitting axe, but I would like to someday. If it helps anyone pull the trigger I will add that I personally thought my friend was being an obnoxious show-off when he bought his GB maul. Then I used it... So I had to have one. It really is that good. Since buying mine, I know two more people who've bought one as a result of trying mine, despite the high price. I have probably 50-60 cords through mine and it's held up really well. I think I've touched up the edge twice, and I split on the ground. Mine is about a 5.5# head, and a 32" handle. A very near perfect tool. Here it is next to a piece of oak that needed some above average convincing. rps20171003_133744_622.jpg

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
11:49 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That is the maul Ryan? Not the splitting Axe?

Keith Gandy

Maxima K2 40:1 87 Pump Gas
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'll add a plug for the GB maul. I haven't tried the large splitting axe, but I would like to someday. If it helps anyone pull the trigger I will add that I personally thought my friend was being an obnoxious show-off when he bought his GB maul. Then I used it... So I had to have one. It really is that good. Since buying mine, I know two more people who've bought one as a result of trying mine, despite the high price. I have probably 50-60 cords through mine and it's held up really well. I think I've touched up the edge twice, and I split on the ground. Mine is about a 5.5# head, and a 32" handle. A very near perfect tool. Here it is next to a piece of oak that needed some above average convincing. View attachment 90867
Exact same as the large/long slitting axe except the heavier poll on the rear for hammering wedges

Ryan Browne

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That is the maul Ryan? Not the splitting Axe?

Yes sir, it's the heaviest splitter they make. Here's their page on it: https://www.gransforsbruk.com/en/product/gransfors-splitting-maul/

I'm a bigger guy at 6'2" and normally in all about bigger and heavier tools, but this replaces a 6 or 8# maul on a 36" handle very well. Because of the light weight and shorter handle, I can place my strike much more accurately, and the sharp and well shaped bit make for very effective splitting. Plus, at that weight and length, I can split a lot longer before getting fatigued. I usually split logs right on the ground, sometimes I'll stand them up, sometimes just a golf swing at a round laying right where I bucked it. It fits me really well and I'd recommend them to anyone.

CR888

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
1:49 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I used Keiths maul exstensively friday. It is hand s down tje best I have ever picked up. No sticking, no hard swings, just slap busts wood. Innocent bystandards are in danger if they dont stand a good ways back. The GB is worth every penny.
If the axe 'feels' right in your hands when using it I have no problem dropping some coin on a GB that if looked after will give many decades of service. I have a couple of Fiskars & while they do the job well, they just are not the same as a hand forged well balanced maul/axe. If that GB is $165 in the states I bet it would be close too 3 bills here. I still want one...

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thank you Ryan.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yes sir, it's the heaviest splitter they make. Here's their page on it: https://www.gransforsbruk.com/en/product/gransfors-splitting-maul/

I'm a bigger guy at 6'2" and normally in all about bigger and heavier tools, but this replaces a 6 or 8# maul on a 36" handle very well. Because of the light weight and shorter handle, I can place my strike much more accurately, and the sharp and well shaped bit make for very effective splitting. Plus, at that weight and length, I can split a lot longer before getting fatigued. I usually split logs right on the ground, sometimes I'll stand them up, sometimes just a golf swing at a round laying right where I bucked it. It fits me really well and I'd recommend them to anyone.

Have you ever used the X-27?

Ryan Browne

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Have you ever used the X-27?

Yep, i have one of those also. I like the x27, but it's a different animal. It's a lot longer, and a little lighter. They swing a lot differently. It's hard describe exactly, but the X27 feels light, and needs speed to split. The GB feels stouter and packs more of a punch when it hits. They are both great replacements for a heavy maul in 90% of the wood that I split, they just do the job differently. Personally, I feel a lot more shock from the x27, and I don't like how the cheeks act as barbs. I find it getting stuck in wood that has already split, but not been thrown apart. Also, I don't like the hook on the handle. My bottom two fingers get jammed up down there and after an hour of splitting they don't feel good at all. Granted, I think I could fix both of these problems with a grinder in about 15 minutes, and other people may not have the same issues as I did.

Don't get me wrong, I had a lovely affair with my x27 right after I got it. I split about 6 cords with it in the first month, but after a while I picked up my Gransfors and remembered why I love it. They both a great splitting tools, and for $50, the x27 is definitely worth owning. The beauty of the GB though, plus how nicely it works make it my favorite.

Edited to add: another great thing about the X27 is that if I'm using the GB, I have another maul for someone else to practice with. They watch how effectively I can make firewood with the Gransfors, and then they want to play. A regular maul doesn't help them find any satisfaction, but the X27 does a pretty good job.

StephK87

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
5:49 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I would just like to try one before dropping the coin. Everyone has a different splitting style.

15369822_1337435196286984_2118508601_o.jpg

I have both, X27 and the big GB. Both have split a lot of wood in the last three years. The GB is really a nice tool, well crafted, good performance, but there is one thing I do not like about it.... It is simply a little bit to short for 6 foot guy in my opinion (maybe i will upgrade it from 80cm to 90cm with a custom handle in the future). With the longer handle the X27 feels a tad more comfortable for me for fast splitting. For its price the x27 is a good work horse. But, depending on personal preferences, you can't do wrong with both of them.

Here's a video of the x27

I will also post a short update of the 462 this evening, stay tuned ;)

Ryan Browne

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
View attachment 90922

I have both, X27 and the big GB. Both have split a lot of wood in the last three years. The GB is really a nice tool, well crafted, good performance, but there is one thing I do not like about it.... It is simply a little bit to short for 6 foot guy in my opinion (maybe i will upgrade it from 80cm to 90cm with a custom handle in the future). With the longer handle the X27 feels a tad more comfortable for me for fast splitting. For its price the x27 is a good work horse. But, depending on personal preferences, you can't do wrong with both of them.

Here's a video of the x27

I will also post a short update of the 462 this evening, stay tuned ;)

Damn, a pic with the GB maul AND the 462!! That's the best thread re-rail I've ever seen, hands-down! Good work Steph.