Mastermind Approved!
Local time
11:37 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
They have set up a customer forum for "Saw porters wanted"
Dave is running a mock thread .
Ideas started to pop after viewing for a minute. Some of it is a double edge sword. Like what I think @Stump Shot is saying? Its 100℅ all site intervention or next to nothing. Next to nothing seems to be better .er..um...until its not. It is likely best to have a select list with a site certified status that shows up on each post and on their profile with a Moto such as - stay safe go site certified ...er something to that effect.
Also have 'this' written on the site in obvious PLACES. Put a note in the rules, out in the inbox welcome message upon sign up as well the sign up email conformation.
The rest is to bad so sad if they get burned.
You can only help those that will help themselves. If they are an the site then they can read. No excuse, no pity.

That takes care of the chief complaint that everybody sided with.

In Dave's scenario the customer says they are not in any hurry and have other saws?
Is that the worst case scenario from a builders point of view? This guy could be an attention hoe 'yanking peoples chains?' (no pun) You can't have that.
Should the site implement a time for the 'would be' customer to commit with strict rules like DO NOT POST in this sec unless you are ready to deal. But that
doesn't work for intro level. If the guy is greener than Kermit's 'come' then he may find a ported saw isn't his thing in the end? Then where do you direct virgins? Back here to make a thread? Or can it be a two part somehow. IDK? (^^^this thought is more to protect the builders from BS.

If things go ok between builders then let it be

I don't know if anyone is interested in a cap. First come first served and first 3 is a full house.
3 quotes is very standardised by the public for many trades.

2) "The lottery systems".
Now this here would be more site ran if things came down to it. It's certainly not social as the reply would go to an inbox for site administration/ moderators.
I would think you do a numbers cap or time limit and the builders post to the same inbox.
The buyer has less choice but has the protection of site certified builders.
Standardised price lists agreed on by all. Builder ' trade offs for better suitability due to location or saw preference . The winner can pass it on and take buddies next one.
How do you win...you ask?
"Rock paper scissors" Is there really any other way? No....not "pants off dance off.
Pick a number game.

3)The Union system:
Same construction as 2) but it's just goes down the list to the next guy.

I am not married to #2 or #3 but where do you go if people don't play nice with the other kids.
I’m not understanding the time thing
Also I am like Dave and have plenty of saws to choose from and I also tell the builders I am in no hurry because I’m not
I even ask some to get them broke in for me because usually a builder doesn’t get to see how much a saw gains when it gets broke in
So what kind of time constraints are you thinking of?

Stihl working Hard

Is it Friday yet
Local time
11:37 AM
User ID
Reaction score
just set up the Porter's/builder's profiles
Like tinder is.
Tinder+profiles_ba456d_5638918.jpg
LMFAO:risas3:

Stihl working Hard

Is it Friday yet
Local time
11:37 AM
User ID
Reaction score
JMS was not the only one (just the worst). I remember a guy named Moody offered to port my 362 for free … luckily I thought better of it and ponied up and sent it to Randy. Yea it took a while … but I still have it and it still runs good!

Hence my Dad's old saying: "Quality will be remembered long after the price paid is forgotten"
Never a truer word spoken there Mike my mate has had this pic for years I still use the saying regularly DBC987AA-9497-4433-8EC2-209F5246CDEC.jpeg

morewood

Mr. Awesome
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm confused. Is all this just to clear up the JMS debacle? Granted, I got tied up in that mess pretty well, but it wasn't the sinking of the Titanic. There is no idiot proofing of any public forum, online or otherwise. Concerning saw porting, one person has ported every saw I had worked on. He has done great work for me and I have no doubt others. Randy has even mentioned that my next saw may need to be ported by someone else due to his huge backlog of work. I just don't see the need to ratchet up the anxiety level, I agree with my sausage finger friend that people should get to know the community better before they dive in to the deep end with a ported saw. Society today expects it all to be done right now and perfect.......the world isn't made that way, you have to have some level of responsibility for your choices or accept the possible consequences. Saying that, as a community I am grateful for the help I received and could understand getting caught up in things occasionally, but doing things in a rushed manner without input from others leads to a disaster most of the time. I'm done for now. I will be looking for a saw porter soon though.

Mr. Awesome

Junk Meister

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
10:37 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I would be concerned of how to "RE"adjust Hindsight. Almost impossible to do. Once some law/rule regardless of intention is implemented by the majority The liability of that action becomes the responsibility of that majority. IN simple words "It needs to be done right the first time" Simple words not so simple of a task.

~WBF

Thecallofthewildanswered1989-2017[PAID IN FULL!]
Local time
4:37 AM
User ID
Reaction score
I’m not understanding the time thing
Also I am like Dave and have plenty of saws to choose from and I also tell the builders I am in no hurry because I’m not
I even ask some to get them broke in for me because usually a builder doesn’t get to see how much a saw gains when it gets broke in
So what kind of time constraints are you thinking of?
Sure and that's fine.
My reference to time had nothing to do with after the deal had been made.
All of this is directed towards people that are not in the loop and post a thread looking for a repretiable saw porter.
It has to be a very small market anyway?
The main point was at least making the forum for very serious inquiries only. If you have at least enough clear warnings then it should discourage the pretenders.
A time frame to commit to a deal may not be very realistic anyway. Maybe a suggestive time frame to instil the seriousness. Its better to prevent them that flush them out later.
It is all about discouraging the people that are talking chit. You guys know the type.. Just smoked a big fatty and log in on a whim for one or two night. I have worked with guys and they have talked a big talk for 10 yrs to me about getting a saw ported.
Maybe there is very little of 'the crying Wolf type anyway when people start threads asking for a saw porter. IDK?
I see through a lot if it will people posting pics of trees or saws for assistance but its really just a conversation piece blowing off time. I hate that crying wolf type.
Thing is It hurts the people that real need help. Eventually the games wear you down. Maybe that's my own pet peeve only.
I am starting to think mostly there isn't a big issue anyway other than protecting
newcommers. I don't think that is hard to fix.
The other point I would add is most of the new people will end up posting in the saw sec anyway unless It gets moved to the very top above the chainsaw section.
I think that is a no brainer

*Edit I was trying to answer this post at 3:00 am last night.
So tired. I made a couple different attempts and forgot It was all on here.
I few people may have got a real treat lol

Last edited:

~WBF

Thecallofthewildanswered1989-2017[PAID IN FULL!]
Local time
4:37 AM
User ID
Reaction score
I would be concerned of how to "RE"adjust Hindsight. Almost impossible to do. Once some law/rule regardless of intention is implemented by the majority The liability of that action becomes the responsibility of that majority. IN simple words "It needs to be done right the first time" Simple words not so simple of a task.

Well said.
I couldn't agree more on either account.

If 'we' are still saying hindsight is 20 20 then it sure isn't saying much good of
our foresight.

Foresight is truly 20 20

CJ Brown

I learned it from a hockey card...
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
We basically already have a map function. If people put there actual location in there profile. If it is a real location all you need to do is click the button and google shows you.
Well holy chit - who knew??!!!

CJ Brown

I learned it from a hockey card...
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I changed my to make it more accurate. My mailing address is Jamestown, TN.....but I live in a little community called Banner Springs.
Maybe I should do the same since my "address" is 50% bigger than the state of Texas lol

huskyboy

Sorta a husqvarna guy...
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I think it would eliminate some of the pointless bickering. If you don’t like or disagree with a post... dislike it. Simple. Just have the “dislikes” be anonymous in “alerts” and the username not shown who disliked it.

WKEND LUMBERJAK

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
10:37 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I think it would eliminate some of the pointless bickering. If you don’t like or disagree with a post... dislike it. Simple. Just have the “dislikes” be anonymous in “alerts” and the username not shown who disliked it.
Anonymous or not I miss it.