information sought 181 chassis thru 288

heartwoodlover1001

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
4:27 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Good Evening OPE

I was wondering who has built this or rebuilt this these models. First question of interest is which is the preferred piston configuration? I hear thing ring, but I also see both one and two ring pistons. does the two ring make better power/compression or vice versa. what is the nice carb to have for the se? also if looking for a clutch would one be better to stay with the early models in a used capacity or look towards aftermarket. could any one explain the difference between those clutches. the only way that I can seem to describe is the early seem more airy with one spring versus the ones I see which have three and would seem to have more rotating mass as well as three springs. feel free to interject the correct vernacular so I can have a better grasp. the last thing if I needed almost all bolts where is the best place to start.

again thank you so much to this place and the knowledge contained within. thanks always

mdavlee

Hillbilly grinder
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thin ring is best for racing. Single thick or dual 1.2mm if you find it are fine

Czed

Aluminium Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Good Evening OPE

I was wondering who has built this or rebuilt this these models. First question of interest is which is the preferred piston configuration? I hear thing ring, but I also see both one and two ring pistons. does the two ring make better power/compression or vice versa. what is the nice carb to have for the se? also if looking for a clutch would one be better to stay with the early models in a used capacity or look towards aftermarket. could any one explain the difference between those clutches. the only way that I can seem to describe is the early seem more airy with one spring versus the ones I see which have three and would seem to have more rotating mass as well as three springs. feel free to interject the correct vernacular so I can have a better grasp. the last thing if I needed almost all bolts where is the best place to start.

again thank you so much to this place and the knowledge contained within. thanks always
I've had some good runners with the meteor single ring with a caber i prefer these never had any clutch issues no matter which version.

Daserlon

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
2:27 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm kinda new with saw mechanics myself. I've found that the thin ring 181's are rare and expensive to rebuild. A single ring 52mm piston/ring is pretty cheep and will fit a 281 also. The 181 and 281/288 have different carbs. The 181 has a wire linkage while the 281/288 has a "roller" linkage. I cant remember the carb models right now. As far as clutches. Get a 394/395 clutch. They're cheep and new. They may be a bit heavier but you get more torque from the rotating mass.

Spike60

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The 394/395 clutch actually IS the 288 clutch as used on later models so that is correct. Plus if you ever have to replace a spring, the 3 spring style is 100 times easier than the single spring clutches. Also, the single clutch springs are more prone to stretching and premature engagement.

Single ring piston is most common and the better way to go. Proper thin rings are very hard to find.

Mounts are another thing to look at, as there are both spring and hard rubber options. As you'd expect, the spring mounts are smoother, rubber gives the saw a sturdier feel to it. Like the 262XP, this was an early spring mount saw, without the top spring between the handle and cylinder. So, the springs can sometimes give the impression that you need to tighten something up. :)

Czed

Aluminium Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The 394/395 clutch actually IS the 288 clutch as used on later models so that is correct. Plus if you ever have to replace a spring, the 3 spring style is 100 times easier than the single spring clutches. Also, the single clutch springs are more prone to stretching and premature engagement.

Single ring piston is most common and the better way to go. Proper thin rings are very hard to find.

Mounts are another thing to look at, as there are both spring and hard rubber options. As you'd expect, the spring mounts are smoother, rubber gives the saw a sturdier feel to it. Like the 262XP, this was an early spring mount saw, without the top spring between the handle and cylinder. So, the springs can sometimes give the impression that you need to tighten something up. :)
You wouldn't happen to have the springs mounts would ya ive only run the rubber mount as far as i know i have three 288s now 1 xp 2 lites thanks.

Last edited:

heartwoodlover1001

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Anyone have good piston suggestions for this saw? Is the meteor, the way to be the OEM? I also heard that easysaw at one point made good pistons? Thoughts y'all

Daserlon

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Anyone have good piston suggestions for this saw? Is the meteor, the way to be the OEM? I also heard that easysaw at one point made good pistons? Thoughts y'all
To my knowledge OEM is best but meteor is just as good. I just recieved a meteor for my 181/288 build. Keep asking questions about the husky 181-288 saws. They've been made from 1983ish to 2001. They're great saws with a huge following and tons of info on this site and another. Once you get yours going you'll understand how awesome these saws are.

heartwoodlover1001

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Could anyone elaborate the model numbers of gas tank which will fit a 181se model I think originals are no longer around. I need one. Thank you for your time.

Daserlon

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
They're all the same tank i think. Only differance i've noticed is 281/288 has a tougher front where the front handle screws in. Reason being is 281/288 had the 7th mount spring under the muffler. 288 lite has the same tank just no 7th mount. I'll try to get pics shortly.