High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

I’m stumped

Bryan Barrow

Super OPE Member
Local time
7:36 AM
User ID
Reaction score
I have this chainsaw that really has me stumped. It’s a Stihl 034 AV. I replaced the jug and piston, fuel line, and cleaned the carb a few times. It starts, idles, and revs up well. But when I rev it up, it doesn’t like to go back down to idle. The throttle releases and closes but it’s still acting as if I have the throttle open. What could cause this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stump Shot

Disciple of Monkey's
GoldMember
Local time
6:36 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Sounds like it has a leak somewhere, crank seals, intake boot, impulse line, cylinder base, crankcase gasket etc. are the usual suspects. The best way to find where it is to pressure/vacuum test it. Some soapy water will blow bubbles while under pressure.

Bryan Barrow

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Sounds like it has a leak somewhere, crank seals, intake boot, impulse line, cylinder base, crankcase gasket etc. are the usual suspects. The best way to find where it is to pressure/vacuum test it. Some soapy water will blow bubbles while under pressure.

Oh great [emoji1749]‍[emoji3603][emoji23]

drf256

Dr. Richard Cranium
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If it’s idling well, but is slow to come back down to idle, it also can be that your L needle is too lean. An L that’s too lean will make a saw keep revving out of the cut. You’ll hear it “finding” idle after you release the trigger.

Can still be an air leak, but usually the saw won’t idle right if there is one.

Start saw, turn LA until chain moves just a bit at idle. Fatten (open) the L until the rpm start to drop, then back in a bit. Raise LA if you need to.

See what happens.

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
A remote possibility could be the annular buffers have degraded allowing the engine to rotate on it's axis in the suspension system which in time will tear the intake boot .You can't tell the boot is torn unless you remove it because the tear will be on the bottom .Been there and done that on an 038 mag .
My goodness you wouldn't believe how fast an engine will rev just going through the idle circuit with a torn intake .Sounded like model air plane engine .

fearofpavement

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Is this a repeatable issue? ie, does it start normally, idle normally and cut normally but does this rev thing every time? Or is it more random than that?
Like drf said, if it's an air leak, it probably wouldn't idle normally.

Bryan Barrow

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Is this a repeatable issue? ie, does it start normally, idle normally and cut normally but does this rev thing every time? Or is it more random than that?
Like drf said, if it's an air leak, it probably wouldn't idle normally.

It happens every time

Bryan Barrow

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
A hard yank on a pinched bar is the best recipe for a torn boot...

I’m fixing it for a friend. He let a friend borrow it and it came back needed a new piston and jug (they straight gassed it). I wouldn’t be surprised if they forget to mention that too