High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

Ignition Coil Question - Diagnostics

RD35

Super OPE Member
Local time
8:30 PM
User ID
Reaction score
I have an 041AV with intermittent spark. I disconnected and pulled the coil. I checked continuity from the core to the low voltage white wire (the one that attaches to the condenser along with the points and kill-switch wires). I have continuity on this wire to the core. Next I tested continuity (with VOM on high resistance setting) from the plug wire to the core. Nothing...didn't wiggle the needle. So I removed the coil wire and tested again at the secondary high voltage coil pin. No continuity from this pin to the core. (plug wire tested good BTW).

So, is it safe for me to conclude this coil is dead?

p61 western

Ol Mudflap
GoldMember
Local time
9:00 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have an 041AV with intermittent spark. I disconnected and pulled the coil. I checked continuity from the core to the low voltage white wire (the one that attaches to the condenser along with the points and kill-switch wires). I have continuity on this wire to the core. Next I tested continuity (with VOM on high resistance setting) from the plug wire to the core. Nothing...didn't wiggle the needle. So I removed the coil wire and tested again at the secondary high voltage coil pin. No continuity from this pin to the core. (plug wire tested good BTW).

@Stump Shot could probably help you out. He is good with that stuff.

Stump Shot

Disciple of Monkey's
GoldMember
Local time
11:00 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Short answer, yes, it is safe to say this is a dead coil.

Resistance readings from Stihl are as follows-
Primary winding(small wire from points and to ground) with meter set at ohm x 1
Bosch date code "523" 1.9 to 2.5 ohms
Bosch date code "524" 1.2 to 1.7 ohms

Secondary winding (Spark wire and to ground) with meter set at ohm x 1000
5.0k to 6.7k ohms