High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

IEL-Pioneer thread

RoyM

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
6:31 PM
User ID
Reaction score
I am an IEL/Pioneer fan too, you guys make me drool. I have several Holidays and an HC which has a broken intake 'poppet valve' for want of a better term. Same problem with my parts saw so no help there. It's not restored but gets a lot of attention at shows because of the size.

rocketnorton

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I am an IEL/Pioneer fan too, you guys make me drool. I have several Holidays and an HC which has a broken intake 'poppet valve' for want of a better term. Same problem with my parts saw so no help there. It's not restored but gets a lot of attention at shows because of the size.

see above, quote didn't work...

RoyM

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I am near Vernon. We left Surrey two years ago to retire and escape the pressures of the city.

p61 western

Ol Mudflap
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
How much is a Pioneer P60 worth? Customer might be bringing one to sell to me and I want to make a decent offer. He says the saw is tired so I'm assuming I'll be rebuilding the top end.
It really depends on condition. If the top end is no good I wouldn't pay much for it. The thin rings are next to impossible to find, and not a lot of cylinders floating around as well. If it has 135psi or more I would run it. They are 155 psi brand new so 135 isn't to bad. Hopefully it's in decent shape and you get a great saw out of the deal. If you get it for 150 you would be doing pretty good I think.

Last edited:

Chainsaw Jim

Con Artist LLC
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Unless it is sparkly new looking the only real value in it is the cylinder and piston. I believe there were three castings made before the boost port. The first one, which was used for most if not all p60's, is the weakest and should have a bit lower value.

p61 western

Ol Mudflap
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Unless it is sparkly new looking the only real value in it is the cylinder and piston. I believe there were three castings made before the boost port. The first one, which was used for most if not all p60's, is the weakest and should have a bit lower value.
How is your p62 doing?

Chainsaw Jim

Con Artist LLC
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
How is your p62 doing?
Not too bad but could run better. Modifying the intake is a real challenge with this model family and I went with the wrong carb set up. I need to use one with a smaller venturi, but with big carb fuel flow. I went the wrong way and made too much of a bottleneck at the reed valve.

p61 western

Ol Mudflap
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Not too bad but could run better. Modifying the intake is a real challenge with this model family and I went with the wrong carb set up. I need to use one with a smaller venturi, but with big carb fuel flow. I went the wrong way and made too much of a bottleneck at the reed valve.
Have you tried a sdc 80 on it? I have had good luck with those carbs on the 5 and 6 cube Pioneer's. If you don't mind sharing a pic, I would love to see what you did to the reed block.

Chainsaw Jim

Con Artist LLC
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Have you tried a sdc 80 on it? I have had good luck with those carbs on the 5 and 6 cube Pioneer's. If you don't mind sharing a pic, I would love to see what you did to the reed block.
I made it into a two stage but couldn't really enlarge the passage much. I'm not sure if I have an sdc80 or not, but I have a few carbs to use that should make it right. One of these days I'll get back at it.

20170503_023111.jpg

p61 western

Ol Mudflap
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I made it into a two stage but couldn't really enlarge the passage much. I'm not sure if I have an sdc80 or not, but I have a few carbs to use that should make it right. One of these days I'll get back at it.

View attachment 92795
My p61 western came with the 2 stage reed and the sdc 80 new back when my grandpa bought it. It's a really good combo that works well on the pioneer's. Did you make your 2 stage reed, and if so where did you get the material from. I would rather make it then spend 50 bucks on it.

Chainsaw Jim

Con Artist LLC
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
My p61 western came with the 2 stage reed and the sdc 80 new back when my grandpa bought it. It's a really good combo that works well on the pioneer's. Did you make your 2 stage reed, and if so where did you get the material from. I would rather make it then spend 50 bucks on it.
I made this one. Some P41's and 42's came with the carbon fiber petals and I robbed the parts off one of my carcasses.
Homelite has a four side pyramid reed for their older saws that may fit. I plan to see about that.

TJ the Chainsaw Mechanic

Old Homelites rule!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
It really depends on condition. If the top end is no good I wouldn't pay much for it. The thin rings are next to impossible to find, and not a lot of cylinders floating around as well. If it has 135psi or more I would run it. They are 155 psi brand new so 135 isn't to bad. Hopefully it's in decent shape and you get a great saw out of the deal. If you get it for 150 you would be doing pretty good I think.
Thanks! He made it sound like it was tired, but the saw itself seems to be in good shape as it does apparently run still.