davidwyby

Tree felling enthusiast
GoldMember
Local time
5:44 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Diesels burn oil and make lots of power (and heat) doing it. Oil lubes and increases compression (seals rings) I would think. I’ve read of dyno tests showing more oil is more power down to 18:1.

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
8:44 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
We ran the old outboard boat motors on 16 to 1 .They didn't smoke that much at speed .At trolling speeds they might load up a tad bit .Not a big deal,just lean them out a bit,make a speed run then get back to trolling for walleye .Must not have hurt them because you can still find old Evenrudes that are 50 years old and run great still .I think they will run forever if you don't abuse them .

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That JD looks like a clone of a Homelite .Might be as there were a bunch of them in every color of the rainbow .

Cut4fun

Redneck Chainsaw Repair
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
The husky 2101 1989 I just got in was ran 25:1 all its life till the other day when I tuned it with 40:1. The original owners manual stated 25:1 in 1989 for the saw.

Likesaws

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Please note that some guys run their 4-cycle gasoline engines using mixed fuel and swear that it runs perfectly, perhaps even smoother. I'm sure that's just a 40:1 mix, but they never tell me what the ratio is. Trade secret, I guess.
I just poured the last of my 40:1 in my log splitter. Wanted to mix fresh gas for saws. Burned fine no problems. Was running rough before, pulled cover found ground wire bare in spots where it rubbed the housing.
Cleaned carb and fuel tank coil and flywheel magnets for good measure anyway thought carb was problem at first. Would start then die out.
Runs great Idles very smooth.
Hope it runs another 24 years.

72thing

Chain dulling master
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
There's no telling how many times I've dumped mix gas in my lawnmower when i just needed that last gallon or so to finish up my yard. I've never noticed any difference in how it runs, smoke, etc.

CR888

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
11:44 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Unfortunately today there is a race to the bottom mentality with folks taking pride in running the leanest mix ratios they can. There is this underlying belief that oil is bad for a two stroke. They even have this stupid theory that more gas/less fuel equates to more power. Provided the right oil selection takes place, 2strokes have always and will continue to like burning oil. They live on the scantiest little amount whatever the mix ratio to lube the bottom & top ends as it is.

Lone Wolf

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
@jakethesnake I'm going to stay with 32:1. This experiment was a one off just for old times sake. I do feel like it made just a little bit more power though it could just be in my head. I didn't use a tach, just tuned it by ear. No way it would work with limiter caps in place. The oil was mixed with 90 octane so I don't know what eight ounces of oil in a gallon will bring the octane down to.

Go stomp a mud hole in a T-Rex ass!
I would think it made a bit more compression due to improved ring sealing with more oil.

Lone Wolf

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Diesels burn oil and make lots of power (and heat) doing it. Oil lubes and increases compression (seals rings) I would think. I’ve read of dyno tests showing more oil is more power down to 18:1.
Maybe I should go back to 32 to 1 from 40 to one your thoughts?

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'll round them up one of these and snap a picture Homelight Xl 12,Lombard Comango and Remington PL5 .You'd be surprised at the simularity .

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
There was a guy from the UP of Mich his family owned a fishing camp in Ont . They bought a new Chevy pick up for the camp and all it had ever been ran on was marine boat gas at 50 to one ratio .He said it didn't have a problem .He posted on a site I no longer visit and was kind of a smart alec know it all type .