I ran some 16:1

PissRev

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
1:58 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I woke up yesterday feeling like I could whip a t-rex and scale Mount Everest. Since dinosaurs died out because they were scared of me and I'm not even in Nepal now, I decided to go cut some cookies instead. A wild idea came to me to mix up some 16:1 like I was 16 again so, I dumped those 8 ounces of oil in my gallon of gas. I figured the exhaust scent could double as a cologne for my Valentines evening out on the town with my kissin cousin.

After the saw warmed up and a quick carburetor adjustment, I was sort of disappointed not to see much smoke at all. It could be all in my head, but it seems like the saw had just a tad more power.
:coleman::coleman::coleman:

jakethesnake

I Am The Snake
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I figured maybe she’d have a little less. Maybe you had your carb dead on ? I’ve read the argument that oil makes power. Then the argument that it dilutes the octane?? Me. I have no idea. So will you run more or negative. That’s a lot of oil. I’d kick Rex’s ass today.

PissRev

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
@jakethesnake I'm going to stay with 32:1. This experiment was a one off just for old times sake. I do feel like it made just a little bit more power though it could just be in my head. I didn't use a tach, just tuned it by ear. No way it would work with limiter caps in place. The oil was mixed with 90 octane so I don't know what eight ounces of oil in a gallon will bring the octane down to.

Go stomp a mud hole in a T-Rex ass!

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've always wondered why Poulan still recommended stone age 16:1 well into the 90's, when everybody else had switched to 40:1 or 50:1 years before. Wasn't McCulloch already specifying 40:1 with two stroke oil in the 1960's? I've been using 36:1 with synthetic oil for years with perfect results.

jakethesnake

I Am The Snake
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've always wondered why Poulan still recommended stone age 16:1 well into the 90's, when everybody else had switched to 40:1 or 50:1 years before. Wasn't McCulloch already specifying 40:1 with two stroke oil in the 1960's? I've been using 36:1 with synthetic oil for years with perfect results.
How’d you get to that number? Certainly isn’t wrong. Just curious

jakethesnake

I Am The Snake
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You want smoke? Put a splash of Seafoam into the gas tank. Yes, with mixed fuel. Don't run it off straight Seafoam...
Does it help anything? I’ve added stabilizer before. Now I just try to make sure everything gets a batch of fuel containing stabilizer before it’s last run of the year.

Sleeper

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Does it help anything? I’ve added stabilizer before. Now I just try to make sure everything gets a batch of fuel containing stabilizer before it’s last run of the year.

It'll likely get the carbon cleaned out of the ports and off the top of the piston. When I say a splash, think about 1-3 oz of it depending on size of tank. You'll see white smoke pouring out the muffler.

I will see if it helped sometime soon, have to run that saw more to use up the fuel in it and pull the muffler and see if there is any improvement.

One time, the snowblower I have was acting up, wouldn't idle. So I poured about a third of a can of Seafoam in, topped of the gas, and ran it. Cleared right up and needed the carb readjusted for proper mixture as the jets cleared up. Has run well ever since. Once a year, I will put a little Seafoam in it and keep it clear.

BTW, the snowblower is four stroke... so a third of a can won't hurt it.

Last edited:

Fruecrue

certified hand catcher
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have an old (1964 me thinks) John Deere model 19.
Spec. is 16:1.
Loud, slow and smokes pretty good with conventional oil.
I’m about due to exercise the old girl.

CR888

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
4:58 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm not sure I'd ever want to burn 16:1 full synthetic oil in a chainsaw but I'd be comfortable doing it with a good mineral oil. As long as the oil aids combustion and doesn't resist it ie petroleum base, generally speaking 2strokes like oil. Though it would become expensive for me to run such a ratio day in day out.

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
How’d you get to that number? Certainly isn’t wrong. Just curious

I've been a small engine nut since I was a little kid. All through the 80's and early 90's Poulan specified 16:1. Sometime around 1994-1996 they started 40:1 on some models, by 1997 all of them called for it. I think they phased in 40:1 as older models were discontinued and smog regs got tighter.

Wood Doctor

Edwin
Local time
12:58 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Please note that some guys run their 4-cycle gasoline engines using mixed fuel and swear that it runs perfectly, perhaps even smoother. I'm sure that's just a 40:1 mix, but they never tell me what the ratio is. Trade secret, I guess.

Dub11

Saw R skeery
GoldMember
Local time
12:58 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Please note that some guys run their 4-cycle gasoline engines using mixed fuel and swear that it runs perfectly, perhaps even smoother. I'm sure that's just a 40:1 mix, but they never tell me what the ratio is. Trade secret, I guess.

I never have notice any difference when I do it.

jakethesnake

I Am The Snake
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I’ve run it in my tiller. My thought was to try to use it as a stabilizer. I have no idea if it worked. I changed the tiller engine out because it was a pain to keep running.