I messed up my truck paint. Help needed

merc_man

merc_man
Local time
7:16 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ok so i had a bunch of little tar specs all over my hood and desided to clean them off. Scrubbed like crazy for a while then thought about how well magic eraser worked getting bugs off the wifes white car.
After i used it to clean a bunch of the tar spes off i took a break and came back to a bunch of whiteish scuff marks in the clear coat.
Today i picked up some spray on wax to see if it would help. Put a couple.coats on and still ther. Then dexided to get the orbital polisher out and spray and use that.
Its better but still ther.
What do you guys think to try next. Iv heard tooth past can take out small scuffs. Mabe a cutting cream.
Heres a pic. Hard to see. And yes i got about 15 or so spots all over the hood.
6fe0be5f8b3f8c044ec0c87d530c5e29.jpg

Sent from my SM-J320W8 using Tapatalk

Wagnerwerks

I have yet to "suffer" from CAD
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
perhaps trying to scrub the whole truck with the magic eraser, to match the white spots?.
LOL. BEST ANSWER! LOL

If you're not experienced with this, I'd ask a local shop how much for a buff. I use diamond cut buffing compound. I have some McGuire's right now somewhere that I squirt on a 7" buff wheel and go to town. It's all about getting the scratches finer and finer untill they disappear.

expert of nothing

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Ok so i had a bunch of little tar specs all over my hood and desided to clean them off. Scrubbed like crazy for a while then thought about how well magic eraser worked getting bugs off the wifes white car.
After i used it to clean a bunch of the tar spes off i took a break and came back to a bunch of whiteish scuff marks in the clear coat.
Today i picked up some spray on wax to see if it would help. Put a couple.coats on and still ther. Then dexided to get the orbital polisher out and spray and use that.
Its better but still ther.
What do you guys think to try next. Iv heard tooth past can take out small scuffs. Mabe a cutting cream.
Heres a pic. Hard to see. And yes i got about 15 or so spots all over the hood.
6fe0be5f8b3f8c044ec0c87d530c5e29.jpg

Howdy @merc_man My names Drew, Let me ask ya a question. Can you feel the scratches with your thumb nail?

Last edited:

merc_man

merc_man
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
perhaps trying to scrub the whole truck with the magic eraser, to match the white spots?

or be like me and say *f-word it, its a truck...
I know its just a truck but it was my dads. Hes not here no more. it is. Gotta try to fix it.

merc_man

merc_man
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
LOL. BEST ANSWER! LOL

If you're not experienced with this, I'd ask a local shop how much for a buff. I use diamond cut buffing compound. I have some McGuire's right now somewhere that I squirt on a 7" buff wheel and go to town. It's all about getting the scratches finer and finer untill they disappear.
Is that what you use. I was looking at it today. Its a fine cutting cream.
485e71234aa8a1e913bff6a36f26751a.jpg

Wagnerwerks

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Yes... Test a section somewhere inconspicuous... you can do it with a micro fiber but it will take a little time.

You'll have to wax it afterwards with a real paste wax.

expert of nothing

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
No. Cant feel anything. Just looks like a dull spot. Goes away when wet.

That's great that you can't feel it with your nail, you in good shape. Get yourself one of theses circular buffers (not an orbital polisher) you can usually find a cheap brand in a kit with everything you need except for compound for under $50 @ Harber Freight Tools. Buy a bottle of 2in1 compounding/polishing. Take some old bed sheets and cover up all places you don't want compound on, cause it will sling off your pad and impossible to get off plastic surfaces. And last but most important be clean,clean,and did I mention clean lol. Your working with as us painters call the devil's color BLACK, just a little humor there @merc_man. Just go easy and one spot at a time, after you get your compounding done you'll see some swirls in the sunlight so go ahead and wax the area you buff, and hope this helps out, good luck let me know how she turns out. download.jpg

dustinwilt68

Wilt Built Work Saws
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
If you use 1 of these, keep the speed down as low as you can, I used 1 of these for 6 years while doing body work on boats, and have sanded and buffed several cars and trucks after painting them , use different pads with a good buffing compound, start with the wooly 1 and go to smoother foam pads using the same compound and finish off with a good wax, I prefer cleaner wax from Maguires myself, take your time and it will look great again.

Red97

Mastermind Approved!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Them buffers is the devil I tell ya....

Nothing wrong with what the others have said. But be prepared to do the rest of the truck once you finish the hood. It will outshine the rest if done correctly.

Magic_Man

Oh Yea !
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I would see what a local body shop or detail shop would charge for a total buff and polish on the truck. Clear cote is thin and easy to burn through, plus like others said, if you just do the hood you will want the rest of the truck done.

TJ the Chainsaw Mechanic

Old Homelites rule!
Local time
4:16 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Sand the area with 2000 grit....do it with the paper wet....and then hit it with a buffer with a wool pad and 3m number 1 compound. Then use a soft buffing pad and meguiars number 6. Been cutting and buffing my 66's paint and had great results. And if you are worried about making the clear worse....don't...2000 grit soaked in water is like using paper. Mainly just takes enough off to get the scratches out and then the wool pad with the 3m compound will cut through and take out the scratches from the 2K grit......IF done right.

Lightning Performance

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I grew up in a body shop. Take it to an expert to buff. Hand compounding is fine too. You will burn the clear off all the peeks with a buffer. Ask me how I know. If you buff with a real buffer tape off all edges and peeks. you will thank me again after you don't have to compound all the jams to get the compound out. If the jams are filthy no worries just use fine hand compound.

Wagnerwerks

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I grew up in a body shop. Take it to an expert to buff. Hand compounding is fine too. You will burn the clear off all the peeks with a buffer. Ask me how I know. If you buff with a real buffer tape off all edges and peeks. you will thank me again after you don't have to compound all the jams to get the compound out. If the jams are filthy no worries just use fine hand compound.
Good advice. I too grew up as a putty cutters kid.