I don't remember piss revving my old dirt bikes to check tune

Larry B

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
4:28 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Back in the day I had a Kaw 350 Bighorn. One of the guys at work used the same engine flat track racing. When he switched over to Honda 500 thumpers he gave me two pro bilt Kaw 350 full race engines. I converted the bike to a cafe racer. From 0-60 the thing was holy s-word fast but no top end. Nobody wanted to ride behind me because of the black oily crap blowing out of the expansion chamber. Sucked gas like crazy, noisy as hell, handled like crap. I loved that thing.

tickbitintn

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
3:28 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I still ride. KTM 300 with a Lectron carb. I haven't messed with the carb in a while and cant really remember how it works but there are no jets to mess with, just a metering rod. I have the stock Keihin carb also and it is jetted real nice, actually gives the bike more arm ripping power. The Lectron delivers a nice linear power, great for trail riding.
View attachment 169045
Early 2k ish??
That adjustable power valve spring was nice. Lessen the hit for muddy, snowy/icy races... Had a couple of those, great machines.
I raced xc/hare scrambles and gncc's for many years after "retiring" from road racing.

NCPT

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Early 2k ish??
That adjustable power valve spring was nice. Lessen the hit for muddy, snowy/icy races... Had a couple of those, great machines.
I raced xc/hare scrambles and gncc's for many years after "retiring" from road racing.
It's an 07, had 40hrs on it when I bought it in Oct 16. It was completely stock too.

Yes, that adjustable power valve is awesome. I

tickbitintn

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Nice.
So electric start also I would guess. [emoji3526][emoji106]
I raced one of those in the 24hr race (5 man team) in Maplesville AL., rode a 450 the year before. 300 was much better suited and didn't need oil changes during the race.
Didn't need rear brake pad changed mid-race either.
Both bikes were sold after, "raced once" and "low hours".... Lol
Neither were owned by me

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

Wood Chopper

So so sleepy....
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I miss my 300 xcw :( I sent my jug out to Jeff Slavens at Slavens racing for his "mule" port out in Colorado. In the tight trails you could just diesel the bike in a gear higher and just get threw the trails in a hurry soo freaking smooth, electric like. Switch to the soft spring in the power valve so it opens earlier and hold on lol.. My carb was set up real nice but was always curious about the Lectron carbs. Pricey but fool proof by the looks. Supposedly developed by someone that used to drag race if I remember. Gonna be a while before I get anything again.. but if my sone wants to ride when he gets older that will better my chances with the wife. lol I think..

I would like this with a set of street wheels. wheels.jpg

2018-ktm-450-exc-f-7.jpg

Stump Shot

Disciple of Monkey's
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My first dirt bike was a brand new Honda XR75...if we're gonna be giving away our age. lol

Had a few as I got into my teen years and a little older...KX125, YZ125, RM250. Been a year or three since I've rode and cut up on one...my body don't heal quite like it used to!

Lol, mine was a TY90 then a 250 Qualifier.

Terry Syd

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
6:28 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I had a Kaw 350 Bighorn. One of the guys at work used the same engine flat track racing. When he switched over to Honda 500 thumpers he gave me two pro bilt Kaw 350 full race engines.

That's the engine I ran in my desert racer. It could produce more power than a 450 Husky and it had a broader powerband. Big enduro flywheels for controlling the power and putting the power to the ground.

Brilliant engine, a bit heavy for the displacement, but what it could do convinced me that rotary valve engines for two-strokes was the hot set up.

Wolverine

dilligaf
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My dad always tuned my dirt bike (Kawi 80) after carb tear down and clean. I remember him going up and down the road adjusting at wot with a lil screw driver. I was too young to remember the exact sounds of 4 stroking but he apparently knew as it never blew and always ran like a top. I wish that bike had an odo, I put crazy miles/hours on it and the top end was never touched.

shadco

Ban Hammer Custodian
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I was just looking at them on ebay lol How about a Carrabella or Hodaka?

Certainly

Hodaka
Combat Wombst, Super Rat among others

Carabella as I recall was a Mexican knockoff of something.

Ossa, Montessa, Penton, Rickman, CZ of course and Jawa.

Many cool old 2 stroke brands.

Oh and Can Am

Larry B

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Anybody remember the Bultaco? I had one of those 250s in the seventies I think. Didn't ride it as much as I worked on it...

My buddy had a Bultaco trials bike back in the day. He had a bunch of obscure bikes. He had a Ducati 500 desmo. Never heard of desmodromic valves till we worked on that thing.

Duane(Pa)

It's the chain...
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
IIRC the Spanish bikes had shift lever on the right

thedude74

Bonafide & Stuff !!!
Local time
1:28 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Wow. This brings back memories. Started riding on a Z50 Honda followed by an SL70 , xr80, yz100, TT 250, xr200....that's when I was a kid.

Sold my yz490 last year. Rebuilt the rear shock and forks, ran good, new plastics....clutch was shot. Rode it for 5 mins. Damn those things are fun.

zero_sum

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
IIRC the Spanish bikes had shift lever on the right

Yup, some of the old triumphs did as well. My father still has a 650 rickman meteisse & 400 cz in the garage today.

Lightning Performance

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
My cousin had the XR75. Things he did with that little sucker with me on the back made my hair stand up!
I had a MX360 (last dirt bike)
View attachment 168956
My cousin had that very bike. Always hooked right. Dangerous mfer.

Still like the 86' CR250 works bike. That bike could "check out" with my skinny ass on it.
YZ490 was my favorite wheelie machine for long runs. Seven miles down rt206.
My first real bike was an XL100 preceded by the SL50 and the CL70.
The XR80 was a major disappointment following the XR75

Bigmac

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
1:28 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If I am tune on new set up I will pics rev to check the top end tune, as more of a bench jet before I take it out, safe tune. Usually makes for a good break in tune, or if I have an idiot pilot, it needs to four stroke or they will probably burn it down, most pipes fall off to and that helps to ward off over rev, but some people find a way!!

rogue60

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
This makes me lol every time I watch it...:cunaooooo:

rogue60

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The bikes you guy's are talking of are mostly before my time but my 1st bike was a Honda QR50 early 80's from there the rest is history I was hooked..
Anyway I've always liked 2T's here's one of my bikes a 1990 KX250 I fully restored as I type this I'm looking at it in my lounge room! Lol...
The only thing I paid a pro to do was press/rebuild the crank all up cost was about 5k to rebuild the bike I sourced parts from all over the world but worth it you only live once!..

Last edited: