J_M____

Super OPE Member
Local time
2:14 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
2C3344C4-84D8-46FF-82EC-1614F2B7DA16.jpeg

I got one from hl supply. The plating was really nice. The intake and exhaust ports were a little small. A little grinding and beveling and you should be good. No more work than any other aftermarket cylinder, but it has much nicer(and much thicker) plating than any other aftermarket cylinders I have seen. The piston has shorter skirts than a stock piston so it doesn’t hit the case. I clearanced the case and used a standard 54mm piston, the timing #s were weird using the short piston and it would Freeport on the exhaust if it was opened up to a stock size port. The exhaust was tiny. I’ll attach a pic of the port with it marked with red marker when the gasket is lined up next to a farmertec cylinder. I think the standard 52 mm would be less work with similar results

Last edited:

MattG

Chainosaurus Rex
Local time
6:14 AM
User ID
Reaction score
I got one from hl supply. The plating was really nice. The intake and exhaust ports were a little small. A little grinding and beveling and you should be good. No more work than any other aftermarket cylinder, but it has much nicer(and much thicker) plating than any other aftermarket cylinders I have seen.
Thanks JM - I'm buying it!!

Canadian farm boy

“Normal” people scare me.
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You'll have to clearance the cases for the piston skirts. Not sure what cylinder this is cast from but I imagine that the transfer bulges may be wider so they could also be another "extra" obstacle to overcome.
I doubt the crank case will have enough volume to make this cylinder run at it full potential. It may work good but it's gonna take some work and some experimentation to make it work decent.
I've heard of this being done before and the guys were having issues with heat and vibrations.

I personally haven't done a 046BB on a 044/ms440. These are just a few things that I'd be willing to bet will be a challenge

J_M____

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
See updated post. The short piston will clear the case but unless the timing is fixed and ports opened up (and case clearanced for larger piston) I bet you will get more power from a standard 52mm 460 cylinder

MattG

Chainosaurus Rex
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
You'll have to clearance the cases for the piston skirts. Not sure what cylinder this is cast from but I imagine that the transfer bulges may be wider so they could also be another "extra" obstacle to overcome.
I doubt the crank case will have enough volume to make this cylinder run at it full potential. It may work good but it's gonna take some work and some experimentation to make it work decent.
I've heard of this being done before and the guys were having issues with heat and vibrations.

Oh woops, I just pressed Buy it now....

I personally haven't done a 046BB on a 044/ms440. These are just a few things that I'd be willing to bet will be a challenge

Yikes! But then again the last hybrid I did, the 044 was originally a 10mm w/p crank, so I spent friggin ages, clearancing the part of the cases for the crankwheels to clear, so I'm definitely up for an extra challenge.

This one is already 12mm w/p, so I guess I've got less work to do in that area.

J_M____

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If you plan to split the cases It won’t be that bad. See how it looks when you get it. I think they made the ports very short to get the timing better for the short skirt piston. But the ports were so tiny I didn’t think it would make good power. I got a farmertec 54mm piston and it came with standard length skirts, if you go this route you will need to clearance the case a lot. Also I ended up using the base gasket that came with the big bore kit and slotted the mounting holes , less work than modifying the 440 gasket.

MattG

Chainosaurus Rex
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
The piston has shorter skirts than a stock piston so it doesn’t hit the case. I clearanced the case and used a standard 54mm piston, the timing #s were weird using the short piston and it would Freeport on the exhaust if it was opened up to a stock size port. The exhaust was tiny. I’ll attach a pic of the port with it marked with red marker when the gasket is lined up next to a farmertec cylinder. I think the standard 52 mm would be less work with similar results
Sorry JM, our posts crossed over there. I see what you mean now re. the pistons and the clearancing!

Apologies for my earlier misunderstanding :)

I checked out the red marker, so yeah I see what you mean re. port size.

Thanks again, for the info. I'm looking forward to the project already...

MattG

Chainosaurus Rex
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
If you plan to split the cases It won’t be that bad. See how it looks when you get it. I think they made the ports very short to get the timing better for the short skirt piston. But the ports were so tiny I didn’t think it would make good power. I got a farmertec 54mm piston and it came with standard length skirts, if you go this route you will need to clearance the case a lot. Also I ended up using the base gasket that came with the big bore kit and slotted the mounting holes , less work than modifying the 440 gasket.
Well rest assured, I will split the cases. And it goes without saying that there'll be a little bit of port grinding happening too...

J_M____

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You said,

but you said this earlier:

I don't see what you mean, can you clarify?

The kit comes with a piston that has very short skirts to clear the case. If you use this one you really can’t open up the intake or exhause ports much because you will have Freeport issues.
If you get a standard 54mm piston that has the same length skirt as a MS440/460 you will need to clearance the case because the piston goes down into the case maybe 8mm at bdc. This piston would hit the case if not clearanced.

Canadian farm boy

GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I just happen to have a used 046bb kit here. The width of the cylinder at the transfer bulges is the same as an oem 046 cylinder.
As stated the BB piston has much shorter skirts.
The BB piston skirts as approximately.125" shorter. The pin to crown height is the same as oemIMG_6053.JPG

Chainsaw Jim

Con Artist LLC
Local time
11:14 PM
User ID
Reaction score
View attachment 100320

I got one from hl supply. The plating was really nice. The intake and exhaust ports were a little small. A little grinding and beveling and you should be good. No more work than any other aftermarket cylinder, but it has much nicer(and much thicker) plating than any other aftermarket cylinders I have seen. The piston has shorter skirts than a stock piston so it doesn’t hit the case. I clearanced the case and used a standard 54mm piston, the timing #s were weird using the short piston and it would Freeport on the exhaust if it was opened up to a stock size port. The exhaust was tiny. I’ll attach a pic of the port with it marked with red marker when the gasket is lined up next to a farmertec cylinder. I think the standard 52 mm would be less work with similar results
What are the numbers with the short piston?

J_M____

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Sorry I didn’t write it down. I was comparing it to a oem 044 cylinder/piston at the time and it was quite a bit different.

Dub11

Saw R skeery
GoldMember
Local time
1:14 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I just happen to have a used 046bb kit here. The width of the cylinder at the transfer bulges is the same as an oem 046 cylinder.
As stated the BB piston has much shorter skirts.
The BB piston skirts as approximately.125" shorter. The pin to crown height is the same as oemView attachment 100325
What' up with those piston rings?

Canadian farm boy

GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
What' up with those piston rings?
Not sure. I think this kit is a hyway kit. It came on a saw carcass I got. There aren't any identification marks anywhere on the cylinder or piston. The cylinder was likely marked on the base but when it was fitted to the 044 chassis those marks were likely ground off.

J_M____

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I think the Baileys nwp kits came with those weird rings at some point. They also use the shorter pistons in some of their B.B. kits.
I think hyway and the nwp kits are both made in Taiwan, probably from the same casting

Dub11

Saw R skeery
GoldMember
Local time
1:14 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Not sure. I think this kit is a hyway kit. It came on a saw carcass I got. There aren't any identification marks anywhere on the cylinder or piston. The cylinder was likely marked on the base but when it was fitted to the 044 chassis those marks were likely ground off.

So is it really 4 thin rings instead of 2 normal rings?