High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

hyundai generator will not start

RockySawz11

OPE Member
Local time
11:10 AM
User ID
Reaction score
first post here guys so bare with me a bit.

i have a hyundai generator ... model # hhd 7520.

it is getting plenty of fuel to the carb ... i pull the plug and it is soaked with fuel.
it has spark to the plug ... i have visual confirmation of good strong spark.
it has good compression and the key on the flywheel does not seem to be sheered ... meaning the key stock and the key way are in line as best as i can tell. i have not pulled the flywheel.

when i try to start the generator it will crank until the battery dies ... no start.
it will backfire through the carb ... and through the exhaust.

the carb is non-adjustable ... the float is non-adjustable as far as i can tell.

anyone got any ideas?

thanks, shane

Dub11

Saw R skeery
GoldMember
Local time
12:10 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Welcome to the OPE.

@Onan18 might have some insight on these.

AVB

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Try a know a known good plug. Just because it sparks outside the engine doesn't mean it will spark (arc) under compression/fuel load.

RockySawz11

OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Try a know a known good plug. Just because it sparks outside the engine doesn't mean it will spark (arc) under compression/fuel load.
have tried 3 total plugs ... strong spark outside of engine ... it must be sparking inside as the generator is backfiring through the carb and through the exhaust.

when i pull any of the plugs ... they all come out soaking wet with fuel

it is possible there could be something wrong in the valves? ... what would be proper procedure to check and see ... what would i be looking for under the valve cover?

AVB

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Since the plugs are wet and you seems to think you got good compression shut the fuel supply off so the engine get no fuel and see if it is a flooded condition. After with no going in if it is flood should at least a few revs.

With compression I no longer just guess at what it isbut use a compression gauge to see what it is but just me probably If low then do a leak down test to determine where the problem lays in the cylinder.

RockySawz11

OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Since the plugs are wet and you seems to think you got good compression shut the fuel supply off so the engine get no fuel and see if it is a flooded condition. After with no going in if it is flood should at least a few revs.

With compression I no longer just guess at what it isbut use a compression gauge to see what it is but just me probably If low then do a leak down test to determine where the problem lays in the cylinder.
thank you friend ... it'll be monday before i get back at it ... i can borrow a compression tester, so what pressure should i be looking for ?

AVB

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You should be getting around 65-70 PSI minimum. It would be high but many engines have an automatic compression release to make starting easier.