Hybrid Time

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
12:14 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I will never claim that AM parts are the same quality as OEM, and some parts suck or are wrong (like the 440 brake flag we could not get to work … was the wrong part!).

I always replace the piston pin bearing, but I have not had any other bottom end failures on the AM 440s or 660s I have built, and I have done a decent amount of milling with some of the 660s. Also, if you replace the control levers with OEM, the tank holders seem to work real nice, and I like that the fuel tank is mort translucent, you can see if it needs fuel w/o popping the cap!

So, IMO, the fear of using the AM cases, main bearings, etc is overblown. Time will tell, I'll keep and use some of them.

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Not yet Mike. And hopefully you won't get any issues. But when you do, they will be catastrophic. The chinese just cut costs at every corner. Metal in the bearings are not good steel and not heat treated the same as more expensive bearings.
The lists just go on and on. They build and make disposable products. Simple as that.

dustinwilt68

Wilt Built Work Saws
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I might trust using some plastic AM parts, but anything that matters, including the cases for me will always be OEM, time is money and why waste my time doing the job twice, you get what you pay for.IMHO

J_M____

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Any of the safety stickers on the saw (flip cap instructions, brake flag, etc..) are available free from stihl. They want to keep the saws safe and do not charge to replace missing or damaged stickers. I just got a bunch to put on some Chinese plastics. They showed me the decals show $0.00 for cost in the computer( they ended up charging me 1 cent each since their computer wouldn’t let them put it in for free)

I see guys selling them for $3-4 each on eBay, when they are free from the dealer.

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
There is an old saying … the proof is in the pudding, so I plan on testing the pudding. If Asian parts were not available, the 066 I'm working on would never run again, it would just be cost prohibitive. So, if I only get 10 or 20 years use out of it instead of 30 years, I'm OK with that, at least it got to live again!

I think most of the problems with the bearings have been that they were shipped with grit and did not get flushed. I think they are better quality than you think.

huskihl

Muh fingers look really big
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
There is an old saying … the proof is in the pudding, so I plan on testing the pudding. If Asian parts were not available, the 066 I'm working on would never run again, it would just be cost prohibitive. So, if I only get 10 or 20 years use out of it instead of 30 years, I'm OK with that, at least it got to live again!

I think most of the problems with the bearings have been that they were shipped with grit and did not get flushed. I think they are better quality than you think.
I've seen wrist pin bearings and rod bearings go bad on them. But not main bearings.
That's not to say I'm a fan at all. I use Nachi wherever I can and use oem for the proprietary stuff

MG porting

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
9:14 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

I agree with you 100% I've tried telling people who got on me about using aftermarket parts and it's funny I tell them I'm flipping poor but they don't care granted there's oem parts that just make sense and don't really cost too much money and makes them live longer. But this is just my opinion and all my saw's run like I like them to heck even my 064 has some aftermarket parts in it because you can't get some of the parts you need for them anymore.......

Basher

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
1:14 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My Stihl OEM piston is junk I tell ya, only got 3 years and around 80 hours out of it, broke the bottom ring. Am I going to put a new AM piston in it, heck no, I will just put it back in and run just the top ring for another 80 hours. Oh, its a hybrid I built 3 years ago and ported the heck out of it, it also runs around 15,000 flat out every time it gets out cutting.

jacob j.

Lord of Cargo Pants
GoldMember
Local time
9:14 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've seen wrist pin bearings and rod bearings go bad on them. But not main bearings.
That's not to say I'm a fan at all. I use Nachi wherever I can and use oem for the proprietary stuff

The smoothest rolling bearings I've had out of the box are Nachi and SNR. Nothing else even comes close. I've seen new SKF bearing that had "snags" in them
out of the box, but usually those were the ones made in Turkey. The ones made in Argentina have all been good.

brandonstclair20

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
The smoothest rolling bearings I've had out of the box are Nachi and SNR. Nothing else even comes close. I've seen new SKF bearing that had "snags" in them
out of the box, but usually those were the ones made in Turkey. The ones made in Argentina have all been good.

What about slacker bearings?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

redline4

I'm huge in Japan
Local time
11:14 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

They're kinda gay...

I noticed Napa is using them in their economy line of wheel bearings.
First time I saw one I asked the parts guy who was installing this gay *s-word.
I know the box said made in China on it.
Thats all I know about them.

Basher

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
1:14 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

They were the first true ball bearing producers , first made in the 1880`s and were considered the best made bearings when I first went into the marine and offshore mechanical trade during the early 70`s. They became part of the Schaffer group sometime and were still very good quality but their manufacturing went to India and I heard the quality dropped off.