Hybrid Time

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
12:57 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Mike, are you saying that your so bull headed that you can’t even change or own mind?

If I can address the problem with a wider bar groove, than I don't need to change my preferred cutting style, do I???

I also now own many longer bars now, and try to avoid burying the tip whenever possible. I think it also helps to promote longer bar life.

See, I change, just maybe not what U wanted me to change!

huskyboy

Sorta a husqvarna guy...
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
When you bog the saw down too much you loose your oil. The slower the chain spins the slower the pump drives the oil. 8 pin doesn’t get you more oil because it’s only gearing up the chainspeed but not the oiler. So with a 8 pin it wears the bar/chain/sprocket faster than a 7 pin would.

Last edited:

huskyboy

Sorta a husqvarna guy...
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I think too much chainspeed just “skips” over the hardest hardwoods like ash or hickory and dulls the chain faster. Doesn’t dig in and get those nice large chips, makes a lot of dust. Too slow chainspeed cuts too slow... there’s a sweet spot and you experiment with chains and sprocket to suit the individual saw + type of wood your cutting imo.

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Agree with you totally Mason.

I have often said I would rather drop the raker a bit than go to 8 pin.

What works for cutting cookies at a GTG is not necessarily what works for real cutting. Being able to pull through, or out of a pinch, is worth it's weight in gold!

MG porting

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
9:57 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Have to agree with all of you 8 pin is just not cost effective burn more money on bars and chains just to get a little more chain speed is a waste of time and money even if you're cutting soft wood it's just not worth it. :beer-toast1:

AlfA01

Mastermind Approved!
GoldMember
Local time
6:57 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My Doc Al @drf256 , souped up, MOFO, super light saber, lazer blade of an 044/046 hybrid arrived yesterday. :D:):banana::ARMS1:

I've been grinning from ear to ear ever since. What a special saw this thing is. Can't thank Al enough for taking this project on.