Duane(Pa)

It's the chain...
GoldMember
Local time
11:52 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I think I watched all the videos. I will say they all seem rock steady, and easy to tune. I'm sure you have them dialed in some before you hit the log, but they don't seem to be the least bit fussy. Thanks for the effort to bring us all along for the ride.

malk315

Running Saws for Therapy
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hey guys -- need some help finding some parts.

8 pin "large spline" rim sprocket 3/8 pitch for Stihl 044.
Good place to buy Stihl branded lightweight 28" bar online?
Good place to get Stihl RS chain 3/8" for 28" bar online?

I have various sources for Oregon bars, chains, etc. for Husky saws, but find it difficult to buy Stihl stuff online... I've gotten chains from Baileys they work around not being a Stihl dealer somehow but just wondering where you guys get Sithl parts online? Chain I got was for our top handle the picco low profile 3/8" stuff. For the 044 I'll want 3/8 standard stihl RS chain -- bit of a pain to file given how hard the metal is, but I'd like to suit up this saw with Stihl bar and chain.

Worst case I'll hit up my local dealer but would still like to know the part #'s ahead of time.

Thanks -- this is to suit up the new 044/046 hybrid Al just built and documented in this thread :)

malk315

Running Saws for Therapy
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thanks Mike! Sure 0.063 is what I was thinking. I'll search by part # for a bar. Now just need a part # for 8 pin large spline sprocket and RS chain 3/8" x 0.063 and right number of dl for the 28".

Saw has a 7 pin already. So I can easily try that. An aftermarket sprocket probably fine too if perhaps and Oregon number would work. Just not sure if their rim sprocket system is compatible with non Oregon clutch drums like oem stihl...

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

malk315

Running Saws for Therapy
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Nice. Thanks!

If I don't find anywhere else will likely get chain from Bailey's or local dealer. Will shop around for bar by part # and use dealer if need be.

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Check with a few members on here that sell bulk chain made to order.
Julian sells some excellent chain and sometimes has other goodies for Stihl. Check with him in a PM Eric.
@Redbull661

I'd stay away from Bailey's. They are high.

Fruecrue

certified hand catcher
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Check with a few members on here that sell bulk chain made to order.
Julian sells some excellent chain and sometimes has other goodies for Stihl. Check with him in a PM Eric.
@Redbull661

I'd stay away from Bailey's. They are high.
+1 on redbull. I bought a 28” loop of RSK from him a while back then a couple 28” loops of square at Randy’s. Good prices.

malk315

Running Saws for Therapy
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Oh yeah. I know Julian Redbull661 Stihl dealer with some cool 661s or such at last year ny GTG

I'll see if he will get me bar, chain or two, and even the sprocket. Don't mind doing business with him if he's willing to ship.

Thanks guys. I knew you would have the resources.