JohnP

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
1:24 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hello,

I just received a 372XP kit direct from Huztl. I opened the cylinder to inspect it and had some difficulty getting the piston out of the cylinder. The piston and the bore both look good with no noticeable burrs. There are no scratches on the piston. Who ever packed it and shoved the piston in the bore had to give it a pretty good push. I can start the piston into the bore and its gets stuck about three quarters of the way in. (see attached picture)
Huztl 372 Piston.jpg

This is without the rings installed. I can push the piston in farther but it does not move freely by any stretch. Again, I can find no burrs on the cylinder or piston and no scratches on the piston. My thoughts are to contact Huztl and try to get them to replace the cylinder and piston. I know that that may take a while.

Any thoughts on the subject?

Thanks,

John

Czed

Aluminium Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hello,

I just received a 372XP kit direct from Huztl. I opened the cylinder to inspect it and had some difficulty getting the piston out of the cylinder. The piston and the bore both look good with no noticeable burrs. There are no scratches on the piston. Who ever packed it and shoved the piston in the bore had to give it a pretty good push. I can start the piston into the bore and its gets stuck about three quarters of the way in. (see attached picture)
View attachment 155269

This is without the rings installed. I can push the piston in farther but it does not move freely by any stretch. Again, I can find no burrs on the cylinder or piston and no scratches on the piston. My thoughts are to contact Huztl and try to get them to replace the cylinder and piston. I know that that may take a while.

Thanks,

John
Something is out of spec don't force it.
Email customer service
Which they will ignore for awhile
Email cs again
When they respond they will have you
Email a pic to a different email address.
Then they will say they talked to their tech's
And its ok to run.
Then email again until they finally
Relent and replace it.
They actually sent me another cylinder for free and had me keep the first one.
Mine wasn't tapped for the decomp
It is now.
And 3 extra pistons for some reason.
I've had good use out of their parts
But the bb popup hyway kit is much nicer
And a great runner out of the box.

Czed

Aluminium Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hello,

View attachment 155269

Thanks,

John
Welcome to the site

JohnP

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Czed,

Thank you for the reply. I sent Huztl a message and a photo and asked them to send a replacement cylinder and piston. I dealt with a similar issue many years a go on some brand new aircraft cylinders. The bores were a couple of thousandths under size and there were no ring end gaps on the "ready to install" cylinders and pistons. After being told that I did not know what I was talking about and must have measured things wrong I eventually worked my way up the chain. In the end the manufacturer changed their process to let the cylinders cool properly before honing and measuring. The ring end gap issue was due to sloppy work.

I will look into the Hyway popup kit. I just put a new cylinder and flywheel side seal on my fathers MS200 that I purchased from HL. His local shop said was not worth messing with and he was going to junk it. It is now running great without a gasket and .020 squish making 155+ on the compression after one tank and is easy to start. My father is 88 years old and has problems starting most of his larger saws so I am pleased that I was able to get this saw working for him. Unfortunately he is 500 miles away in Michigan so getting things from him and too him is not the easiest. This was my first time working on two cycle engines, but not the last. I have 272xp I picked up from the pawn shop. I talked then down on price due to it only having 130 pound of compression. It runs surprisingly well like this but I have a new cylinder for it and am looking forward to seeing how well it runs with a new cylinder cut for good squish.

More than you wanted to know I'm sure. I'll let everyone know how things go with Huztl.

John

Czed

Aluminium Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Czed,

Thank you for the reply. I sent Huztl a message and a photo and asked them to send a replacement cylinder and piston. I dealt with a similar issue many years a go on some brand new aircraft cylinders. The bores were a couple of thousandths under size and there were no ring end gaps on the "ready to install" cylinders and pistons. After being told that I did not know what I was talking about and must have measured things wrong I eventually worked my way up the chain. In the end the manufacturer changed their process to let the cylinders cool properly before honing and measuring. The ring end gap issue was due to sloppy work.

I will look into the Hyway popup kit. I just put a new cylinder and flywheel side seal on my fathers MS200 that I purchased from HL. His local shop said was not worth messing with and he was going to junk it. It is now running great without a gasket and .020 squish making 155+ on the compression after one tank and is easy to start. My father is 88 years old and has problems starting most of his larger saws so I am pleased that I was able to get this saw working for him. Unfortunately he is 500 miles away in Michigan so getting things from him and too him is not the easiest. This was my first time working on two cycle engines, but not the last. I have 272xp I picked up from the pawn shop. I talked then down on price due to it only having 130 pound of compression. It runs surprisingly well like this but I have a new cylinder for it and am looking forward to seeing how well it runs with a new cylinder cut for good squish.

More than you wanted to know I'm sure. I'll let everyone know how things go with Huztl.

John
The 266/268/272 are some of my favorite saws.
I have several
Just check the cylinder kit for sharp port edges.
I've had to relieve a few over the year's.
The squish on am cylinders are my biggest gripe about them.
They can be cut of course.
But the easiest way is a popup
Hyway has them for 372
50 and 52mm
I'm going to try a 50mm next in a huztl cylinder.

AVB

Super OPE Member
Local time
12:24 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thanks for the heads up on the CS problems. I probably avoid them then as I don't have the time to waste fighting to get a bad part replaced; just easier to avoid the problems ahead of time.

JohnP

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Huztl finally replied and asked me to see if the cylinder bore is round. It is not and it is tapered tighter at the base. The piston is also not round. I did find that if I rotated the piston 90 degrees it would drop right in the cylinder. Typical Chinese quality, very hit or miss and non-existent quality control.

Billy Currie

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I had one like that also. The 090 cylinder. The piston was 0.001" larger than the cylinder. I had to make a video for them to see what was happening. I took a digital force gauge and showed them it took about 40 lbs of force to push the piston into the cylinder. Before they kept telling me to assemble it and "give it a try". They sent me another cylinder without a piston.

I hope your issue is resolved by now.