Huztl 660, odd failure

BrokenSVT

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
2:12 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So I decided to take the Huztl 660 out and give it a real workout. Last weekend, I slapped a 25" Stihl bar and chain on her and tore into a bunch of larger(20-25") Ash at our ongoing job site.

She was running great. I actually commented to my kiddos that it was doing a hell of a job. I was absolutely impressed.

Then she stopped running. Completely. And she wouldn't restart. She took a rest in the mud while I finished the job with the real saws :)

This past weekend I decided to tear into the 660 and see what I could find. First, I attempted to start the saw. Every attempt spun the chain on the bar. Hmm... clutch issues? So I opened her up. Here's what I found:

IMG_20171118_154937.jpg IMG_20171118_154947.jpg IMG_20171118_155008.jpg

Metallic particles everywhere. But from where? The oiler drive decided to machine its own groove in the case. Wtf?
IMG_20171118_155049.jpg
IMG_20171118_155224.jpg

I adjusted the drive, reassembled everything and still have the same issue when attempting to start the saw. The chain spins with every pull. Am I to assume the clutch is bad? Tolerances between clutch and drum? Bent crank?

D B Cooper

44:1 Bel-Ray MC1
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Can we get a pic of the clutch,inside of the drum?
See gouges on the tip of the oil pump drive. Wonder if it was missing the drive slot in the drum.

Basher

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
3:12 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So I decided to take the Huztl 660 out and give it a real workout. Last weekend, I slapped a 25" Stihl bar and chain on her and tore into a bunch of larger(20-25") Ash at our ongoing job site.

She was running great. I actually commented to my kiddos that it was doing a hell of a job. I was absolutely impressed.

Then she stopped running. Completely. And she wouldn't restart. She took a rest in the mud while I finished the job with the real saws :)

This past weekend I decided to tear into the 660 and see what I could find. First, I attempted to start the saw. Every attempt spun the chain on the bar. Hmm... clutch issues? So I opened her up. Here's what I found:

View attachment 97509 View attachment 97510 View attachment 97511

Metallic particles everywhere. But from where? The oiler drive decided to machine its own groove in the case. Wtf?
View attachment 97512
View attachment 97513

I adjusted the drive, reassembled everything and still have the same issue when attempting to start the saw. The chain spins with every pull. Am I to assume the clutch is bad? Tolerances between clutch and drum? Bent crank?

Did you have the cover washer, part# 1122 162 1000 in place and facing the right direction?

BrokenSVT

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
How's the crank bearings? Especially the clutch side bearing

I'm not sure. That'll require more detective work.

Will it start without the clutch installed?? That'd be the next thing I try.

Crank bearing take a dump?

Have someone pull it over with the clutch and clutch cover removed and observe the crank looking for wobble?

I haven't tried without the clutch.

I had to grind the end of the oiler arm off of the one here. Not sure why it just decided to show up on yours though. Would need more investigation as to why I would say.

Mine wasn't right from the factory. I had to persuade it to ride correctly in the case. Obviously my persuasion didn't last forever lol...

Can we get a pic of the clutch,inside of the drum?
See gouges on the tip of the oil pump drive. Wonder if it was missing the drive slot in the drum.

The drum has the notch and I aligned it properly. I was very OCD about that portion of the assembly.

View attachment 97521 View attachment 97522

That was the carnage from your saws little brother. 24" bar in a huge dead ash.
It bogged for a second and i let up on the throttle and Boom! Lost the circlip on the clutch drum.

Ouch. Mine won't hold a circlip because of some creative hammer time I had with the crank. You can see the missing piece in the pics above. But I use C clips and it holds great.

Pics of clutch?

It looks great. I wonder if the drum is out of round or if the clutch springs are junk.

Drum out of round?

Missing a clutch spring?

Drum needle intact?

Remove all of this an start it....should start...if not u have 2 problems at least :(

Yeh everything was intact. I'll try to start it without the clutch.

Did you have the cover washer, part# 1122 162 1000 in place and facing the right direction?

Yeh, the washer was in there properly.

I also pulled the muffler and spark plug to inspect the cylinder. All is well in there. No scoring at all, no signs of distress.

cobey

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
1:12 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My clutch drum was out of round,
But my 064 drum was to, so far mine
Hasn't done that

Cracker Boy

Fl cracker
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Noticed end of your crank is chipped? Was it like that before?
I think he mentioned what happenened to it in his post prev to yours.something about creative hammer time on it during build.

Lone Wolf

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Seems alota problems are showing up on these AM 660/066?
Why are people surprised? Those China parts that need fine tolerances are unacceptable. You can get away with some not even all plastics but engine parts are made way out of tolerance, from cheap material and and not quality controlled or inspected IMOHO!

Keith Gandy

Maxima K2 40:1 87 Pump Gas
Local time
1:12 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Why are people surprised? Those China parts that need fine tolerances are unacceptable. You can get away with some not even all plastics but engine parts are made way out of tolerance, from cheap material and and not quality controlled or inspected IMOHO!
I agree! The failures r catastrophic also and just not worth spending/wasting any money on. I use meteor pistons and had no issues though and feel they r as good as oem? AM carbs were pretty consistent a few yrs ago but lately they r a 50/50 hit or miss for me

Lone Wolf

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I agree! The failures r catastrophic also and just not worth spending/wasting any money on. I use meteor pistons and had no issues though and feel they r as good as oem? AM carbs were pretty consistent a few yrs ago but lately they r a 50/50 hit or miss for me
I found that when you find a carb that works buy a bunch of them cause the next batch may not work. Plastics mostly work,handles,side covers etc. I stay away from internal China crap.