High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

Huztl 440

Kyler Monares

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
1:16 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Hello all, Just received my 361 and 440 kits from huztl. i opened the box and it appears nothing has been damaged in shipping. going to open all the packages in a video. This will be my build thread. To start off here are all the OEM parts i ordered. Heres some Stihl P/N's for the 440

Seal Kit: 1128 007 1050
Intake Manifold: 1128 141 2203
Wrist pin: 1128 034 1501
Circlips: 9463 650 1200
PTO crank bearing: 9512 003 3061
Flywheel crank bearing: 9503 003 0354

also going to use an OEM 3/4 wrap handlebar
FYI: Stihl OEM Decomp valve: 1128 020 9400
Flywheel thread pitch is M8x1 and Clutch is M12x1 Left hand. Info if you would like to make a crankshaft installation tool.

Now that i have the crank i should be able to figure out the thread pitch for both sides so i can make an instalation tool. if anone has any extra advice i would love to hear it all. I also have a sevice manual and IPL for the 440. Should make the build go 10 times easier!
Thanks in advance,

Last edited:

Kyler Monares

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Thanks guys. I started on the 361 tonight because the OEM 440 seal kit hasent come in yet

Kyler Monares

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
So disappointed....... only a few clips of me getting the cases together and other odds and ends survived. The other video files were corrupted..... no more low quality cards for me... I'm just going to write down my findings here on OPE. I currently have 4 more kits en route. Another 361, 440, and 2 660's...
Got the 440 put together. Waiting on OEM crank seals to show up. Installed cylinder and checked squish: even with no gasket squish was still .048.
Next build if the squish is the same I'll have to go and cut the cylinder down. (1950's 9x12 south bend lathe should do the trick)
Cases had minor corrosion. Everything else looked good. Now for missing parts:
white plastic annular buffer cap.
Oil tank cap (they sent the wrong size).
Throttle linkage rod
bar plate cover screw. (M2-M3?)
Other than that all looked well. Ended up with quite a bit of extra hardware as well.
Next 440 build I will definately have a completed video of. I'll have two cameras recording. My DSLRand a go-pro.

Kyler Monares

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
The large brake band spring doesn't seem right. The spring cover doesn't fully seat over it. Almost like the springs diameter is to large or the recess it sits in is to small. The brake functions well however. The handle clears the muffler and plastic top cover. Feels very positive. Almost as good as OEM!

Czed

Aluminium Member
GoldMember
Local time
4:16 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Good to see this been thinking about getting one.

Kyler Monares

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
she runs!!!!!!! L screw and H screw 1 turn out ans she idles fine and is right at 12,500 RPMS at WOT. hasent seen wood yet however.

several things.... did some more research and the chain brake spring that comes with the kit doesnt fit quite right, its basically missing a bend that allows the spring to sit flush in the depression of the case. OEM would be a good choice here. i had a heck of a time getting the clutch drum down. between the tight tolerances of everything inside plus the drum hitting the oil pump line didnt help, all i did was take a screwdriver and push the line down toward the crankcase so everything clears.
my kit was missing the throttle linkage rod. luckily my dealer had a used one. the plastic filter cover and engine cowling look very good and the colors match each other. Plus on the cosmetic side. over all a very good kit and clone of the 440. watch for missing parts and contact huztl. they will work with you and send you what you need. Only proplems i found was slight corrosion on the cases. couple missing AV mount screws. Missing throttle linkage. Clutch drum/oil pump line clearance. chain break spring......
it came with a dual port muffler. no spark arrestors but it is a dual port.... hopefully this weekend ill get what little video i have of putting the saw together and maybe a video of it cuttin some wood too. the 361 is running as well.
On a side note the chain tensioner is rough but its usable. im going to run it as is and hopefulyl i wont need to instal the OEM one i have sitting on my bench.

Kyler Monares

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I cant stress enought the importance of having both the service manual and IPL for your particular model especially if you have never built a saw before. makes life 10-20 times easier. a search here on OPE will get you that manuals you need

Mattyo

Youtube speciawist
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm gonna do a vid on this and the 360 when they come in, any particular tips?

Kyler Monares

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Funny you should ask! I just started putting together my second 440 kit this afternoon.
Using a Meteor piston and cylinder

Flywheel side crankshaft tool: use a 5/8 all thread and find a 5/8's copper pipe
I found a 5/8 dia, 12" long repair coupling at my local hardware store.
Or you can find something else as long as the OD is less than .750 so it can fit into the case and reach the inner bearing race.
ID needs to be bigger than .590 so it's fits over the major diameter of the crankshaft.
I checked squish with the meteor p/c and it came out at .028..... not bad I guess but not perfect?

Kyler Monares

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
2nd 440 kit, another 361 came as well

And again the parts from both kits were all mixed together, pain in the a$$!

This set of 440 cases the corrosion was worse where the cylinder meets the cases. But zero corrosion anywhere else on them... kind of funny

This time cases went together like butter ussing homemade crankshaft tools. Can't take credit for them. Mattyo's idea, thanks again!

Again using OEM seals. I finally got a usable video of the cases coming together. I'm getting ready to edit the video together. Hopefully have it up tonight unless I keep building...

Kyler Monares

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I'm gonna do a vid on this and the 360 when they come in, any particular tips?

I got shorted the throttle linkage again on the 440.
Chances are you will too. Might as well get one of those on order as well as the small metal sleeves that are used on the mounting bolts that attach the plastic engine cowling

Kyler Monares

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
The secret to installing the throttle linkage is to put the master control lever into full choke. That way when you go to take the black handle cover off the trigger and trigger lock stay oriented correctly

stihl_head1982

Here long time
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
2nd 440 kit, another 361 came as well

And again the parts from both kits were all mixed together, pain in the a$$!

This set of 440 cases the corrosion was worse where the cylinder meets the cases. But zero corrosion anywhere else on them... kind of funny

This time cases went together like butter ussing homemade crankshaft tools. Can't take credit for them. Mattyo's idea, thanks again!

Again using OEM seals. I finally got a usable video of the cases coming together. I'm getting ready to edit the video together. Hopefully have it up tonight unless I keep building...

That corrosion on some of these parts coming across the pond can be a major headache. I bought a Hutzl MS390 engine and put it in a saw. There was a problem with the bearings and had to tear the whole saw back down. The engine bolt would not release without a major fight (I've built hundreds of clamshells :mad:). I also have the Stihl bar stud remover tool. After I was finally able to get it to release I noticed down in the last 1/4 of the threads in the pan there was major corrosion. It was the worst bolt I've ever had to remove from a saw. I'm thinking of buying a 440 kit -- but hoping they can get some quality issues resolved soon before I pull the trigger.

Kyler Monares

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
other then the minor corrosion, i say minor because it all cleaned off with a wire brush, the cases for both my 440's looked very good

overall fit and finish seemed better then my first kit. things went together alot more smoothly. Maybe because i already knew what to look for and what parts go where..

This time between the two kits i sure am building up a pile of miscelaneous screws... i also have a pile of rubber peices begining as well. odd shaped ones i have no idea what they are for and they dont match pictures in the IPL. with the way they are shaped im guessing they are for the AV system or bushings..... ill get a couple pictures up in the next few hours.