Absolution

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
7:48 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Have one that I converted to a 090 it's out of service on my fault. The first 090 cylinder I ported and I noticed flaking and for some stupid reason I didn't trash can it there. It ran for about 8 tanks then seized with the chrome flaked off. (I'm an idiot)

I bought a new west 090 cylinder and it was much better quality. However right now it has way too much compression or timing is messed up on new cylinder. Basically I keep telling myself I'll do it during the weekend or during the night. But I don't and it's setting in a box. I had to weld de-comp shut cause it was leaking bad have yet to order a new one. It snapped like 6 starter ropes in a row and I almost tossed it into woods lol.

The stock 070 cylinder on mine however was awesome marked "italy" (whether it was or not) it was an awesome looking one and I put a lot of mill time on it.

This was back when it was running and I just got that bar and a 090 clutch.

I think I only replaced fuel lines and I pinned the governor. outside that I don't think I ever had to do anything to that one. if i remember anything ill post later.

44647499_309823443172532_7261994727134658104_n(1).jpg

Last edited:

Absolution

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Don't worry about them. The 070 is a pretty well done clone since they've been doing it forever.a Also for the cost I would highly recommend buying the prebuilt.

Edit: I do remember one thing that was bad on it. The carburetor had a broken needle. They sent me a new one. The other thing was I put in the decomp and I ended up having to go back and loctite it. It came loose and it took me a good 30 mins to figure out what was going on.

Last edited:

ferris

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
1:48 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Question is: why do u help the Chinese? they copy all the stuff (chainsaws and other stuff) and the original company’s have to fire people because they don’t make enough money.

If some one vote for trump and buy copy’s from China something is wrong

Czed

Aluminium Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Question is: why do u help the Chinese? they copy all the stuff (chainsaws and other stuff) and the original company’s have to fire people because they don’t make enough money.

Lol
This is a forum owned and sponsored by aftermarket company's

Lightning Performance

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score

If you made one new now he would buy it from you. How much for a new 070 from Germany or anywhere they sell German made knockoffs?. Can I get three sent cheap from where? Might just get a pallet if the price is right and they run good. Where do we order? Oh right....it cost too much to buy one OEM and have it shipped. Never mind but thanks.
Maybe we all just go the feebayway and pay some more to get the real thing cause it will really matter for a toy.

Absolution

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

You do realize they are cloning dead patents right? No one is loosing their job to these.
If your argument is well you can buy these saws since they are so cheap put oem parts on it to make it just as reliable as oem for less than the newer production model. Welcome to capitalism.

Also the ms720 is a updated 070 for 3rd world rain forests. Where emission laws and other things like eco FRIENDLY bar oil isn't required. It's like stihl dirty little secret. Also they use clones in those forests as well.

Now you ask why they use the 720? Because it can stand harsh running conditions with little maintenance and crap fuel. Heck i had been using used diesel oil that I filter and put a modifier in for bar oil. (by filter, I mean coffee filter)

Last edited:

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
1:48 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
A company like Stihl is not firing employees due to low profit margins, they do so due to greed and calculated higher profits!

How many European/US Stihl employees have lost their job due to Stihl shifting production to China?

Any manufacturer shifting production to China is doing so only to increase profit, they freely give the Chinese equipment and knowhow.

I own affordable China made products, they are hit and miss.
It is annoying when they don't work or hold up, but it is baffling when a dirt cheap China made product outperforms an expensive brand named quality product.

Just saying, the brand name manufacturers carry a high percentage of the blame!

ammoaddict

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

I bought one of the Chinese ms660 kits as a project and learning experience because it was a reasonable price. It didn't take anything away from Stihl because I would have never bought a Stihl saw this big because I just don't need it. I did buy a couple OEM Stihl parts for this project that otherwise I would have never bought. So it actually helped Stihl a little bit because I bought this Chinese kit. Most of the people I know that have bought these kits are in the same boat as me. Most have bought a couple OEM parts that they otherwise wouldn't have bought.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Nutball

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
6:48 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The 880 has way more power for the weight over the 720. I don't know about torque though, but considering they likely operate at similar rpms, the torque should not be worse with the 880 having both a bigger engine and more power. The 661 would be better power wise too.

I've just never seen a hot rod chinese 070, I'd like to see a video of one beating a chinese 660.

http://www.livingstones.co.za/product/stihl-ms720-chainsaw-105-7cc-4-8kw/

$1120

Last edited:

TreeLife

I'm Dominick
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Gentlemen, I'd remind you I'm asking about experiences with the kit and perhaps some insight on what should truly be OEM and what from the kit is totally usable, including experience with swapping an 090 cylinder onto said kit saw.

Take other discussion such as patents and opinions on Chinese clones elsewhere.

Dub11

Saw R skeery
GoldMember
Local time
6:48 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Gentlemen, I'd remind you I'm asking about experiences with the kit and perhaps some insight on what should truly be OEM and what from the kit is totally usable, including experience with swapping an 090 cylinder onto said kit saw.

Gfy

@Chainsaw Jim should have a good idea of what they need. He has a piped one.

drf256

Dr. Richard Cranium
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Yup Dom.

I’ve got an 070 kit here I got on Deal of the Day. I grabbed an OEM P&C 090 kit NOS off eBay for a reasonable price and an OEM Pin bearing (seems to always be a recommendation) off Definitive Dave.

Hoping to get to it this fall. Dave says most of the parts are better than original oem quality. He says the cases and cranks certainly are. It seems that 50 years of technology can improve a product even if done cheaply.

Again, just going by what Dave told me.

Definitive Dave

Piss Rev Mafia Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Cases, cranks and ignition systems are supposedly much better than the original OEM parts from the days of the Contra, even the recoil seems reliable, the prebuilt 070 clones get high marks pretty much all around though of course they are much slower revving that many modern saws. When making the conversion to an 090 the OEM Clutch is a must of you will be milling or running a bar over 50" and when swapping the top end, it is good insurance to install an OEM piston pin bearing.
Dave

Absolution

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Just as Dave stated. The oem clutch is a must. I found it to be the largest improvement even when I was running the 070 top end.

Edit: when milling keep a few extra filters on hand.