High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

Hutzl MS660 build and observations

YZ250

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
1:19 AM
User ID
Reaction score
I took the saw out on the weekend to cut some firewood and I noticed that the Oiler isn’t working. I ended up overheating a chain after cutting for an hour. I’m not sure at this point if it’s not oiling at all or if it’s just making it to the bar. I cleaned the bar ports out but that didn’t fix the problem. Any ideas where to start looking? I used the Oiler and worm drive that came with the kit

Absolution

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
11:19 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I took the saw out on the weekend to cut some firewood and I noticed that the Oiler isn’t working. I ended up overheating a chain after cutting for an hour. I’m not sure at this point if it’s not oiling at all or if it’s just making it to the bar. I cleaned the bar ports out but that didn’t fix the problem. Any ideas where to start looking? I used the Oiler and worm drive that came with the kit

Check and make sure the oil drive is still there. It's behind the clutch.

YZ250

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Cheers will do. Is that a common fault with the clones? I haven’t done much with the saw since I built it, it’s possible I cocked something up on install.

Absolution

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Cheers will do. Is that a common fault with the clones? I haven’t done much with the saw since I built it, it’s possible I cocked something up on install.

Mine was a prebuilt before I ripped it down. The oiler was grenaded from factory, I've also heard people having collapsed oil pick up lines. But I don't know how common that is. Mine also tried leaking behind wear plate instead of going into bar. I ended up finding another aftermarket one that was much thicker and since then I haven't had problems. But if you aren't seeing any oil I'd check the pump and the drive itself.

YZ250

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Many thanks. I’ll tear it down and report back. I noticed it hadn’t used anywhere near what I expected when I filled it up on Saturday. Maybe 1/4 tank and I think I used a whole tank to drain that much. It should use about one tank of oil per tank of premix yeah?

Absolution

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Many thanks. I’ll tear it down and report back. I noticed it hadn’t used anywhere near what I expected when I filled it up on Saturday. Maybe 1/4 tank and I think I used a whole tank to drain that much. It should use about one tank of oil per tank of premix yeah?
Correct.

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
First thing to check is that the port from the saw to the bar (or the hole in the bar) is not clogged with chips.

Also check that your oil filter is not plugged. Chips getting in the tank over the years can do that.

Adamski

Plebus Splederns
Local time
4:19 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My 660 clone only started oiling when I swapped out the oil hose to the tank for an OEM one. When next to each other there was a noticeable bore size difference.. that solved it for me. I swapped the oiler, worm gear etc before this to no avail too.

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have not had any problems with any of the 660 clone oilers I have done, in fact they seem to work very well for me.

However, I have noticed that if the Oil tank is not full, the oil pump will often not "prime".

My advice is to always fill the oil tank completely on the first run. They seem to work just fine with lower oil levels after that.

Nutball

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
10:19 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Mine pump only did a half tank to a tank of gas when modified, it was the absolute minimum to be running and the chain was obviously dry. They tend to seize completely when there's no oil at all. My pump was also full of metal shavings when it came in my kit, it took a bit of work to completely flush it out (with high pressure squirts from a syringe).

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I see HL Supply has the 660 kits on sale, and the Meteor Pistons (at the same time). A real nice combo (IMO), you can make a real nice saw for about $250 (they have free shipping).

If I were not already up to my neck in 660s, I'd buy another! (I have 5 Asian 660 ones and 2 real 066s)

Last edited:

ucm931

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I see HL Supply has the 660 kits on sale, and the Meteor Pistons (at the same time). A real nice combo (IMO), you can make a real nice saw for about $250 (they have free shipping).

If I were not already up to my neck in 660s, I'd buy another! (I have 5 Asian 660 ones and 2 real 066s)

Saw your post and got an itch for one if these as a first kit saw. I must have missed the boat, HLS currently has it "on sale" for $270.

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
They periodically offer them at lower prices with the "deal of the day". Subscribe and they will notify you daily.

It was rare to have both the kit, and the Meteor piston for it on sale at the same time. May be easier to watch and pick the up separately.

Huztl also periodically runs sales on their saws.

When they first came out with the Blue Cover ones, got one for just over $200 delivered, but have not seen that price since then.

Last edited:

YZ250

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Sorry for late replies - life getting in way of playing in garage.

Took the bar off today, blew everything clean and then ran the saw.

I can confirm that zero oil is making it to the bar. However - I can also confirm that oil is being pumped out of the bottom of the saw - so I know the oilers working. I have the setting on max too.

How far do I need to tear it down to locate this problem? Would it be an oil line that’s come off?

Wonkydonkey

Plastic member
Local time
4:19 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Number 1 in this pic,
To look at the oil pump, is just a case of taking the clutch off. Clean everything up reassemble and run it for a min without bar and chain. Then tear it down and looky for the oil.
DBD1EBFC-9DFA-4D24-8921-8BD987F0E658.png

YZ250

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Did you miss the cylindrical O ring that goes between the pump outlet/case when you assembled?

Quite possibly. Is it a special shape or can I just use one from my grab kit?

Thanks for that pic WonkyDonkey

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It looks like a cut piece of tubing and will fit snug in the case, the pump has a tapered outlet that fits into it.

The path from the bar to the pump is only 2-3" through the case. Make sure your bar hole is not obstructed, and is lining up with the case hole (when you put the bar on).

Oil goes from the pump, through the case, through the bar shield into the bar. Some bars may not line up properly, and bar holes often get obstructed, especially if you flipped the bar.

YZ250

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Thanks heaps Mike. That’s reassuring to know. I can actually remember putting the pump in now, I think for memory I didn’t have the seal and used a tube of liquid gasket to make a seal as I could tell something was missing. I bet some has come out and lodged in the channel or something as i am sure the Oiler worked initially.