Hutzl MS660 build and observations

Wood Chopper

So so sleepy....
Local time
10:44 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
This ain’t no 661 lol. but for what it is it pulls a 36” bar if I need it to,which is rare. I’m gonna turn the H screw in this weekend. She’s got enough tanks through her now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Billy Currie

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Did you install the Farmerteck wrist pin clips? I didn't see that in your list of OEM parts. I've heard of those failing on that model saw. You may want to go OEM on that, or cut the long arm off the clips, I think that was the problem.

Other than that I would like to see a video. No power and clutch slipping sounds kind of like it isn't leaned out enough, but don't know for sure.

Wood Chopper

So so sleepy....
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Did you install the Farmerteck wrist pin clips? I didn't see that in your list of OEM parts. I've heard of those failing on that model saw. You may want to go OEM on that, or cut the long arm off the clips, I think that was the problem.

Other than that I would like to see a video. No power and clutch slipping sounds kind of like it isn't leaned out enough, but don't know for sure.

Hey Billy. For the saw in that video there is nothing oem except the decompression valve. I did cut the ears off the wrist pin clips. The saw is tuned to about 12,800 Next time out shes gonna get leaned out.

Billy just realized you were talking to Op my bad!!!!:hello:

I Know Something

Super OPE Member
Local time
9:44 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I’ve got some more Bigwood coming up I should take a video of this thing have no idea what the timing numbers are I set squish and that was it. I think it’s the HWY. BB. Or might be huztls?
4cd495c4092ed9d5ca6c155ca56bae52.jpg
7f3202a01bae84496e3bcdac7f614d38.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Now that's a pull starter handle!!

YZ250

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
12:44 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Hi All,

So about a month ago a tree came down in my street. It was a government one but I wanted the wood so I took the 660 out there to get it. I didn't get a video because your technically not meant to take the wood I think, but I can confirm the 660 is running well now. I leaned it right out - its revving to 12500 now - and it hammered. I did test cuts next to my other 72cc Chinese saw - which is my primary wood cutting saw - and it blew it away. There was no comparison.

I still haven't made it to my mates farm, but the weather has turned here and my wood sheds almost empty so I will be down there within 2 weeks at the latest. Ill definitely do some videos then and upload to share. Hopefully i'll get to do a side by side comparison with my mates 391 and 661 to see how it stacks up.

Thanks all for the input and advice.

Brendan

YZ250

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Hi Mike,

It was just from tuning the carb. Its probably still breaking in to be honest - ive only put four or five tanks through it. My 9year old daughter took some footage of me using it on the weekend but its pretty dodgy so will require a fair bit of editing before I can upload. I had the full 20 inch bar buried into a piece of brown barrel and it was cutting with ease. The video shows this alternating with various artistic shots, close ups of the ground and unnecessary zoom ins.....

I still really want to do a 'saw off' with some of my mates genuine stihls but that will take some time to organize. In the mean time I am very happy with it! I really want to do an MS200T build now but am baulking at the cost.

YZ250

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Ok guys, here’s a quick vid of it running. Brown Barrel is pretty tough as far as timber cutting goes, but it gets much worse (Iron Bark etc). I reckon it could probably do with further tuning but keen for your thoughts.

Brendan

MG porting

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
7:44 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ok guys, here’s a quick vid of it running. Brown Barrel is pretty tough as far as timber cutting goes, but it gets much worse (Iron Bark etc). I reckon it could probably do with further tuning but keen for your thoughts.

Brendan
Sounds good but who you got running the camera could learn to sit still. Lol.

YZ250

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Sounds good but who you got running the camera could learn to sit still. Lol.
Ha ha, yeah and this is the edited version. Some of the other stuff she took would induce motion sickness.

So you don’t reckon it needs further leaning out? How many RPM should it hold whilst In a cut?

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
As long as it 4 strokes out of the cut and cleans up in the cut you should be OK.

However, some saws run better a little rich, others at the ragged edge of lean.

You just have to learn what your saw likes.

I have heard of tuning it the cut, but the ability to end up too lean doing this scares me.

YZ250

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
As long as it 4 strokes out of the cut and cleans up in the cut you should be OK.

However, some saws run better a little rich, others at the ragged edge of lean.

You just have to learn what your saw likes.

I have heard of tuning it the cut, but the ability to end up too lean doing this scares me.

Thanks mike. Sounds like a day tinkering in the field is in order

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Keep in mind that temp/elevation and humidity changes all may require a change in tune.

Some of my saws are not finicky with this, others are.

MG porting

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
7:44 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ha ha, yeah and this is the edited version. Some of the other stuff she took would induce motion sickness.

So you don’t reckon it needs further leaning out? How many RPM should it hold whilst In a cut?
Like what mustang Mike said he beat me to the punch.lol

huskyboy

Sorta a husqvarna guy...
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Most saws will cut the fastest loaded at 9-10k in cut I have found. Don’t tune to a specific rpm in the cut just tune it normally like Mike said.