Best Buy Co, Inc. Buy Used Saws CCC Ebay Store HLSupply Daily Deals

Hutzl MS660 build and observations

Discussion in 'Sub-forum for these Rice Burner 660 builds' started by YZ250, Nov 13, 2018.

1. YZ250

YZ250 Active OPE Member

I bought my MS660 kit from Hutzl in October this year, it arrived to Australia about 7 days later and cost $225 USD landed and it certainly looked very good. I followed the advice of others and bought an OEM little end bearing, gasket kit and decompression valve but besides that I used all the farmertec parts.

The kit went together really well. I followed the videos of Tractor Tech to do it - so thanks for uploading if your out there reading this.

Cases went together really easily with the hot and cold method, however I did inadvertently push out one of the crank bearings a bit which meant my oil pump wouldn't go on. Once I had tapped this bearing back in it was all smooth sailing. Assembly took about 5 hours from start to finish I think. I wasn't missing a single part from my kit - not one. In fact I virtually didn't have any extras either...just one M4 screw which I think I was meant to use on the chain tensioner cover plate (I actually put a little black slot head screw here which was also M4, and which I had two of in my kit).

Squish was measured at .020 on one side and .023 on the other which I think should be fine.

The saw started on the fourth pull which was exciting (and relieving). I am going to use this as a dedicated slabbing/milling saw and must admit I am a bit nervous as this is heavy duty work. I'm conscious that Tractor Tech blew his machine up in short order so I am going to run mine at 33:1 mix in the hope that the extra oil will at the very least give me extra piece of mind.

I'm going to my mates property this weekend where I will try to break the saw in gently before making some slabbing cuts. I'll keep you posted on how I go.

Brendan

2. Wood Chopper

Wood Chopper Pinnacle OPE Member

Break it in. Tune it, and enjoy it. Let us know how the milling goes.

smokey7, YZ250 and MustangMike like this.
  3. MustangMike

MustangMike ONE OF THE GREATEST!

I've done a good deal of milling with them (Oak + Hickory) w/o any failures (except a AM piston pin bearing after about 10 tanks). I like to use the Cross P+C, but the bottom ends seem to hold up very well.

YZ250 likes this.
  4. YZ250

YZ250 Active OPE Member

Thanks for the feedback fellas. It’s good to hear others having positive experiences with the kits. I forgot to mention that I checked the cylinder carefully and it didn’t have any of the sharpness issues around the ports that others have had. Interestingly though, there was clear evidence that someone had been in there with a dremel and filed off the edges of the ports. Perhaps they have been making improvements to the kit following feedback?

MustangMike likes this.
  5. MustangMike

MustangMike ONE OF THE GREATEST!

More likely luck of the draw, some 12 year olds do better work than others, but glad you got a good one.

Often it is the bottom of the exhaust port (which you can not see) that is not properly beveled, even when the top looks good.