Hutzl 372xp rebuild kit for OEM 372xp

NPKenny

Super OPE Member
Local time
8:57 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have a really rough OEM 372xp (2003 model) that is mostly tore down and 95% complete. I purchased it like this in a box with a few Stihl pro saws.

The saw will need to come apart for bearings and I have no idea on the crank, yet.

The cylinder will clean up well and the case halves look excellent.

Based on the box saws I have built before, I think this saw is too far gone to affordably be built with all OEM parts.

My first thoughts are to replace the piston with a Meteor 371XP single ring, clean-up and port the cylinder, and use a Hutzl kit for all of the plastics and small parts that I expect to nickle and dime this build. i have never handled the Hutzl parts for fit / finish, nor the rubber parts.

I'm looking for some discussion points and recommendations. Thanks!

Leafy

Super OPE Member
Local time
11:57 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Huztl plastics are a much different shade than new husky plastics, lighter and yellower. I guess if the saw was left in the sun for years that they would be pretty close. In my experience the plastics didnt have much flash to clean up and fit acceptably. The recoil housing plastic just looks extra cheap and *s-wordty though, I'm sure its strong but it has that dollar store plastic item look.

NPKenny

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Huztl plastics are a much different shade than new husky plastics, lighter and yellower. I guess if the saw was left in the sun for years that they would be pretty close. In my experience the plastics didnt have much flash to clean up and fit acceptably. The recoil housing plastic just looks extra cheap and *s-wordty though, I'm sure its strong but it has that dollar store plastic item look.

I was really hoping the plastics were a high point of the kit as the cosmetic parts are a concern here.

Leafy

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Honestly they're crappy looking but functional. My biggest issues were a couple missing parts, the small end bearing not looking right (had a cage like a clutch bearing), and they miss machined my big bore kit, but I was porting it anyways.

NPKenny

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
For reference, what would factory plastics, recoil, and clutch cover cost for a 372?

As I’m looking at it, I’ll want better crank bearings and seals anyway. Maybe rebuilding with a Hutzl kit here is a false economy.

Czed

Aluminium Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The huztl farmer tec plastics work fine
I've built several saws
Using their parts
The plastics are not as well finished
But i don't care
They are durable.
The recoils and clutch covers
I've used a few year's still no problems.
Better color match than the 268/272 platics and clutch covers.
The huztl intake boots and seals have
Held up fine.
The fuel and impulse line's not.

J. Loe

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
10:57 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I’m interested in doing a hutzl 372 and I’m wondering if the$79 they want for shipping is a joke?

Wtf?

dustinwilt68

Wilt Built Work Saws
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I would think if you have all the parts you have stated and can reuse the cylinder bwith a meteor piston that you can build the saw for around the same price all OEM as buying a kit and not using half the parts in it, of course I get better pricing on husky parts then most bit I think you could still do it.

Husky268

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Have you seen the 365/372 complete case with crank and big bore kit already put together from huztl i have bought 5 of these for about 85.00 and free shipping. have had no problems or complaints about them and they run great
cant beat that price just bolt on accesories and your done.

J. Loe

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
10:57 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Have you seen the 365/372 complete case with crank and big bore kit already put together from huztl i have bought 5 of these for about 85.00 and free shipping. have had no problems or complaints about them and they run great
cant beat that price just bolt on accesories and your done.

Fantastic!
Thanks man.