Husqvarna XP550 top handle mod

Eivind

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
9:29 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Hello.
I have both Stihl 150 and Husqvarna 540 top handle saws. Both are ported and runs really well. But for larger trees I often use a ported 550 when climbing. The cutting power of the 550 is really so much greater than the 540.

However, the absence of top handle on the 550 makes it impossible (or at least quite dangerous) to use it onehanded. And some branches need to be pushed by a free hand to make them land in the safe drop zone. Other branches need to be held by a free hand and thrown to safe drop zone.

Yes, I do realize that the weight distribution and shape of a 550 would place the top handle far away from centre of mass, and I am not contemplating converting a 550 to all-round climbing saw.

What I do wonder is if someone has fitted a top handle on one, so it can be used both in regular twohanded mode (with right hand on the rear handle, and in tophandle mode with either hand on the top handle that would have to be fitted from the front og the rear handle over the top cover to middle of the front handle. And equipped with throttle AND throttle trigger lockout. If someone has tried this, I might save a lot of trials and errors reinventing the wheel.

I do relalize that a saw with top handle is inherently more dangerous than a rear handle saw, and I do not reccoment anyone trying this at home.

Would there be any other saw in the 50 cc class that would be better suited to this (that would be a saw with lower profile due to horizintal cylinder orientation ?

Very grateful for constructive input. Wishing you all a wonderful day.

Yours Eivind.

Steve

Excellence!
GoldMember
Local time
2:29 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
What are you cutting that is too large for a 540 but small enough for you to hold/throw with one hand?

Just get the 540 ported. Or a comparable stihl ported.

Rob Stafari

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
3:29 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You should really be trying to one hand the saw as little as possible. There are other methods of cutting which allow you to maintain better control of both the saw and the piece of wood while eliminating the dangers created by holding a saw with one hand and reaching over it with the other.

That being said, never heard of anyone converting any saw that didn't have a top handle option from the factory to a top handle. 540t is at the top of its class for husqvarna. Beyond that with current models you are into stihl 201t and echo 355t territory and I do believe you will end up with the same problem with either of those as well. After that it is hunting down a 200t, the holy grail of top handle saws. Still end up with the same problem in the end. There is a reason they stop putting top handles on them as they get larger and more powerful...

Eivind

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
What are you cutting that is too large for a 540 but small enough for you to hold/throw with one hand?

Just get the 540 ported. Or a comparable stihl ported.
I wrote : "I have both Stihl 150 and Husqvarna 540 top handle saws. Both are ported and runs really well".

Funky sawman

Pony Power
Local time
12:29 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Sorry, i forgot by the time i got to the end.
Yep, i hear you there. Reading a long post, I usually forget the first coulple paragraphs and have to read the whole post 5 times or more to get it sunk in. Getten older with a TBI, I guess thats what i have to blame it on.

Eivind

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Well... I did write the long post to clearly specify what I needed help with, hoping to avoid non-helpful replies like "Stihls are better" and "tophandlesaws are dangerous" etc.

Stump Shot

Disciple of Monkey's
GoldMember
Local time
2:29 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Well... I did write the long post to clearly specify what I needed help with, hoping to avoid non-helpful replies like "Stihls are better" and "tophandlesaws are dangerous" etc.

Maybe a different bar and chain combination for your existing top handle saws to take advantage of the ported power and cut more efficiently?

Eivind

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Have tried various bars and chains, and ended up with Stihl 14" 1,1mm 3/8pico for the Husky540, and Stihl 12" 1,1mm 1/4pico for the Stihl150. My 550s run Cannon Supermini 16" with TXL chains.