Last edited:

PogoInTheWoods

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
8:29 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'd stick with a sprocket nose setup all the way for the conditions you describe. Gonna be enough heat generated on the bar as it is. A Hardnose would just be rougher on the saw, sprocket and the chain. And you may be surprised at the performance of 3/8's semi chisel if you haven't used it before. It's designed for rugged conditions, though no chain likes eating sand regardless of pitch and cutter type.

Absolution

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'd stick with a sprocket nose setup all the way for the conditions you describe. Gonna be enough heat generated on the bar as it is. A Hardnose would just be rougher on the saw, sprocket and the chain. And you may be surprised at the performance of 3/8's semi chisel if you haven't used it before. It's designed for rugged conditions, though no chain likes eating sand regardless of pitch and cutter type.

Only semi chisel I have used is 404 and low pro. I've however switched for stihl full chisel for the arborist saw.

PogoInTheWoods

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That's very cool. Bet the vinyl folks are lining up for copies already..., to re-sell for crazy money if the production quality is any good.

how57

It’s a city! Not a smoke!
Local time
5:29 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Have this 272K. How would it do with a winch on it rather than a cut off saw?BAE39662-B618-4D39-B01B-83B8D61679EA.jpeg7AB25F74-1F9D-4620-ABEE-62B161C6A8A7.jpeg

PogoInTheWoods

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It would definitely have less filtration issues. LOL

I'd think it'd be a great candidate for a winch setup. You thinking Lewis. or homegrown?

how57

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

I'd think it'd be a great candidate for a winch setup. You thinking Lewis. or homegrown?
The saw runs. It really needs to be gone threw. Not sure if I want to do that. Or just sell it. Is there ever a market for them?

The winch is a cool idea. Don’t know much about them. If I do that I’d like to find a used one for a reasonable price.

PogoInTheWoods

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
First chop saw based on a 372 that I've ever seen. Adapting it (and any other chop saw) to a winch is a great idea since an oiler shouldn't be necessary for the winch hookup. 'Course you'd need a greater purpose for a winch than a chop saw to go through the motions..., and a good winch, of course. Lewis is the premier unit and runs around a grand new. Don't see used ones very often cause they work well for all types of loads and situations. Can pull 4000 lbs. in a straight line and up to 8000 lbs. with a snatch block. I've even seen videos of climbers using them for ascending rigs. Versatile unit.

how57

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
First chop saw based on a 372 that I've ever seen. Adapting it (and any other chop saw) to a winch is a great idea since an oiler shouldn't be necessary for the winch hookup. 'Course you'd need a greater purpose for a winch than a chop saw to go through the motions..., and a good winch, of course. Lewis is the premier unit and runs around a grand new. Don't see used ones very often cause they work well for all types of loads and situations. Can pull 4000 lbs. in a straight line and up to 8000 lbs. with a snatch block. I've even seen videos of climbers using them for ascending rigs. Versatile unit.
I looked at them on line. Not cheap. And like you said. You’d have to have a use for it.
If it was a larger saw I would consider using it for a mill. A guy could figure out how to get the chain oiled. If I had a use for it I’d keep it. Should probably just sell it as is.

Absolution

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So guys I ordered a bar adapter then bought an archer 20" ms660 bar in 404. So far I'm actually very pleased with it for the price. I'm curious about the long run with bar wear. The 404 does hold up a lot longer if you are bucking.

Now, the down side to all this was I was convering a 375k to a chain saw and had ordered a Chinese 372xp for the cutoff saw. My father has fell in love with the clone saw.... So I'm stuck at a cross road, do I let him have the saw or do I continue my adventure.

Edit: what is the walbro on a factory 372xp/372xpw?

lehman live edge slab

Live Action
Local time
7:29 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My tree service buddy came over and dropped the Husqvarna 540t off again said you can have it I don’t ever want it in my possession again. It ran fine for the first 3 months then acted up local shop said it was burned up he brought it to me and I checked compression and it had about 150 according to my push against plug hole gauge because I don’t have the adapter for my screw in. Got saw started and did the reset by holding it wide open and cutting steady for 4 to 5 min. Runs decent while cutting but stumbles at idle sometimes it stays idling just barely for about 45sec other times it dies right away. I’m going to get a bore scope and check the cylinder but if it’s clean and not scored then I suppose I need to change the whole carb. Didn’t see any solenoids just complete carbs on eBay. Anybody have ideas? I figured since he gave it to me if I can get it running right I’ll have a top handle for deer stands ect.

chipper1

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My tree service buddy came over and dropped the Husqvarna 540t off again said you can have it I don’t ever want it in my possession again. It ran fine for the first 3 months then acted up local shop said it was burned up he brought it to me and I checked compression and it had about 150 according to my push against plug hole gauge because I don’t have the adapter for my screw in. Got saw started and did the reset by holding it wide open and cutting steady for 4 to 5 min. Runs decent while cutting but stumbles at idle sometimes it stays idling just barely for about 45sec other times it dies right away. I’m going to get a bore scope and check the cylinder but if it’s clean and not scored then I suppose I need to change the whole carb. Didn’t see any solenoids just complete carbs on eBay. Anybody have ideas? I figured since he gave it to me if I can get it running right I’ll have a top handle for deer stands ect.
Not sure, all the ones I've had ran great, strong little saws.

how57

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Found a 268 case and clutch cover. A 61 top cover. 266 intake elbow and velocity stack. Everything else is of the 272K.C4BB8F45-02D5-47E4-8F80-C654AC6D5801.jpeg052A4CB7-AAA5-405D-835B-E6DCB55586F5.jpeg67C4B7FE-AFD4-44F8-9973-E21F3BCD1DDC.jpeg