Muffler Modded Member
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
2:52 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I bought a Husqvarna 18542 riding mower last summer to replace an old Craftsman that needed to be retired. At first the new mower worked fine, but very soon I noticed that the transmission was acting up. It would bog and load up the engine if I pushed the forward pedal further in while going uphill. Reverse seems to be hit and miss. Sometimes it goes, sometimes not. My yard is kind of hilly, so when the mower slows down because I turn to go back up the hill and I push the pedal further in, is when I'm having issues. If there's a spot where I need a little extra oomph and push the pedal in to speed up a little, it loads up and slows down again.

I bought this mower from my local Husqvarna dealer, where I also get saw parts from. I've bought saws, and a blower from them, as they've been my preferred dealer, hence the reason for going back when I needed the mower.

Last summer when I first complained about the issue with the transmission, they took it in and made some adjustments, at least that's what they told me. It seemed to be better, and I used it for the rest of the season. I also complained about a shake while the deck was running, and was told I had to have hit something. I can't remember hitting anything, but took their word for it. I replaced the blades to make sure everything was good, but it still shakes. This shaking started right as I was about to use it for the second time since new.

This year, I started using the mower again, and after a few times I started noticing the transmission issues again. After mowing a couple more times, I decided to bring it back again, since it was still under warranty.
They had it for a month, without any kind of communication with me. When I called to ask how it was going, I was just told I would get a call when it was done.
After the month of waiting, and grass growing, they finally called and said it was ready. When I picked it up, I asked what was wrong and what had been replaced. The answer was that there was an updated part installed, and all should be good. Covered under warranty.

I used it once, and it seemed fine. The second time I'm using it, it's the same story all over again. The same issues are there. I go back up to talk to them, and they tell me to bring it back in again.
I dropped it off two weeks ago, and still haven't heard anything from them.
I'm a very patient guy with stuff like this. I manage a small shop in a similar setting, so I know all the little things that can go on, but communication is key. Customers appreciate it when they are in the loop, and they are much more understanding when you keep them informed. Even if it takes a little bit of time to figure things out.

My question is if this model of mower is known for transmission problems, or if I got a lemon, or if am I using it wrong? Is this model not suited for hilly yards?
I mow my own and my elderly neighbors lawn with it, and I use it to tow a little trailer around in the firewood season.
I'm getting a little tired of waiting, but would like to know a few facts before I go up and talk to them again. Calling won't give me any answers.

I know we have several Husqvarna dealers and shop employees here on the forum, and was hoping someone could help me shed some light on this.

Sorry for the long post.

CoreyB

Yep I am your neighborhood coffee man
Local time
1:52 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Husqvarna has has a transmission problem and the one I felt with had a crap ton of hoops to jump through before finally getting a replacement. If they are having to do the same it can be a series of trouble shooting documents, waiting for a response and what they will pay for next. If the dealer doesn't do each step then there is a chance they will not pay for the warranty. It can be a challenging process especially if they don't do it very often.

SOS Ridgerider

Muffler Modded Member
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Husqvarna has has a transmission problem and the one I felt with had a crap ton of hoops to jump through before finally getting a replacement. If they are having to do the same it can be a series of trouble shooting documents, waiting for a response and what they will pay for next. If the dealer doesn't do each step then there is a chance they will not pay for the warranty. It can be a challenging process especially if they don't do it very often.
Thanks Corey. If what you're describing is a normal procedure for the dealer to have to go through, I'll wait a little longer before contacting them again.
I try to be as easygoing as possible when stuff like this happens, but I also need to mow the lawns.

CoreyB

Yep I am your neighborhood coffee man
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
It doesn't hurt to ask them. And it shouldn't be a secret if they are having to deal with something like that. In fact I try to be as clear as i can so the customer knows ahead or at least updates.

SOS Ridgerider

Muffler Modded Member
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It doesn't hurt to ask them. And it shouldn't be a secret if they are having to deal with something like that. In fact I try to be as clear as i can so the customer knows ahead or at least updates.
That's what's missing here. There's absolutely no communication whatsoever from them, and if I ask, I'm just told they'll call me when it's done.
I do that same as you. I try to keep the customer updated on what's going on. Everyone's happier when that happens.

AVB

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Sounds like you got the YTA version with the General Transmissions RS800P transaxle. If so then your in for a lot drive problems as these have giving nothing but drive problems on hilly terrain or towing. On top there is only limited parts available to fix these and there is no internal parts available from General Transmissions.

SOS Ridgerider

Muffler Modded Member
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Sounds like you got the YTA version with the General Transmissions RS800P transaxle. If so then your in for a lot drive problems as these have giving nothing but drive problems on hilly terrain or towing. On top there is only limited parts available to fix these and there is no internal parts available from General Transmissions.
It does have the General Transmissions transaxle, and yes YTA.
That sucks! It sounds like they probably replaced it with another one of the same kind then, if that's all that's available. Do you know if Husqvarna has a fix for it?
Different manufacturer of transmission? They can't just leave it the way it is. It sounds like I'm not the only one with this problem, from what you're saying.
It is more or less useless for me, since both my yard, and my neighbors yard is hilly.
I hate to be a dick, but if it will never work in my yard, I'm going to have to ask for my money back, so I can buy a mower that works. Now I feel bad for the dealer, who has to deal with it.

Dub11

Saw R skeery
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I know my Husky dealer doesn't stock these models for this reason. Say he'll fix them all day long. Majority of his sales is mowers so I believe him.

Last edited:

paragonbuilder

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Sondre 2 things,
First if you need to mow your lawn, I know it's a pain in the ass, but come grab my zero turn.
Also I have an older husky rider that the deck rotted. But it runs fine. If you get stick with this thing maybe we can make your deck work on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

backhoelover

SERVICE MANUAL MASTER
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
All newer trans are junk. The newer John Deere trans are plastic. I went to buy a John Deere and wanted the d170 but it doesn't come in 5 speed so I had to buy a l 130 5speed if I remember correctly. If you can buy hydro gear I think there the best. Stay away from general, tuff torq etc

SOS Ridgerider

Muffler Modded Member
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Sondre 2 things,
First if you need to mow your lawn, I know it's a pain in the ass, but come grab my zero turn.
Also I have an older husky rider that the deck rotted. But it runs fine. If you get stick with this thing maybe we can make your deck work on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks Dan. I'll be in touch soon.
The deck on this one is very generic, so I wouldn't the surprised if that might work.

SOS Ridgerider

Muffler Modded Member
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
All newer trans are junk. The newer John Deere trans are plastic. I went to buy a John Deere and wanted the d170 but it doesn't come in 5 speed so I had to buy a l 130 5speed if I remember correctly. If you can buy hydro gear I think there the best. Stay away from general, tuff torq etc
I wish I had known to stay away. I've always bought everyone else's used up old mowers, and this was supposed to be a relief from having to tinker with them every time I used it.
I believe this one is plastic too.

Nitehawk55

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Does MTD make the Husky like many other makes ?

You might be wise to up the talk with the chain of command at Husky , also the dealer should be supplying you with info on any warranty repairs done on the machine , it's not a damn secret and you as the owner have the right to know !! You should have that info before you contact Husky , if the machine is a lemon then they should replace it . I don't know how these companies get away with selling junk .

SOS Ridgerider

Muffler Modded Member
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Does MTD make the Husky like many other makes ?

You might be wise to up the talk with the chain of command at Husky , also the dealer should be supplying you with info on any warranty repairs done on the machine , it's not a damn secret and you as the owner have the right to know !! You should have that info before you contact Husky , if the machine is a lemon then they should replace it . I don't know how these companies get away with selling junk .
I don't think this is an MTD. It's a Husqvarna made product, but they also make mowers for other companies, like some of the Craftsman and Ariens. MTD does other Craftsman mowers, and Troy Bilt, Cub Cadet, Toro and White. I'm sure there are other brands in the mix as well.

I'm going to wait a few more days before I go back up to the dealer.
This thing has had the same issues over and over since the second or third week I had it. The dealer should have all that info. I have no problem getting a different mower and paying the difference. I just need one that works.
If nothing comes of my next visit to the dealer, I'll have to take it up with Husqvarna.
Had I been told it didn't work on hilly yards, I would never have bought it.

MarkEagleUSA

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Husqy riders are made by AYP which I think is owned by Husqvarna.

SOS Ridgerider

Muffler Modded Member
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Update:

I went up and talked to the dealer this morning. They are talking to Husqvarna to see if they can get a whole new transmission for my tractor. Should know in a couple of days. They said the transmission was updated, and should be better. I honestly don't have much faith in the new one, even if it is updated, since my yard is so hilly.
If they do get a new transmission for it, and it doesn't work, they offered to take the tractor back and get me a different model. Very good of the dealer to offer this.
My question to you guys is this: Which model should I look at? I really don't want/need anything bigger than a 42" deck, and I want hydrostatic transmission this time.

I'm looking at these 4 different mowers to possibly replace it:
http://www.husqvarna.com/us/products/riding-lawn-mowers/yth22v42/960430216/
http://www.husqvarna.com/us/products/riding-lawn-mowers/yt42cs/960430222/
http://www.husqvarna.com/us/products/riding-lawn-mowers/yt42ls/960430230/
http://www.husqvarna.com/us/products/riding-lawn-mowers/yt42dxls/960430220/

Any input and recommendations based on experience is appreciated. Who do we have here on the site that is a Husqvarna dealer or work at one?

Dub11

Saw R skeery
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Update:

I went up and talked to the dealer this morning. They are talking to Husqvarna to see if they can get a whole new transmission for my tractor. Should know in a couple of days. They said the transmission was updated, and should be better. I honestly don't have much faith in the new one, even if it is updated, since my yard is so hilly.
If they do get a new transmission for it, and it doesn't work, they offered to take the tractor back and get me a different model. Very good of the dealer to offer this.
My question to you guys is this: Which model should I look at? I really don't want/need anything bigger than a 42" deck, and I want hydrostatic transmission this time.

Any input and recommendations based on experience is appreciated. Who do we have here on the site that is a Husqvarna dealer or work at one?
@Onan18 and @Spike60

Onan18

OPE Sponsor
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Update:

YT42DXLS