Derf

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
5:19 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Cost certainly.
-Up front cost is high. A new 372xp x-torq or 576xp might be cheaper, I'll bet, once we see pricing state-side. But especially compared with a used 372xp or 576xp, it's a lot to outlay.
-Dealer support for software updates and any electronic hang-ups, compared to independent mechanics or a DIY, will be higher.
-if the bigger bearings are proprietary and not 6203 standard I can see higher cost of maintenance parts.

It's more complex.
With my old 372xp it was four bolts to remove the cylinder from the case, and the whole carb and muffler came off too. Plenty of room to get eyeballs and fingers around things and work out a fuel line replacement or assess a torn rubber boot. But my 562xp is like a puzzle box. You have to take half the saw apart, in a specific order, to get to a point you can see what's what, or change a part out. That means there's more of a learning curve for DIY fixes, more headache when it's occasional stuff you don't remember how to do, or more cost to a shop/mechanic who has to spend more time on the saw.

Less room for improvement.
Because of all the electronic nannies and EPA limits, there is less ability to do the old tricks for more power. That can be a good thing, since out of the box the saw will likely be very strong. But with the CAD design, simulations, and engineering going into these new saws, they aren't even leaving as much power behind on the table when they make it the way they do. With an older 372xp you can do a farmer john muff mod, do a base gasket delete, shave the key on the flywheel for ignition advance, or open up the intake and exhaust with a dremel, or do a full blown base/squish cut and port adjustment. All to chase 10-25% more power. That extra gain beyond stock can be pretty fun to chase and satisfying to find. I will bet these newer saws maybe gain 5-10%, even once builders figure them out and have their recipes dialed in. That kind of takes some fun out, and less potential to tweak/change things.

I'm still excited about trying one of these new saws. I think it's cool that they have their power-to-weight ratio chart to show that this new saw makes more power than the old 372xp. But I'd love to see how a ported 372xp compares to the 572xp.

Mostly I just get tickled that auto-tune does the job of adjusting the mix on the fly better than I can/would.

rocco490

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I think the new saw will love compression and make excellent gains once they find what porting and port timing it likes. Really digging the long stroke design and beefed up bottom end!

mdavlee

Hillbilly grinder
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Long stroke will let you run higher exhaust than other saws. Which I like higher exhaust than most everyone else.

Derf

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
@Mastermind
From your experience porting the 372xp, how much performance gain can be expected/achieved over stock?

Also, from your experience with the newer 550xp and 562xp, how much room for improvement is there?

I'm thinking Husky is getting better at not leaving power out of the newer stock saws.

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
4:19 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
@Mastermind
From your experience porting the 372xp, how much performance gain can be expected/achieved over stock?

Also, from your experience with the newer 550xp and 562xp, how much room for improvement is there?

I'm thinking Husky is getting better at not leaving power out of the newer stock saws.

A 25 - 30% gain is realistic.

Sleeper

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Send me one......

Hmm... I will have to... sounds like a trip to Europe to pick one up and stuff it in the suitcase is in order...
Both.

More gains are possible.......but keeping the saw alive in the long term gets trickier.

What kind of gains can be expected with a 372 XTorq? I mean for a reliable work saw.

And is it more of a low rpm grunt like the XPW, than high rpm screaming like the standard 372 OE top end?

I read somewhere that these 372 XTorq's like to destroy the piston or wrist pin bearing once it's above 14,500 or so... too much weight...

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hmm... I will have to... sounds like a trip to Europe to pick one up and stuff it in the suitcase is in order...

What kind of gains can be expected with a 372 XTorq? I mean for a reliable work saw.

And is it more of a low rpm grunt like the XPW, than high rpm screaming like the standard 372 OE top end?

I read somewhere that these 372 XTorq's like to destroy the piston or wrist pin bearing once it's above 14,500 or so... too much weight...

About the same on the XT too. I like to keep the power at a lower RPM on those though. Piston is too heavy to spin like mad.

rocco490

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I don't think many work saws are holding 14,000 plus rpm or even close in the cut so I never understood trying to turn them up so hard... maybe the smaller cc saws for limbing but I don't care if any of my 70 plus cc saws turn up 14,500 or more I wont be cutting anything at that rpm

Last edited:

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I don't think many work saws are holding 14,000 plus rpm or even close in the cut so I never understood trying to turn them up so hard... maybe the smaller cc saws for limbing but I don't care if any of my 70 plus cc saws turn up 14,500 or more I wont be cutting anything at that rpm

Have you tried the 394 yet?

hseII

AKA - Karenberly's Husband
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
They will never have to be replaced again ....so its a moot point ;)

70d65441b6842ae91c788e7a13239c10.png

rocco490

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I haven't run the 394 yet. its set up for large stuff (36 in bar) and I don't have anything to cut big enough to do it justice. I have been running one of the 395's with a 20 inch bar and 8 pin and its fun really gets with it