Husqvarna 572XP?

XP_Slinger

They’re Just Saws
Local time
7:47 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
when those bearings are NLA Brian, most of those other parts has been NLA for awhile.

well, special bearing has always been pricey, so here is the thing, what do we prefer?
A fatty bottom part because it has cheap industrial standard bearing and seal solution, or an slim bottom part but it could only be made slim because of them proprietary bearings?
If you ask me I take the slim saw anytime...
I hear ya Tor. Just hope that when it comes time to work on them the parts aren't ridiculously priced.

ZERO

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
4:47 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Per Husqvarna

2017 Switzerland, Poland and Austria.
2018 H1 rest of Europe.
2018 H2 North America.

Fast forward the first 10m to get to the technical data.

Looks like the newer generation of AutoTune is much faster, how will this reflect the port world?

If anyone gets their hand on one, please let us know.

RIDE-RED 350r

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Can't wait to see a 572xp perform in real wood against the 372, 576, and the 461/462 from Stihl. It's one thing to watch it cut trees down with no competition nearby. It's quite another running in cants.

I think some 25" or bigger hard (sugar) maple would be the better real world test to compare things with.

Willard

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
6:47 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I forgot all about this email I got back in April from a former training company I used to train with.
What looks like to be a very high top new saw. The smaller saw looks to be a 562XP .
View attachment 69531
Haha remember this when I first started this thread. Turns out Ed Carpenter's crew are the ones with the 572XP in the USA Red Oak video.

Simondo

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
12:47 PM
User ID
Reaction score
A few things that may or may not have been seen ...Oh by the way...we dont get the saw that much sooner than you do in the USA.

Screen Shot 2017-08-22 at 20.52.05.png Screen Shot 2017-08-22 at 20.53.01.png

........Looks like we have a ignition that is not "Pre Set" .... I guess there wont be key cutting timing advance going on.

GCJenks204

"Special Buns"
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
A few things that may or may not have been seen ...Oh by the way...we dont get the saw that much sooner than you do in the USA.

View attachment 84784 View attachment 84785

........Looks like we have a ignition that is not "Pre Set" .... I guess there wont be key cutting timing advance going on.

The spec that is most favourable to Stihl lovers is the recommended bar length. Who really wants a 70cc saw for an 11inch (28CM) bar. Not saying it's a typo bit I sure hope so. My pole saw has a bar longer than 6" (15cm) ...

Simondo

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
12:47 PM
User ID
Reaction score
The spec that is most favourable to Stihl lovers is the recommended bar length. Who really wants a 70cc saw for an 11inch (28CM) bar. Not saying it's a typo bit I sure hope so. My pole saw has a bar longer than 6" (15cm) ...
:D, I never spotted that ! ... I would think 18"- 20" is going to be a common size here.
The cc thing is going to become much less important i think as just like cars the engine size has gone down while power has gone up. It may just come down to a "Power to weight thing" for the future rather than the cc class war.

weedkilla

Super OPE Member
Local time
9:17 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

View attachment 84784 View attachment 84785

I'd be shocked if the coil adjusts timing "live", the knock sensors required would be outside of the budget of a saw I'm pretty certain.
I'm guessing of course, but I think they've just gone to a soft rev limit instead of the previous ignition cut rev limit.
Also, I can't think of any petrol engine where you can't adjust the whole timing map by fooling the engine management about where tdc is located.

Once we saws with direct injection it will get a little more complicated, as then you could potentially trick the engine into injecting fuel when a port is closed, but we are a way off that point yet.

I'd love to be at some tech training events and be asking questions!

malk315

Running Saws for Therapy
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The ignition timing adjust I find really interesting -- autotune only turned the needles to maximize RPMs. So you need to know the RPMs as feedback and apply changes to the needles and check feedback over and over with the computer. No need to know what's going on with the ignition coil. The coil can have a simple upper RPM limit and perhaps a static advance curve.

Now -- in order to adjust the timing at high RPMs as it says it does, the computer must know where TDC is so it can apply some offset to that when it wants to based on RPM range.

Dan was asking me about making something to sense when a coil was firing (using a pickup circuit on the coil wire) and compare that to where a HES sensor can be read to determine where TDC is and plot at various RPMS the built in advance curve of a coil that has a static advance curve. This could also double as a digital degree wheel if a crank position sensor / encoder / gear tooth type sensor is used to get the accuracy.

Now we have a computer that can change the timing based on RPMs or other conditions it can sense as it sees fit it seems. I would agree then that filing a flywheel key to get a timing advance are going to be a thing of the past. If this is correct, then the computer is perhaps using a digital output to fire the spark plug when it wants to.

I was looking at a gadget a guy had made that uses microcontroller to read RPMs via a HES sensor on a small scooter/motorcycle 2 cycle engine and based on 3 different RPM ranges it would fire the plug at different times -- basically electronic controlled ignition -- it was using a digital output for firing the plug and a digital input from the HES essentially the same as the setup I used for the dyno (someday I'll get back at it w/ the dyno!)

Very cool though -- can't wait to someday run one of these.

malk315

Running Saws for Therapy
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The ignition timing adjust I find really interesting -- autotune only turned the needles to maximize RPMs. So you need to know the RPMs as feedback and apply changes to the needles and check feedback over and over with the computer. No need to know what's going on with the ignition coil. The coil can have a simple upper RPM limit and perhaps a static advance curve.

Now -- in order to adjust the timing at high RPMs as it says it does, the computer must know where TDC is so it can apply some offset to that when it wants to based on RPM range.

Dan was asking me about making something to sense when a coil was firing (using a pickup circuit on the coil wire) and compare that to where a HES sensor can be read to determine where TDC is and plot at various RPMS the built in advance curve of a coil that has a static advance curve. This could also double as a digital degree wheel if a crank position sensor / encoder / gear tooth type sensor is used to get the accuracy.

Now we have a computer that can change the timing based on RPMs or other conditions it can sense as it sees fit it seems. I would agree then that filing a flywheel key to get a timing advance are going to be a thing of the past. If this is correct, then the computer is perhaps using a digital output to fire the spark plug when it wants to.

I was looking at a gadget a guy had made that uses microcontroller to read RPMs via a HES sensor on a small scooter/motorcycle 2 cycle engine and based on 3 different RPM ranges it would fire the plug at different times -- basically electronic controlled ignition -- it was using a digital output for firing the plug and a digital input from the HES essentially the same as the setup I used for the dyno (someday I'll get back at it w/ the dyno!)

Very cool though -- can't wait to someday run one of these.
When someone gets ahold of one of these we will have to see if there is a connection or harness from computer to coil perhaps a few wires. If the computer is completely independent of coil/ignition then I'm wrong! Will be curious to hear from Bob or one of the dealers who can dissect one of these babys!

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

RIDE-RED 350r

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I think direct injection is not as far off as some might think. The more advanced tech gets, the faster it advances.

I myself am wondering if the 572 will be the first saw that really is about as good as it can be out of the box this side of a full on race saw.

Time will tell

Dub11

Saw R skeery
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I think direct injection is not as far off as some might think. The more advanced tech gets, the faster it advances.

I myself am wondering if the 572 will be the first saw that really is about as good as it can be out of the box this side of a full on race saw.

Time will tell

You think they'll jump fuel injection? It would make since for emissions. And speaking of which does this saw have a cat in the muff?

RIDE-RED 350r

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
You think they'll jump fuel injection? It would make since for emissions. And speaking of which does this saw have a cat in the muff?
I think they will. Direct injection has been around in outboards and sleds for quite a while now and believe it or not the DI systems on those applications is more compact that conventional FI setups found on some sleds in the 90s. I think that DI components will continue to get more compact as things advance. I know sleds are quite a bit different than saws in terms of application and room to work with, but they have been using knock sensors on modern DI two stroke sled mills for awhile now and they are not large components at all.

I'll bet we see DI saws within 10 years. I could be wrong, but that's my guesstimate

Dub11

Saw R skeery
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I think they will. Direct injection has been around in outboards and sleds for quite a while now and believe it or not the DI systems on those applications is more compact that conventional FI setups found on some sleds in the 90s. I think that DI components will continue to get more compact as things advance. I know sleds are quite a bit different than saws in terms of application and room to work with, but they have been using knock sensors on modern DI two stroke sled mills for awhile now and they are not large components at all.

I'll bet we see DI saws within 10 years. I could be wrong, but that's my guesstimate
I think the hold up now is fuel pump

Frank bierce

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
4:47 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
What do you guys see as downsides of this saw? I have seen a fair amount of positive press...what kind of problems have the testers had?