Buy Used Saws CCC Ebay Store

Husqvarna 550xp pop up

Discussion in 'Chainsaws' started by WoodsliverDan, Dec 4, 2018.

1. WoodsliverDan

WoodsliverDan Mechanical Beaver Builder

I checked squish today, @.025". So a little shy of my .020" goal. That's ok, I'll check timing numbers today since I have to head to work now. Hopefully I'll get it started as well..

Tor R, Poleman, Red97 and 1 other person like this.
  2. WoodsliverDan

Tomorrow *

Poleman and Red97 like this.
  3. Farmchuck

Farmchuck Super OPE Member

Hi guys, not trying to derail this but it sounds like a lot of 550 experience here. I have a 550xp which was ported by Randy & I love it, my only issue is that I’ve never owned a ported saw before & had no idea how LOUD they were. After running it a while I couldn’t handle the noise ( yes I do wear hearing protection) so I purchased a new factory muffler of Bob Spike60. I have had it on the saw for the last year or so, as you probably know it doesn’t run nearly as well as with Randy’s customized muffler.What I’m wondering is there an in between solution? Perhaps a way to modify the factory muffler to let the saw breath a little better but not be quite so loud. Also am I risking cooking my ported saw by running it with a factory muffler? Thanks guys.

Czed likes this.
  4. AlfA01

AlfA01 Powered by Olive Oil and FETA Cheese..

Have you had any issues with it not starting when it's hot? You can open the muffler a little bit to let some heat out without it being over the top loud.

I've never had one of Randy's 550's so I'm not sure how he mods the mufflers. Most of these saws don't cook themselves from heat.

The reason these saws had problems with scored pistons and cylinders were due to several factors.

Air leaks, lean condition, too lean of fuel mix and dull chains are the usual causers of scoring. If you are running by Randy's suggestion - 40:1 Only, you shouldn't have a problem there.

On another note. IIRC Randy drops the cylinder on those, which causes the exhaust not to fit just right. Make sure you elongated the lower bolt holes so you get a good seal at the cylinder.

Dub11, Tor R, drf256 and 3 others like this.
  5. Farmchuck

C261628B-B84E-4E39-BB51-53190ADB7BEA.jpeg CEE0E250-323A-40BF-8427-9B8DB94AC478.jpeg No hot start issues. Factory muffler seems to fit fine with existing bolt holes. Can you explain in a bit more detail about the muffler modification you speak of? I’ve never attempted to modify a muffler before & I’d hate to mess it up.Here are a few pictures of the modified muffler.

AlfA01 likes this.
  6. Farmchuck

Forgot to mention I do run @ 40:1 am soil saber & 90 octane e free fuel.

AlfA01 likes this.
  7. Farmchuck

Not that I am trying to start an oil thread here or anything but if anyone has any better suggestions I’m all ears. Seems a while back I read Randy was going to try some am soil dominator, wondering if that is better than the saber?

8. Farmchuck

If these questions need to get moved somewhere else I understand. Not trying to derail but since we were on the subject of 550s I figured what da heck.:)

9. Farmchuck

9D27B9DB-3FB7-4260-B274-8D3F9153F77D.jpeg 81047101-511C-46EC-89B2-3567A74F2EEA.jpeg Perhaps these are better photos. I do love the way the saw runs with this muffler. Much Much better than with the factory one . Just wondering if there is some middle ground.:)

10. Backtroller

Backtroller Pinnacle OPE Member

I know what you mean about the loudness. It bothers some worse than others. These and the 562 seem to get loud with any muffler mod.

I had a 2252 with a big 1” pipe and it ran great but using it for extended periods bothered me. I ended getting a new one and just opened it up under the factory baffle....but this was on a basically stock saw. Performance was a bit less in this situation.

Now on a mmws I’m betting that performance is going to take a big hit without a free flowing muffler.

Maybe foam plugs under muffs?

Tor R, mdavlee, Red97 and 1 other person like this.
  11. Farmchuck

That’s what I wear for protection when I run it. For me personally one or the other alone isn’t enough.
    Can you explain in more detail what you mean by”just opened it up undythe factory baffle”
    I’ve never attempted to modify a muffler before.:)

Red97 likes this.
  12. Backtroller

I cut the baffle a little on each side with a dremel and bent the baffle open. I then grinded to make the “hole” as large as the area that the baffle had covered. So I basically made it open around the “tube” under the baffle. I then folded the buffle down and welded the cuts that I had made.

13. huskyboy

huskyboy Sorta a Husqvarna guy.

Try two 3/8 holes on either side of the one under the deflector. They get louder when you open the big internal baffle/diffuser whatever it’s called inside.

14. Backtroller

Or that

huskyboy likes this.
  15. Backtroller

That is probably the total area that I opened up. There isn’t much real-estate under the baffle since I didn’t totally cut off the baffle

16. Farmchuck

Is the deflector the thing that sticks up on the muffler with the screen inside?

17. huskyboy

huskyboy Sorta a Husqvarna guy.

Yes, make sure whatever you grind/drill is under the deflector. I just used pliers to lift it up to get room to work and then I tapped it back down with hammer. Make sure u get all the shavings out.

WoodsliverDan likes this.
  18. WoodsliverDan

19. WoodsliverDan

Got the wheel on it tonight, came out with 106-115-78 and stratos at 79. Figured that is an ok start, so I put new ring in piston and put carb back on. Popped after 6 pulls. Haven't put a bar on it yet, and since it was about midnight, it will have to wait til later this week. So far I'm impressed with the snappiness and compression.

Red97 likes this.
  20. Chainsaw Jim

Chainsaw Jim CJ Saws, LLC

Stock numbers?

Red97 likes this.