High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

Husqvarna 55 mod

skidder

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
5:06 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Wow....... I feel a bit inadequate looking at what you guys have done compared to what I thought was going to be “big changes” to my 55. Lol! Really impressive!!! Not gunna lie though, just learning all this, it’s all still kinda Greek at the moment but I’m picking it up. I can’t wait to start puttin this back together!!

skidder

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
So does anyone have any thoughts about the oil pick up?? Am I fretting over nothing? Should I or is there a modification that can be done to give more dependability to the oil pump for more consistent oiling?? Just curious...

Adirondackstihl

Vert Da Furk........Bork Bork Bork
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
View attachment 110464 View attachment 110465 View attachment 110466 View attachment 110467 View attachment 110469 So I got my 2000 Husqvarna closed port 55 back from my brother and decided to tear it down and mod it. I’m cutting my teeth on this to learn on. So far I’ve torn it down, and will be cleaning it up while I wait for my cylinder to be cut and shipped back. I’m going through and replacing the crank bearings, seals, and anything else that should be replaced on an 18 year old saw. As of now this saw has only had a base gasket delete. It is currently at 109, 127.5 and 69 with .033” squish. Going to have .012” removed form the base, not going to mess with the squish band at this point. I hope you all enjoy the build.
Saw was built in 96’ unless I’m mistaken.

PogoInTheWoods

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Bottom number is the serial. The 00's indicate it's a 2000.

So does anyone have any thoughts about the oil pick up??

No worries. It'll pump the tank dry..., sometimes even after ya shut it off! (It'll oil just fine.)

I have a 55 cp that Brad Snelling built. He cut the windows and a .030 popup into a Meteor piston from a 51.

I followed that thread and always wondered what happened to the saw. Glad to see it's holding up. Pretty bold experiment cutting those windows in the piston. Others haven't been as successful from what I've read.

Wow....... I feel a bit inadequate looking at what you guys have done compared to what I thought was going to be “big changes” to my 55.

They'll be big enough. And somethin' tells me you'll feel perfectly adequate when you fire that puppy back up for the first time after it's back together!

Hell, I think a stock 55 is a great little saw..., as some of you may already know..., LOL.

1-0518141212a.jpg

Last edited:

XP_Slinger

They’re Just Saws
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Wow....... I feel a bit inadequate looking at what you guys have done compared to what I thought was going to be “big changes” to my 55. Lol! Really impressive!!! Not gunna lie though, just learning all this, it’s all still kinda Greek at the moment but I’m picking it up. I can’t wait to start puttin this back together!!
Learning is what it’s all about here. Believe me, I feel novice all the time, the knowledge shared on here is down right impressive. We’ll get there;)

skidder

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
@PogoInTheWoods, thanks for the info about the oil pick up. When I split the case it struck me odd and made me think it should be changed. But as I’ve stated before I’m learning. Lol!!

XP_Slinger

They’re Just Saws
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
@PogoInTheWoods, thanks for the info about the oil pick up. When I split the case it struck me odd and made me think it should be changed. But as I’ve stated before I’m learning. Lol!!
That’s my fault for over thinking the pick up. The reality is you never had any oiling problems that I’m aware of. So why fix it if it ain’t broke? KISS...I’ll try not to lead you down a rabbit hole next time:rolleyes:

GoBigBlue1984

Bluegrass Fart Knocker...
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That’s my fault for over thinking the pick up. The reality is you never had any oiling problems that I’m aware of. So why fix it if it ain’t broke? KISS...I’ll try not to lead you down a rabbit hole next time:rolleyes:
The cool thing is you saw something that you thought could be improved upon and the two of you gave it some thought. Most people don’t read that far into things. That tells me one, you are both inquisitive and two, proactive.

XP_Slinger

They’re Just Saws
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The cool thing is you saw something that you thought could be improved upon and the two of you gave it some thought. Most people don’t read that far into things. That tells me one, you are both inquisitive and two, proactive.
Thanks for that perspective, never really thought of it like that. Sometimes the proactive inquisition can be a bit of a pitfall though. Leads to over thinking on occcasion.:roto2rie:

skidder

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Rabbit holes are fun to go down sometimes. That’s what I love about mechanics. I told Joe the other night I have an idea for a squish mandrel that I think will be accurate and easy to use. Just gotta make sure what I have in my head works out in real life once I start turning aluminum to make it.

tickbitintn

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
4:06 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
There are lots of different ways to skin that cat!!!
Lots of threads and posts about mandrels and such....
A lot of times I still fine tune the squish with sandpaper stuck to the top of an old piston... Very low tech...

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

tickbitintn

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
4:06 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
But do keep us "in the loop"...
Always like to see different ways/ideas on how to do things....

skidder

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
There are lots of different ways to skin that cat!!!
Lots of threads and posts about mandrels and such....
A lot of times I still fine tune the squish with sandpaper stuck to the top of an old piston... Very low tech...

The phrase I’m known for in the shop and by my brothers is “give me 10 mins and a piece of flat stock” lol! I love designing and building a concept for tools. Lol!

skidder

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
55 closed port .012 off the base.jpg

So just to give an update, All parts have been ordered and are on their way. A HUGE thank you to @rattler for shaving .012" off the base for me as pictured above. I ended up ordering a new piston kit for this from Lil Red Barn due to the discolored wrist pin and the inability to obtain just a wrist pin..... I have the new antivibe bushings, new fuel line and filter, all gaskets, bearings and seals coming for this. along with a new clutch, drum, sprocket, and bearing. This will also be getting a new 20" bar and chain, (just because.... why not lol!) Once everything arrives I will be sitting down at the bench and working over the ports with, (I'm sure will be LOTS) help and advice from @XP_Slinger and @RIDE-RED 350r.

Attachments

• 55 closed port .012 off the base.jpg
    55 closed port .012 off the base.jpg
    112.5 KB · Views: 21

skidder

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
5AB1CCC6-FC11-4AA3-8CE9-0017DA99CF98.jpeg BA1A8498-A7FF-4FE2-8BEF-519F0FD64DE0.jpeg EBDD9E21-2B72-4FE3-B635-B6A50E120C8B.jpeg 57D8C0E8-9ACB-4E3D-AAD6-0AC8D63758D3.jpeg CC3DAE79-06F1-4B43-8B35-092E2BF27C63.jpeg 5AB1CCC6-FC11-4AA3-8CE9-0017DA99CF98.jpeg Welp, the cleaning is done, and we installed the new crank bearings and seated the cases. But could not get the crank to spin free. The bearings felt like they had “steps” in them. So the cases came back apart, the bearings removed, tried cleaning them out multiple times but still felt rough. New oem bearings are being ordered along with another case gasket. I’ll be working on this more next weekend and giving it another go.

Last edited: