Husqvarna 536LiXP professional battery powered chainsaw

Derf

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
5:33 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
What is the target market segment for this? Seems like it's for older gents or women who want something light weight above all else, who only have very light pruning / limbing to do on a few trees/hedges/bushes once in a while, don't want to mess with maintenance, and a hedge trimmer isn't enough, but a gas powered chainsaw is overkill for the occasional use required. Seems like a niche market, since that kind of consumer seems to head to Home Depot or lowes instead of a Husqvarna dealership.
Are you stocking any wood in back so they can test run it?

paragonbuilder

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
How is the chain speed? I have the 516e, 120v plug in model, and it's torquey but slow. And the cord sucks! I use it on my jobs building cabins when a gas saw is inappropriate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bikemike

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
4:33 AM
User ID
Reaction score
The top handle has great reviews from some arborist. I was looking at the top handle but to buy the saw, extra battery costeoart more than a stihl 150t that I can recharge 30 seconds, plus I can get more power and variable speed with the gas..
Wish the electric saws had a drill trigger cause you don't always need wot or nothing

Onan18

OPE Sponsor
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
What is the target market segment for this? Seems like it's for older gents or women who want something light weight above all else, who only have very light pruning / limbing to do on a few trees/hedges/bushes once in a while, don't want to mess with maintenance, and a hedge trimmer isn't enough, but a gas powered chainsaw is overkill for the occasional use required. Seems like a niche market, since that kind of consumer seems to head to Home Depot or lowes instead of a Husqvarna dealership.
Are you stocking any wood in back so they can test run it?

Guys that do a lot of bucket work love them.

bikemike

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
People are surprised what the better, cordless saws can do.

Philbert
So now that you had the 120v saw for a while are they letting you get em for a discount price to move them? I'm very interested in one for a longboard project.

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So now that you had the 120v saw for a while are they letting you get em for a discount price to move them? .
( Mike is referencing another thread http://opeforum.com/threads/redback-18-120v-lithium-cordless-battery-chainsaw.7730/#post-414354 )
I have no relationship with the company, other than offering to evaluate that product, which is just coming to market.

This saw, the Husqvarna 536LiXP, has been on the market for several years, although, Husqvarna has recently released a lower priced line as well:
http://www.husqvarna.com/us/products/battery/

I have not personally tried the Husqvarna battery saws, but have only heard good things about them in forums like this.

Philbert

CoreyB

Yep I am your neighborhood coffee man
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I think the target market is fairly open as the saws actually cut fairly well. I see them being great for a ground crew guy, landscape co that just needs something always ready to go. I also think it will make a great tractor or trail saw. Carving and or inside / close spaces. I do think it has potential. But as most of you know I have to work it and put it through it's paces before I say how awesome it is or what a POS. LOL

bikemike

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
My thing is a extra batt cost alot. And they have Gooden so much better from the ni cad and nimh packs. But cold still takes its toll on a run time with any battery. I can tune a saw to run in cold but I can't tune a battery to run in the cold without taping heat packs to them. Another added cost. But you dot have to start them just release a saftey and pull the trigger and it runs without any hesitation or bog.

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
But cold still takes its toll on a run time with any battery. I can tune a saw to run in cold but I can't tune a battery to run in the cold without taping heat packs to them.
This is a general issue with all battery powered tools. But you still see every building contractor in Minnesota using them (some don't even carry extension cords in their trucks anymore)!

A key thing for winter or other cold weather use is keeping the batteries warm (e.g. in a heated truck or building, or insulated beverage 'cooler' when not in use).

Battery cost is significant: they can run half the cost of many battery powered tools, so it makes sense to buy within a 'family' of tools that share the same batteries and chargers, and also buy 'bare tools' (no battery or charger) when it makes sense.

Biggest problem I have had in cold weather with battery operated chainsaws is the bar oil - no internal combustion to heat it up! Have to keep the jug warm, and / or thin it out, depending on how low the temperature drops.

Philbert

Last edited:

Simondo

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
9:33 AM
User ID
Reaction score
The cutting starts about halfway through.

Corey...can i detect a trigger that has some amount of variable speed ... or is it just a soft start and straight to max ?

CoreyB

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Corey...can i detect a trigger that has some amount of variable speed ... or is it just a soft start and straight to max ?
It is variable and relatively smooth and responsive. Like a high quality speed controller off a R.C. car or plain.

CoreyB

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I may have just made a mistake. I ran the 536LiXP side by side to my German fat girl 421. Oh and I videoed it.

sawmikaze

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Cool thread corey , ive taken a little bit of intrest in these battery tools.