Jon1212

Birch! Please.....
Local time
4:44 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Jon24 is muh hero.
You tell 'em, Randy....
Just figured out the bookmark thing at the lower left of a post next to the posting time and report function. Seems to be browser agnostic and an option for any post..., with the first post of a thread being the most logical one to bookmark for future reference of a given thread. Nice feature.
@MattG suggested it in the Suggestions Thread. Us moderators pushed the admin to get off their dead asses, and make it happen. It's just how us old hippies roll.

PogoInTheWoods

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
6:44 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I edited my last post to acknowledge the vastness of the hippie coolness..., and to stay on topic by rollin my own with a couple more 55's. Kinda like the good old 'creeper'. They just keep sneakin' up on ya.

MattG

Chainosaurus Rex
Local time
10:44 PM
User ID
Reaction score
with the first post of a thread being the most logical one to bookmark for future reference of a given thread. Nice feature.
Hi Poge,

The reason I like the bookmark concept is that after you've interacted a lot on the forum, you end up with shed loads of watched threads. It can be really tricky when you've got to trawl through a lot of these to find that particular nugget.

My main motivation for the bookmarking idea, was NOT actually to bookmark the first post in a thread. Why? Because sometimes the post you really need is like buried down at #87 for example. Then you have to page down through heaps of banter to find what you want. Now whilst I'm a big fan of banter (especially when I'm a participant!!), it tends to lose it's humour value, when you are searching for something technical on a slow connection. But anyway it all depends on what each person wants from the forum ultimately :)

FWIW what I used to spend ages finding was a post by @Mastermind where Randy had kindly uploaded a shot of some timing numbers for the MS460. But it was in one of those very "vibrant" threads, where there was tons going on, and lots of pages, and plus the post was bang slap in the middle of that thread, if I recall.

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
5:44 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hi Poge,

The reason I like the bookmark concept is that after you've interacted a lot on the forum, you end up with shed loads of watched threads. It can be really tricky when you've got to trawl through a lot of these to find that particular nugget.

My main motivation for the bookmarking idea, was NOT actually to bookmark the first post in a thread. Why? Because sometimes the post you really need is like buried down at #87 for example. Then you have to page down through heaps of banter to find what you want. Now whilst I'm a big fan of banter (especially when I'm a participant!!), it tends to lose it's humour value, when you are searching for something technical on a slow connection. But anyway it all depends on what each person wants from the forum ultimately :)

FWIW what I used to spend ages finding was a post by @Mastermind where Randy had kindly uploaded a shot of some timing numbers for the MS460. But it was in one of those very "vibrant" threads, where there was tons going on, and lots of pages, and plus the post was bang slap in the middle of that thread, if I recall.

You could just send me a message. I keep build notes on all the popular saws I do.

Jon1212

Birch! Please.....
Local time
4:44 PM
User ID
Reaction score
You could just send me a message. I keep build notes on all the popular saws I do.
Wow! Now you tell us?

Poor @exCanuck came home a day early from his third two week vacation of the year to add this bookmark feature. He'll never get that time back....:(

PogoInTheWoods

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Just pulled a pair from an 034 carcass for the purpose. Probably the best fix out of all the ones I've read about.

The reason I like the bookmark concept is....

Good points all the way around..., especially bookmarking individual posts in threads that are eventually overcome by chatter and end up completely off the rails. Also a great way to compile large amounts of input on a given subject from multiple threads for later consolidation into a more efficiently accessible format like PDF. I really like that idea and can see it gaining some traction as more folks get familiar with the bookmarking feature.

And it IS nice to know these tech guys aren't just sitting around the bong ALL day long! Good on you and the admins for gettin' em some fresh air long enough to pull this off. LOL

Nowthen, you'll never guess what I brought home from my Husky dealer this afternoon for 20 bux. Toasted top end, of course. New OEM coil, usable bar/chain (not much tho), and dual dawgs. Don't know what it is but I'm like a magnet for these things. Wish it was as easy finding 288's!

0129181633_resized.jpg

M2theB

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
C3DECF52-3885-4A30-B51D-FB968B93CEE1.jpeg ADAED0F6-F5BD-4102-B151-BC7262C3A664.jpeg FC1C8CB6-203F-481C-9241-98C1C908BF75.jpeg Great thread Joe. Thanks.
I’ve got a bucket of 55s I’ve been messing with this winter.
I was having trouble with one. Did all the diagnostics I could think of with no fix.
Came across a post on another site this morning and all is good now.
Certain aftermarket cylinder placed the impulse hole outboard of the channel in the case. There was very little communication. The saw would start but it went down hill from there the warmer it got.

With a Dremel I walked the impulse hole closer to the ID of the cylinder until I got daylight under the gasket.

Above in backwards sequence show the fix and then the before, with gasket on and gasket off.

PogoInTheWoods

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Just a heads up for any 55 experimenters out there that HLS has Meteor 46mm domed 028S pistons on sale for 10 bux today. Haven't tried it yet myself but have heard good results have been obtained dropping one into a 55 with a little juggling and minimal grinding..., primarily a wee bit off the dome where the plug would otherwise hit and a little off the wrist pin bosses as well. As I understand it, the compression release will come in handy after installing one of these.

Last edited:

JT78

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
One of the best saws I have is a 55 closed port I got off Craigslist for 50.00 several years ago the me guy had run it with so dull of a chain he fried the p&c the cylinder Cleaned up nice with some sand paper but I couldn't find a windowed piston back then for under 110 dollars so I pulled a redneck fix and sanded and polished the existing piston and put a new ring in also did some port work on it. Saw has seen about 20 gallons of gas since then maybe more. Four strokes still at 14k and runs like a banshee. Love that I got a hot fast running saw for 60.00 parts and all.

Last edited:

JohnnyBlade

JUST GONNA SEND IT
GoldMember
Local time
5:44 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My 55 i just got done with. Running an 18" .325 .05 LPX. BGD, MM, TA, changed #'s around a lil bit and did some minor widening. First cuts actually. Pretty happy with its initial performance. Thats a piece of 12" 5 yr old dead ash thats hard as a rock. Good thing is my dog likes eating rocks:D
I am enjoying this thread cuz i have a few more to build.

cus_deluxe

terms of service violator
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My 55 i just got done with. Running an 18" .325 .05 LPX. BGD, MM, TA, changed #'s around a lil bit and did some minor widening. First cuts actually. Pretty happy with its initial performance. Thats a piece of 12" 5 yr old dead ash thats hard as a rock. Good thing is my dog likes eating rocks:D
I am enjoying this thread cuz i have a few more to build.

pipe threader stand as log holder? nice