husqvarna 460 low compression 60psi

Willoughby

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
9:31 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I picked up a used Husqvarna 460 from a saw shop mechanic, he said it had a new oe piston and needed carb work and a worm gear for oil pump
got it home checked compression , best it would do is 60psi , so I took it apart to look at the cylinder , found clutch cover melted on inside , no I know what happened to the plastic worm gear. but the piston and cylinder walls look great , I expected to find them scored . I am a retired auto mechanic 40 + years ,but im new to 2 stroke - I dont see why the low compression , unless the hole is egg shaped , I dont have inside mikes that small , I did measure piston its 48.93 mm every thing I read says it should be 47 or 50 mm , I dont mind buying piston and jug but am I missing something here ? any help appreciated

Marshy

WFO Cutting
Local time
11:31 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Does your co.pression tester have a Schrader valve in the tip of the hose that screws into the cylinder? If not then you are getting a false low reading. What kind of compression tester is it?

Willoughby

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Does your co.pression tester have a Schrader valve in the tip of the hose that screws into the cylinder? If not then you are getting a false low reading. What kind of compression tester is it?
all compression testers should have a Schrader valve unless your using it for cyl leakage test, I've been a mechanic since 1980 , the gauge isn't new but its always served me well , I put a aftermarket piston and cyl on it today and it fired right up , haven't measured compression yet , but judging by the way it pulls its gonna be good

Marshy

WFO Cutting
Local time
11:31 AM
User ID
Reaction score
all compression testers should have a Schrader valve unless your using it for cyl leakage test, I've been a mechanic since 1980 , the gauge isn't new but its always served me well , I put a aftermarket piston and cyl on it today and it fired right up , haven't measured compression yet , but judging by the way it pulls its gonna be good
Not all do. It has been the cause of false readings for others in the past.

old guy

Love me some Husqvarna
Local time
10:31 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Does yours have a valve at the end of the hose that screws into the sparkplug hole? if not you will get a low reading.

Willoughby

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
thanks for all the help everyone ! much appreciated