Husqvarna 394XP throttle cable stretch/ wear

kfd518

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
10:37 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I’m having a problem with my 394 throttle. I was attempting to tune it and adjusting the high side it maxed out at around 11,900 slobbering rich. I realized that when squeezing the throttle it will normally only open to about 85-90% sometimes it opens fully to the throttle stop not often that I get the fluke of it opening all the way.
I believe it is a problem with the cable because if I push either end of the sheath towards the middle of the cable it will open full throttle every time I keep it pushed.
Am I correct in thinking this or is it more likely that the trigger mechanism or the clipped on adapter on the throttle shaft is worn?
When replacing the cable is it common practice to replace all 3 parts or does a cable replacement alone normally fix this issue? I would just like to have all necessary parts on hand to fix it the first time.

I have not noted any way to adjust the tension on the cable sheath like you can on say a bicycle brake cable. Please correct me if I’m wrong on that?

Fully closed09058595-7254-47C0-A2E2-95FBB88AE9C5.jpeg

Trigger pressed all the wayEAFED1D0-72E3-4CB3-8A8E-147F970AA240.jpeg

Pushed all the way open by handA055491A-1DCB-4F02-B918-3CBA5260DA74.jpeg

Last edited:

jacob j.

Lord of Cargo Pants
GoldMember
Local time
8:37 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The only way I'm aware of to take up slack in a worn 394 throttle cable is with very small split washers just under
the bell of the cable where it sits in the plastic fulcrum of the throttle shaft. These cables stretch over time and wear
through the insulation. A new cable would do the trick or do as Kevin says and rotate the carb as much as you can
clockwise.

Creaky limb tree care

Super OPE Member
Local time
4:37 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hi, have you made sure that the cable's outer sheath is sitting correctly in the relevant pockets either end? I have had issues with a 550 before now which wouldn't rev out on full trigger depression. Regards, Toby.

huskyboy

Sorta a husqvarna guy...
Local time
11:37 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
First I check to make sure it’s seated in the trigger or cable holder like Toby mentioned. Sometimes there is a tear that you can’t see, eventually the cable is exposed and tends to hang up. I try to keep spare cables for the 394/5 and 372 for this reason. They wear out.

Last edited:

kfd518

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It appears to be seated both ends and not torn either.
I have a new one on the way but if this some will last a bit longer then I will do what I can to wring it’s last breaths out of it. Will get some
Pictures in a bit

srcarr52

Shop rat, backyard slice cutter.
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Sometimes the finger on the trigger rocker or the area where it contacts the tank wear and cause less throttle cable travel. If those are too far worn you can't shim the cable enough without it holding open the butterfly at idle.

Usually just replacing the trigger/rocker will fix it.

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Sometimes the finger on the trigger rocker or the area where it contacts the tank wear and cause less throttle cable travel. If those are too far worn you can't shim the cable enough without it holding open the butterfly at idle.

Usually just replacing the trigger/rocker will fix it.

I'd just replace it with a real saw.

Hooray 395XP !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh......wait. :treadmill:

angelo c

Coal Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I'd just replace it with a real saw.

Hooray 395XP !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh......wait. :treadmill:

I just don't see where the SCREWS go in to that part to fall out of the Husky....

Mine does the same thing and its just sitting in the corner leaking bar oil at me as I walk by it everyday...I don't rent pigs and I don't work on THEM either.... :) plus its dirty and I refuse to work on dirty pig saws... :(