Husqvarna 372 Repair Thread

PogoInTheWoods

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
4:24 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
'Preciate the input. It seemed like it should be okay based on looking at the bearing in the case and guestimating.

Another quick question about the crank 'O' ring in the worm gear sleeve...

Is it supposed to just arbitrarily sit inside the sleeve? I tried it at the bottom of the sleeve and it leaked. Reinstalled it so it would be somewhat further up the sleeve and it held vac and pressure all day.

Onan18

OPE Sponsor
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
'Preciate the input. It seemed like it should be okay based on looking at the bearing in the case and guestimating.

Another quick question about the crank 'O' ring in the worm gear sleeve...

Is it supposed to just arbitrarily sit inside the sleeve? I tried it at the bottom of the sleeve and it leaked. Reinstalled it so it would be somewhat further up the sleeve and it held vac and pressure all day.

It doesn't go inside the sleeve, it slides down the crank and sits against the inner bearing race and the sleeve sits on top of it.

It will leak like a sieve until you spin the clutch on.

Mkinslow

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
3:24 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
There also a thin washer before the sleeve isn’t there??

PogoInTheWoods

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It's all coming into focus for me now, Joe. Thanks for the enlightenment. I do have the second 372 sitting here not torn down yet. Will probably pull that side apart tomorrow just out of curiosity before re-doing the seal on the one I'm currently building. Wonder if I can sneak the 'O' ring in there without pulling the seal? Hmmm.

There also a thin washer before the sleeve isn’t there??
I feel pretty safe in saying that washer actually goes onto the sleeve and is what the pump gear rides on.

Onan18

OPE Sponsor
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It's all coming into focus for me now, Joe. Thanks for the enlightenment. I do have the second 372 sitting here not torn down yet. Will probably pull that side apart tomorrow just out of curiosity before re-doing the seal on the one I'm currently building. Wonder if I can sneak the 'O' ring in there without pulling the seal? Hmmm.

I feel pretty safe in saying that washer actually goes onto the sleeve and is what the pump gear rides on.

Yes you can sneak the o ring in, it is just easier before the seal is installed.

Mkinslow

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You’re probably right. I just remembered it being in there somewhere

PogoInTheWoods

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I ran across a cleaner and newer IPL that illustrates the 'O' ring and oil pump/clutch assembly order in real nice detail. Not sure why they'd include the clutch in the crank illustration tho..., unless maybe it's included under the compl 503 74 87-02 assembly part number? Regardless, the second panel should clear up any confusion about assembly order as long as you know the oil pump goes on before the clutch!

Untitled.jpg

Untitled2.jpg

Mkinslow

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That is a good illustration bud. Thanks for posting it

Onan18

OPE Sponsor
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I ran across a cleaner and newer IPL that illustrates the 'O' ring and oil pump/clutch assembly order in real nice detail. Not sure why they'd include the clutch in the crank illustration tho..., unless maybe it's included under the compl 503 74 87-02 assembly part number? Regardless, the second panel should clear up any confusion about assembly order as long as you know the oil pump goes on before the clutch!

Yes, a clutch assembly comes with the complete crankshaft kit.

sidis8

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Little off topic but how far is the oil seal supposed to be driven in on the flywheel side ? I picked up the husqvarna seal installation tool and put the seal in. But it seems like the tool can drive the seal in deeper, way past the shoulder. Up to this point I always used a socket to tap the seal in.

Anybody got any ideas ?

Thanks in advance

decableguy2000

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Little off topic but how far is the oil seal supposed to be driven in on the flywheel side ? I picked up the husqvarna seal installation tool and put the seal in. But it seems like the tool can drive the seal in deeper, way past the shoulder. Up to this point I always used a socket to tap the seal in.

The seal driver will bottom out on the lip.

PogoInTheWoods

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Does it drive the seal in further than the pics on the previous page? Just curious.

Also wondering what typical stock squish is with a base gasket delete. Mine's not even touching .032 solder.

Last edited:

sidis8

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Does it drive the seal in further than the pics on the previous page? Just curious.

Also wondering what typical stock squish is with a base gasket delete. Mine's not even touching .032 solder.

Yes it does, I'll post a few pics once I get back.

Anybody know how far they're supposed to be driven in ? From looking at the pics on the first page, the seal driver goes past where the pics show.