Adamski

Plebus Splederns
Local time
12:18 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Lean those screws out some, 3/4 to 7/8 turn out from bottom will be closer
Yes, too rich can make the same bog off idle as too lean. This bout drove me crazy a couple years ago. Also 11k rpm wot is way too low. Lean the H some and get it up close to 14k

Still no luck, set them both at 3/4, 7/8th's, 1 and 1.

Still no luck. Managed to get it to run but there is a big old bog before it picks up and no matter how lean or rich I make it on the Low AND High jets it is still there...

Got another carb off a 346ne that I might try, will just need to block the primer bulb barb.

Simondo

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Right guys humour my stupidity.. I managed between snow storms to get the 351G out. But.. it is low on revs.. WOT is probs around 11000.. then it will be slow off the throttle.. then it will just die if throttled on either PTO or flywheel side down. So I checked spark, checked it’s getting fuel. Reset the metering lever which was quite low and stripped and Cleaned the carb.

So it idles nicely. Seals are new and not leaking. Impulse is clear and not split. Screws are both set to 1 1/2 as a base line. And now it is dark and rainy outside.

Anything else I should check. Could a blocked tank vent show these issues?
What carb have you got on the saw ?

Simondo

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Hmm I’ll check? Are you on about the impulse hole?
No not the impulse....but its not a bad idea to be sure of the connection and condition of the short curved pice of tube. I have had odd issues with some HDA carbs with accelerator pumps ....just not sure if the 154 (pos A or B) has one. Just a check point for elimination.

Adamski

Plebus Splederns
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
No not the impulse....but its not a bad idea to be sure of the connection and condition of the short curved pice of tube. I have had odd issues with some HDA carbs with accelerator pumps ....just not sure if the 154 (pos A or B) has one. Just a check point for elimination.

Oo I was not aware that this series of saws had an accelerator pump. I’ll check. Only knew of the 200t’s. Thanks

Last edited:

XP_Slinger

They’re Just Saws
Local time
8:18 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I think these gents have hit a bullseye with the diagnosis. My brother had a 346 that he rebuilt for some one and was having the exact same issues. Had to replace the carb because he couldn’t buy the parts to fix the accel pump. Am I remembering this correct @RIDE-RED 350r ?

Tor R

GoldMember
Local time
1:18 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
seems the 154 does have an accel pump by the looks of it..

View attachment 101168
forget them Walbro drawings, they are in general wrong for all those carbs who did not have the acc pump.
There is a brass plug as Simon said, easy to spot on the trottle side when you has the carb in your hand.

Far as I know, it was the 159 carb who had the acc pump

Simondo

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
forget them Walbro drawings, they are in general wrong for all those carbs who did not have the acc pump.
There is a brass plug as Simon said, easy to spot on the trottle side when you has the carb in your hand.

Far as I know, it was the 159 carb who had the acc pump
I have a HDA 182a from a OE 346xp that has one in it Tor...one to add to the list of posable known offenders .

Tor R

GoldMember
Local time
1:18 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have a HDA 182a from a OE 346xp that has one in it Tor...one to add to the list of posable known offenders .
159, 182 should have the acc pump (100% sure on them 182's), not sure if the 196 and 197 had the acc pump, the last two was rare, only seen them on service bulletins.
154 and 195 did not have the acc pump, at least none of mine have had them.

Personally I prefer them carbs with acc pump, as long as they work.

RIDE-RED 350r

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
8:18 PM
User ID
Reaction score
I think these gents have hit a bullseye with the diagnosis. My brother had a 346 that he rebuilt for some one and was having the exact same issues. Had to replace the carb because he couldn’t buy the parts to fix the accel pump. Am I remembering this correct @RIDE-RED 350r ?

That's correct... It was the OE 346 I overhauled at work. It ran but just wouldn't tune in right. Swapped in the current Zama replacement and it runs 100% to this day. Tor, Simondo and I had some extensive discussion about those carbs and the accel pump issue... Might be that thread I did on the 346 overhaul.