High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

Husqvarna 288XP Low RPM

SuperD4K

OPE Member
Local time
12:03 PM
User ID
Reaction score
I have an early 288XP that will only tune out to about 10,500RPM max on the Tachometer but I've been told that it should be closer to 13,000 at WOT.

Saw has new 228C carb which I thought didn't have the governor like the original 228A. Cylinder and piston looks good through the exhaust port and it has new oil seals on the flywheel and clutch side along with new oil pump O ring. No decomp valve. New gaskets and filter on the intake side, new fuel filter and fuel lines, new spark arrestor screen. New Spark plug, Throttle lever does not appear to be warped and seems to allow full travel on the carb.

The original problem was that it seemed to experience a loss in power compared to my 064. Both saws have 32" bars and chain. They both always seemed to cut pretty much the same except the 064 was a little lighter lol. It seems to have good compression since its hard to pull over when its cold but it still usually pops on the 3rd or 4th pull and idles great. I always drain the gas out of it and use fresh since I don't use the saw very often so maybe its all in my head but it just seems off. If something is wrong I didn't want to continue running it and cause more damage.

Since I don't have a need for the saw it has just become a project. Next thing is going to be getting the tools to do a Compression and Vac test which I know should pretty much always be the first step but since the saw is 30 years old I figured it wouldn't to change the seals anyway lol!

So is it just in my head or is there any ideas at what I should be looking at? Or not enough information until I do the Comp/Vac test?

SuperD4K

OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I haven't adjusted the carb since Saturday which was when I was trying to tune it with the tachometer. Yeah you never seam to save much money doing stuff yourself, but it sure is fun lol!

cgraham1

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
What happens if you put the original carb back on the saw?

SuperD4K

OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
The saw has had three carbs on it since it was new in 1988. My dad bought it new less than 6 months before he retired from logging. Saw sat for about 15 years before I got it. Saw wouldn't run then so I replaced the original 228A with a 228C instead of rebuilding it but kept the old carb. Saw fired right up and ran great. Ran the saw for several years without issue before the current issue popped up. Decided to just put another new carb on and would get a rebuild kit for both the first 228C and the 228A that I still have. So to answer the question I still have the first 228C carb I took off and I have not yet put a kit in it or tried putting it back on the saw.

srcarr52

Shop rat, backyard slice cutter.
GoldMember
Local time
3:03 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I would guess the diaphragm and gasket are swapped in order of installation or the metering lever is set too high.

SuperD4K

OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Could that be case with a new out of the box carb?

SuperD4K

OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
The google searches I have ran say that the 228A carb is governed and that the later 228B and 228C carbs were not but I could be wrong. I will take a closer look at the saw again tonight.

srcarr52

Shop rat, backyard slice cutter.
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I looked it up, the 228C does not have a governor and it has a nozzle like newer carbs.

huskihl

Muh fingers look really big
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Does the 288 have a block style intake? Maybe the gasket got installed backwards or flipped and the impulse hole is partially plugged

cus_deluxe

terms of service violator
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Id be interested to hear where your h screw is set. Is it running lean amd bogging down or running rich? Otherwise id tend to agree w shaun, that the metering lever isnt set quite right.

XP_Slinger

They’re Just Saws
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
OP...did you figure this out? If adjusting the metering lever doesn’t fix it I would check the flywheel for a sheared key.