Husqvarna 285cd

Deets066

AKA Deetsey
Local time
4:51 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have a 2100 and haven't had any issues with it yet, but probly only have 10 or so tanks through it

flying pig

Super OPE Member
Local time
2:51 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Many thanks to A100Hva and flying pig! Both very helpful! Will tear into the carb in a couple hours after the kiddies go to bed. I have a bad governor too!! They keep voting him in though!!! Doesnt really narrow down my state of residence much does it? lol.

Anyway, that could also be the issue flying pig. It literally goes from dry, connect fuel line....half dozen pulls later flooded big time! To the point it doesnt even try to start....Hold the saw bar end up in the air dump out half ounce of fuel out the carb.

Hey FP! I see you have several of these saws....1100,2100.2101 ect. Have you found any particular issues with this series?

Well, I've been running the guts out of two of mine hard over the last year. The only real downsides to these saws are that they are heavier than modern iron and vibrate more. They aren't as fast but have way more balls. I don't have nearly the experience my dad and uncle had, both were pro fallers, dad's career ended with 2100s and Ross' started with 2101s.

As for issues, the intake blocks crack and can cause erratic starting problems. I'd recommend finding a good one and keeping it on hand. Also the plastic throttle linkages are getting brittle with age. I've broken two on one of mine in probably about 20hrs of run time. Other than that they are really tough, reliable saws. Wether it's huge for the job or not, I never go to the bush without a 2100 either for my primary or back up saw anymore.

Deets066

AKA Deetsey
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Well, I've been running the guts out of two of mine hard over the last year. The only real downsides to these saws are that they are heavier than modern iron and vibrate more. They aren't as fast but have way more balls. I don't have nearly the experience my dad and uncle had, both were pro fallers, dad's career ended with 2100s and Ross' started with 2101s.

As for issues, the intake blocks crack and can cause erratic starting problems. I'd recommend finding a good one and keeping it on hand. Also the plastic throttle linkages are getting brittle with age. I've broken two on one of mine in probably about 20hrs of run time. Other than that they are really tough, reliable saws. Wether it's huge for the job or not, I never go to the bush without a 2100 either for my primary or back up saw anymore.
Good info

flying pig

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I'm going to machine up a solution for the breaking throttle linkages, wether that will be to machine a new teflon one or maybe a billet aluminum one, maybe even steel if need be.

thedude74

Bonafide & Stuff !!!
Local time
1:51 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thanks again Flying Pig. Will keep an eye out for a spare intake. I can see how the throttle linkage could fail as well.

Didnt get a chance to go through the carb last night....Perhaps tonight.

thedude74

Bonafide & Stuff !!!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have a 2100 and haven't had any issues with it yet, but probly only have 10 or so tanks through it

I have a feeling after this 285 is finished....might have to find one of the 100 cc twins to go with it....if a little is good more is better. Anything to feed the C.A.D.! lol!

flying pig

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
There are 5 models of 100cc husky in the series plus the 285, and trust me they multiply! I'm only missing a 285 now. They are a super fun saw.

As short a time as 7 or 8 years ago I could still get most everything I needed for one from my local dealers. Things change in a hurry. I think a year after that I tried to replace the damaged half wrap that was on my dad's saw and couldn't get one. Then I lost interest up until about a year ago and now it's tough to get anything new for them and pretty well nothing but a spark plug and driver is available at the dealership. It's really too bad OEM pistons and cylinders aren't available, the 2100s would just keep soldiering on for decades if they were I bet.

Last edited:

thedude74

Bonafide & Stuff !!!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Funny you mentioned that FP, was just thinking earlier if there were a good quality aftermarket cylinder I bet theyd sell a ton of them. Doesnt appear to be any shortage of good used cranks, cases, tanks ect.... Some new plastic carb covers and chainbrakes would be nice too. Read on another site(AS maybe?) Someone modded a 3120xp cylinder to top a 2100.... with the 60mm bore comes out to 113cc iirc. Id like to pick up a cooked 3120 p&c just to take some measurments ect. Could be interesting......

Marshy

WFO Cutting
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Thanks.
Wish I had something larger to showcase them. You get the idea though, under 24" bar you probably won't see a difference in cutting speed.
The 285 has the base gasket removed btw.

thedude74

Bonafide & Stuff !!!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Cool vids Marshy! Like the ACDC! Very close between the two. About 7-8 seconds per cut, 298 a little quicker. Either way both saws sound awesome and cut like crazy. Not running a base gasket on my 285 either. Squish was still about .038" iirc. Thanks for sharing. Good motivation to finish this thing!

Last edited:

thedude74

Bonafide & Stuff !!!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
3120 cyl on a 2100 bottom end? Man I'd love to take on that project!

Nice saws Marshy!
If i recall the guy had to do some cutting on the cylinder fins for clearance, and add a spacer between the case and cyl. base. Not sure what he did for a carb and muff. Would be a fun project....Should make some wicked power.

thedude74

Bonafide & Stuff !!!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
285 rebuild update. Took the carb out last night. Disassembled completely, cleaned with carb cleaner, blew out with comp. air.
Pump arm setting was way off!!lol! Set pump arm as per illustration(thanks A100HVA) Again, set h and l one turn out, idle screw one turn in from initial contact. Saw started after a prime....ran few seconds...died...turned in idle screw a bit, another half turn out on low...starts...runs a little better dies...turn both h and l out another hlf turn saw starts, runs....idling way to high! like 7-,8000 rpm!!! Pulled choke nearly closed....idle comes down....saw dies...had to prime again to restart....backed out idle screw....until no contact on carb....still idles way to high....
Its definately not flooding anymore.
Actually the opossite.
Think I have a vaccum/air leak somewhere. Plastic carb intake looks to be good shape with no visable cracks. Previously, hit all mating surfaces on carb, intake, cylinder intake port with a fine file to make sure all surfaces were flat and true.

Going to build a couple blank plates for the intake and exhaust ports out of 1/8" steel, will add an adapter on one side to perform pressure and vac. test.
Im thinking it may be the flywheel side crank seal, though it is new and replaced I initially installed it backwards(wrong side of case) took it out and reinstalled it on the correct side. Didnt look to bad, but was a little deformed.....

Other than seals, crank case gasket halves, cyl to crank case and plastic intake.....nothing else comes to mind. Am i missing anything? Anything else besides an air leak would cause this? Thanks again for all the help guys it is appreciated.

Last edited:

flying pig

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Sounds backwards but i had one do exactly what you are describing. Pto crank seal was shot, still messes around on me, then I blocked the governor and away it went, runs the strongest of all of my 2100s now.

thedude74

Bonafide & Stuff !!!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Sounds backwards but i had one do exactly what you are describing. Pto crank seal was shot, still messes around on me, then I blocked the governor and away it went, runs the strongest of all of my 2100s now.
Maybe I should do that too? What exactly does the governor do? Looks like it feeds extra fuel? Did you have to make any fuel adjustments after blocking it? Thanks FP.

Attachments

• 20170602_002920.jpg
    20170602_002920.jpg
    123.7 KB · Views: 11

thedude74

Bonafide & Stuff !!!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Made a couple blank off plates last night out of 20 gauge( instead of 1/8") scrap had lying around. Used a ac charging port stub. On the intake just sanwiched the plate between the plastic intake and carb....thinking i can check that as too as it sounds like they may be problematic. Watched a youtube video on vac testing last night....guy used a piece of an old bicycle innertube to seal it...think i will do that as well to get a good leak free seal. Anyway, should get a chance later to hook up the vac pump and nitrogen tank to do a pressure/vac test.

thedude74

Bonafide & Stuff !!!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
^^^^^^
pic of the adaptor(sealed with jb weld lol) and mild port and polish...didnt take much mateial off, went a little wider, didnt remove any from floor or roof of port.