Onan18

OPE Sponsor
GoldMember
Local time
3:21 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That oil pump housing has seen better days. I may have one if you want to change it out.

Thanks for the offer, this is a customers saw, when he comes to pick it up I will advise him that it should be replaced. It is his decision from that point.

Stump Shot

Disciple of Monkey's
GoldMember
Local time
2:21 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It's rare that I see one that still has the bellows.

Well, after going through some of the IPL's I see why now. the bellows was added in 1987. None before that, and the earliest versions had just a slot instead of a round hole. Probably like on the early SE I worked on that came with a metal fuel tank it was like that. I think my saw was a 1986 if i remember right, does have the round hole, but no way for air to enter from the flywheel that I can tell. So now I wonder if the top covers are different as well???

Onan18

OPE Sponsor
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Well, after going through some of the IPL's I see why now. the bellows was added in 1987. None before that, and the earliest versions had just a slot instead of a round hole. Probably like on the early SE I worked on that came with a metal fuel tank it was like that. I think my saw was a 1986 if i remember right, does have the round hole, but no way for air to enter from the flywheel that I can tell. So now I wonder if the top covers are different as well???

I can't answer that, sounds like a @Spike60 question to me.

jakethesnake

I Am The Snake
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Where would I buy o rings an seals once I determine which model I have. Fairly confident the saw I speak of has an air leak. Gonna lean heavily on likely bad seals or o rings.

jakethesnake

I Am The Snake
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'd have to use one of these online dealers I'd suppose. No real dealer round here. None that deals with saws anyhow

Spike60

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I can't answer that, sounds like a @Spike60 question to me.

This is a great build thread Joe! Could use a few more pics though. :applaudit:

The bellows was there to act as a seal for the air box to limit the amount of sawdust getting drawn in. 288 uses a different one, but the idea is the same. That big hole is necessary for the throttle trigger movement. They are still available and cost something like $4.

If you do a lot of these saws, it's a good idea to get the fitting sleeve for sliding the oil pump/seal over the crankshaft. The sharp shoulder on the crank can easily roll the seal lip and drop the spring out. Husky still has these available and they only cost $2. Part number is 502505301. (there is also one for the 288's; 502505201)

That chewed up dust cover is also still available, 50181701

Going to do a little cutting around the house today, so maybe I'll drag out a 266SE after reading this thread. :)

Frank bierce

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
12:21 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

The bellows was there to act as a seal for the air box to limit the amount of sawdust getting drawn in. 288 uses a different one, but the idea is the same. That big hole is necessary for the throttle trigger movement. They are still available and cost something like $4.

If you do a lot of these saws, it's a good idea to get the fitting sleeve for sliding the oil pump/seal over the crankshaft. The sharp shoulder on the crank can easily roll the seal lip and drop the spring out. Husky still has these available and they only cost $2. Part number is 502505301. (there is also one for the 288's; 502505201)

Going to do a little cutting around the house today, so maybe I'll drag out a 266SE after reading this thread. :)

I have used a rolled up piece of soda/beer can to make it over that lip. Works in a pinch. Proper tool would be much nicer though!! Lol

Stump Shot

Disciple of Monkey's
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Here's a picture of the inside of the top cover of my 266xp. Looks to me like that there is a spot for fresh air from the fan, but was not used. Can you take a picture of the cover you have @Onan18 ?

IMG_20171111_100636254.jpg

As long as it is in the shop, I might as well let it warm up and run it too later.

Onan18

OPE Sponsor
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Here's a picture of the inside of the top cover of my 266xp. Looks to me like that there is a spot for fresh air from the fan, but was not used. Can you take a picture of the cover you have @Onan18 ?

View attachment 96244

As long as it is in the shop, I might as well let it warm up and run it too later.

I will when I get back to work on Monday Steve, smoking ribs now. I have a little bit of cutting to do today, probably drag out the 272 and 288. :)

Onan18

OPE Sponsor
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Thanks Bob, your wisdom is always a welcome addition. I will order a replacement dust cover, did not have one in stock. Also thank you for the part numbers for those tools, didn't even know they existed. I will be tacking them onto my next order.

Would love to see some pictures of your 266SE, show everyone what they are supposed to look like. :aplastao:

Stump Shot

Disciple of Monkey's
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thanks Bob, your wisdom is always a welcome addition. I will order a replacement dust cover, did not have one in stock. Also thank you for the part numbers for those tools, didn't even know they existed. I will be tacking them onto my next order.

Would love to see some pictures of your 266SE, show everyone what they are supposed to look like. :aplastao:

You will like the seal tools. Makes life so much easier and no failures. Stihl makes them as well here's a pic of a Husqvarna next to a Stihl.
IMG_20161104_083051_055.jpg
Also the one for the 288 works on the 2100.

Spike60

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Joe; I'm curious about that top cover needing the hole for spark plug clearance. I suspect that it might not be original to the saw. You can never really be sure with a saw that is 30 years old, right?

Reason I'm bringing this up is that there are essentially 2 molds that were used for the top covers on the twin coil saws. The early one was for covers on the 162SE and white top 61's. And the later covers were on the 266's and gray top 61's. The early covers will not clear a 272 spark plug, but the later covers will fit without having to cut a hole in them. I have a 266SE with the white felling mark like yours and it does fit over a 272 top end. (266XP's had blue felling marks)

My earliest 266 IPL is from 1981, which I think is the first year and it has the same part number as in 1984. I suppose some early 266's might have received the 162 cover, but I'm not sure a 162 cover will even fit over the 266 air filter let alone the 272 spark plug. (never tried it, but I think I'll be running downstairs to find out!) And of course all covers for the twin coil saws are NLA.

I'll try and get some pics up early in the week.

Stump Shot

Disciple of Monkey's
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Joe; I'm curious about that top cover needing the hole for spark plug clearance. I suspect that it might not be original to the saw. You can never really be sure with a saw that is 30 years old, right?

Reason I'm bringing this up is that there are essentially 2 molds that were used for the top covers on the twin coil saws. The early one was for covers on the 162SE and white top 61's. And the later covers were on the 266's and gray top 61's. The early covers will not clear a 272 spark plug, but the later covers will fit without having to cut a hole in them. I have a 266SE with the white felling mark like yours and it does fit over a 272 top end. (266XP's had blue felling marks)

My earliest 266 IPL is from 1981, which I think is the first year and it has the same part number as in 1984. I suppose some early 266's might have received the 162 cover, but I'm not sure a 162 cover will even fit over the 266 air filter let alone the 272 spark plug. (never tried it, but I think I'll be running downstairs to find out!) And of course all covers for the twin coil saws are NLA.

Hey there Bob.
My xp has white felling marks. :confused:
It would seem these saws went through a lot of changes, and guys now a days think the few changes on the 562xp is terrible. Lol
Where does the 61 cover fit into the mix? Could it be used in a pinch on a 66/266?

Motorhead

Cantre Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Great thread,Wouldn’t the 272 top end need a larger carburetor?That 163 seems a bit small for a 52 mm bore.

Onan18

OPE Sponsor
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Not sure on that one Bob, could be a 162 cover. I tried every way without cutting the cover, even tried with no boot on at all. Still didn't even come close to fitting.