Husqvarna 262xp PITA to start after hot

BonScott46

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
1:28 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Was out today cutting with my 262. Started fine cold and ran great but when I shut it down it does not want to start again until it cools. I just changed to a thicker base gasket (squish .030), the saw was hard to start when cold with the thinner gasket (squish .018), it would never pop on choke and flooded easily (anymore than 3 pulls with the choke on). When I switched to the thicker gasket it popped on choke and started easily cold. Today was the first time I got it nice and hot and discovered it did not want to start as it used to when warm/hot. I have tried on high idle and no high idle. Once going it runs great; holds the tune, 4-strokes, idles smooth, does not die, good power. Anybody have the same problem or any ideas? I know Huskies can be a PITA to start hot but it used to do fine and I don't know how bumping the squish from .018 to .030 would switch it from a hard cold start to a hard warm/hot start.

Redfin

Meh...
Local time
8:28 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Have you tried it without the air filter? Its easy for that material to become clogged with fines.

BonScott46

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Have you tried it without the air filter? Its easy for that material to become clogged with fines.
Will try that. It looks clean but I have never washed it. It has a winter filter on it.

jacob j.

Lord of Cargo Pants
GoldMember
Local time
5:28 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
What's the gap on your ignition? Are you getting bright blue spark when the saw is both hot and cold? You might also check the intake block for cracks.

BonScott46

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I set the gap to factory when I reinstalled the coil but will double check it. Have not checked the spark when hot. Runs like a champ when it gets going, nothing to indicate an air leak. I could lean it out a bit more by the sound of it. It is tached at factory spec. 13,500.

jacob j.

Lord of Cargo Pants
GoldMember
Local time
5:28 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ok- it sounds more like an ignition issue to me. On the smaller saws I set the gap just a hair tighter than factory.

BonScott46

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ok- it sounds more like an ignition issue to me. On the smaller saws I set the gap just a hair tighter than factory.
Will give that a go. It is going to be a week or so before I cut with it so we will see then.