Husqvarna 181/281/288 Repair Thread.

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
5:27 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My experience on this series as well as any Husqvarna is rather limited .The only work I've ever done was repairing the throttle assembley on the 281 I own and lifting the cylinder on a 181 that showed signs of failing .Weather it ever did or not remains a mystery because it was stolen from my buddys bucket truck .I just did the Scotch bright treatment and called it a day .
How they run,good as far as I'm concerned .
Three makes and models .Husqvarna 281,Stihl 038 Mag (stock )and McCulloch 850,they all cut about the same .A souped 038 Mag ,out runs them all .--at least mine does .:)

Adamski

Plebus Splederns
Local time
10:27 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My experience on this series as well as any Husqvarna is rather limited .The only work I've ever done was repairing the throttle assembley on the 281 I own and lifting the cylinder on a 181 that showed signs of failing .Weather it ever did or not remains a mystery because it was stolen from my buddys bucket truck .I just did the Scotch bright treatment and called it a day .
How they run,good as far as I'm concerned .
Three makes and models .Husqvarna 281,Stihl 038 Mag (stock )and McCulloch 850,they all cut about the same .A souped 038 Mag ,out runs them all .--at least mine does .:)

Modded 038 mags are unbelievable. I have one that is base deleted, modded muffler, widened exhaust and intake ports. Stock transfers. It is rumbly and spanks anything I have come across apart from an 066. I think they are a highly underrated.

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Not to skew off from Husqvarna but my 038 mag has a lot more done than that and it will run heads up with a stock 660 .I've never had the occasion to do any enhancement to any model of Husqvarna but I hope to some day .Too many loose ends now to even give it a thought .

XP_Slinger

They’re Just Saws
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Not to skew off from Husqvarna but my 038 mag has a lot more done than that and it will run heads up with a stock 660 .I've never had the occasion to do any enhancement to any model of Husqvarna but I hope to some day .Too many loose ends now to even give it a thought .
I'd love to run my ported 75cc 372XP against an 038 Mag. Just out of curiosity due to the Mag's reputation as an a** kicker.

afleetcommand

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Going to attract lightning...but the 038 mag isn't going to make the same power a well thought out 372 with a tweaked xpw top end. Not happening..and certainly not the same power to weight ratio. BUT having said that they are cool saws and pretty capable for the time. Just a most humble opinion.