Husq 298xp

redtractor

Super OPE Member
Local time
9:57 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
A very good friend has been talked into cleaning up around his shop. He's a bit of a hoarder, so stuff has been piling up for some time. He handed me a dust covered 298xp "to see if you can get it running" for his use, not for me. The piston and cyl are great. It's missing a muffler and the front half of the top cover. The brake handle is out of whack but I haven't checked into it yet.

I know this was a short production saw. What other model # could I use to look up parts?

The kicker of the story. Good news, he has owed me $100 for a while and I want this saw. Bad news, he'll never use it but the hoarder in him will want to keep it.

Last edited:

mdavlee

Hillbilly grinder
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
298 was in between the 2100 and 2101. Only 2 years there in 1986-1988 if I remember right. Plastic starter housing didn't like the high compression saws.

redtractor

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
298 was in between the 2100 and 2101. Only 2 years there in 1986-1988 if I remember right. Plastic starter housing didn't like the high compression saws.
While looking around for info, someone had said the same thing and they talked about using a starter assembly from a 2100. Is that a bolt on swap?

Last edited:

redtractor

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Is there a boss for that? I haven't looked. And what tap size is needed?

redtractor

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
A very good friend has been talked into cleaning up around his shop. He's a bit of a hoarder, so stuff has been piling up for some time. He handed me a dust covered 298xp "to see if you can get it running" for his use, not for me. The piston and cyl are great. It's missing a muffler and the front half of the top cover. The brake handle is out of whack but I haven't checked into it yet.

I know this was a short production saw. What other model # could I use to look up parts?

The kicker of the story. Good news, he has owed me $100 for a while and I want this saw. Bad news, he'll never use it but the hoarder in him will want to keep it.

UPDATE. My friend understands the lack of OEM parts for this saw and gave it to me "to use as a wall-hanger"

Wall-hanger, my hairy butt. First thing I'm looking for is the front half of the cylinder cover. I've seen most everything it needs available with a little poking around but the cover is a tough one.

Termitebuffet

Home of the corn can muffler .....
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
UPDATE. My friend understands the lack of OEM parts for this saw and gave it to me "to use as a wall-hanger"

Wall-hanger, my hairy butt. First thing I'm looking for is the front half of the cylinder cover. I've seen most everything it needs available with a little poking around but the cover is a tough one.
I need to find seals ...you noticed them ?