Huskyboy meets the ms462c

Evansaw

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
5:18 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ok guys, I have the opportunity to test a 462 for the next couple weeks and no I wasn’t paid by stihl to do this before anyone asks. This is my honest opinions. This thread will detail my experiences and stuff. Kind of like the 7900 thread I started.

I will probably first start using it at work this coming week (I’m a full time logger). I haven’t cut with the saw yet... but I did take the time to inspect it closely. My first impressions... picking up the saw, the ergonomics are the best I’ve felt on any stihl ive ran before. It felt comfortable and sleek. It felt similar to a oe365/372 lowtop saw is the closest thing I can think of. The saw has a 25” es bar on it and with a full tank of fuel and gas the balance is about perfect to me. Slightly nose heavy. I imagine a sugi or tsumura 28” would be balanced about the same as the 25”stihl es.

The av is good, not floppy at all yet smooth. I like how the front and rear spring is mounted vertical. A metal wire inside the cylinder spring, lower front limiter pin and right side limiter pin appear to be the av limiters. They looked plenty sufficient for a saw of this class.

I did notice the filter has a radial seal like a 661 (usually I don’t like the 661 setup), but this appears to be a better setup, no backplate for dust to sit behind and fall into the intake every time you take the filter off. I did put a little grease on the radial seal, seems to fit snug. The filter is washable and twist locks on. I like the top cover twist pins, quick and easy. Locks on very tight.

I noticed the use of a wire instead of a cable for the throttle, liked that. Throttle cables wear out faster. It appears to be a good idea to grease where the wire contacts the plastic slide for actuating the throttle. There was grease from the factory there. I like how they used a “372xt style” strato. Really simplifies the airbox setup. The throttle response felt fast and smooth. No hesitation. The reset procedure for the mtronic is easy and pretty cool as well.

I punched in the oiler pin for max adjustment range (like a 661 pump) and this thing appears to oil way better than any previous 1128 stihl I’ve used. Absolutely slings oil off the bar. I look forward to giving another report after I cut with it some... but first impressions are good. I like the way it feels over the previous generation 441,440, 460/461. It does not feel like a 362 or 562 with a big bore kit either. It’s different than most any stihl ive handled in a good way. Pleasantly surprised me.

By first looks, the only things I would do to this saw if it was mine is maybe install the wider west coast cover for more chip clearance (the standard cover looked slim, probably to save weight) and dual spikes with a roller catcher.

Just a few notes:

*Bought one462 with 36inch and another with 25es light. It’s ok. I use 20&25inch mostly.

*Don’t need to push pin for oiling it’s altready damn good for the purpose of tree felling etc.

*actual break in comes after 20-25tanks that would be 2 days for me running wild but anyhow keep that in mind. If you keep it stock even the noise level and sound are going to change.

Now Good Luck it’s an awesome saw

Leeroy

Super OPE Member
Local time
10:18 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Mason I m curious how you got access to the saw for trial? I was very happy to try a 441 for a week back when they first came out, as it just felt uncomfortable to me. No dealers around here loan out saws for trial anymore. Some don't even have the obligatory pine log to test.

Last edited:

Evansaw

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
5:18 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Just a few notes:

*Bought one462 with 36inch and another with 25es light. It’s ok. I use 20&25inch mostly.

*Don’t need to push pin for oiling it’s altready damn good for the purpose of tree felling etc.

*actual break in comes after 20-25tanks that would be 2 days for me running wild but anyhow keep that in mind. If you keep it stock even the noise level and sound are going to change.

Now Good Luck it’s an awesome saw

Forgot

*Those Jap Katakana Sugis & Tsumis are HEAVIER than Es light. So maybe you wanna check what suits your individual ballance.

huskyboy

Sorta a husqvarna guy...
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Forgot

*Those Jap Katakana Sugis & Tsumis are HEAVIER than Es light. So maybe you wanna check what suits your individual ballance.
I have a 28” cannon I could mount on it just to see how it handles that (very heavy and heavy duty bar). If it isn’t rediculous on it or maxes out the springs, then I imagine a stihl or oregon lw 32” should be fine. I usually grab a 90cc saw if I need to use a bar that size. But everyone is different. I’ll be pleased if it runs a 20-28” bar well in stock form, as that’s what we usually run here.

Skeans1

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
7:18 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have a 28” cannon I could mount on it just to see how it handles that (very heavy and heavy duty bar). If it isn’t rediculous on it or maxes out the springs, then I imagine a stihl or oregon lw 32” should be fine. I usually grab a 90cc saw if I need to use a bar that size. But everyone is different. I’ll be pleased if it runs a 20-28” bar well in stock form, as that’s what we usually run here.

If the anti vibe is anything like a 441 it’s not going to care for a cannon one bit. About once every three months or so you’re replacing the mounts with a 32 they’re way too soft for the job especially if you’re in the habit of popping out an undercut.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

huskyboy

Sorta a husqvarna guy...
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If the anti vibe is anything like a 441 it’s not going to care for a cannon one bit. About once every three months or so you’re replacing the mounts with a 32 they’re way too soft for the job especially if you’re in the habit of popping out an undercut.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It’s not like a 441, much more solid feeling imho. Feels about the same as a 372, if anything... a bit less loose than one. I’ll comment further when I actually get some time on it.

Last edited:

ABarrick

TacomaTRD98 on AS
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
A 25” ES light is pretty dead nuts level with a wet power head. Both tanks empty, it’s tipped very slightly to the nose. It actually “feels” slightly lighter to me with the 25” es light versus the 20” es light. Obviously is not, but the balance is sweet.

I have the smaller 1122 spikes (which did take some grinding to fit the outer) on my mtronic one with a 25” es light and the stock small dual spikes and 20” es light on my standard carbed one. Can’t go wrong either way.

Stihl working Hard

Is it Friday yet
Local time
10:18 PM
User ID
Reaction score
My es light is a 25” .050 too. Yesterday was the first start up and test cut. I was running a 20” Sugi with the pin in the factory position. I turned it as far as it will go without the pin in and it gushed.

You may not have to push the pin in.
That’s good to hear Stihl have taken The oiling issues of previous models