Husky 55 Decomp

Keith Gandy

Maxima K2 40:1 87 Pump Gas
Local time
5:02 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Never did this before fellows. Can anyone guide me on drill bit size and tap size and general directions for installing one ? Elderly gentlemen loves his saw but needs alil help starting it and ask if Id install a decomp for him. Thanks fellows20180516_113814.jpg

dougand3

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
IIRC, the hole is the right size. Drill a tiny hole through cyl wall - 1mm should do it. Tap 10mm x 1.0 threads. Double check the size - I'm going on memory. I remember it was kinda hard to find the tap - most were 1.25 or 1.5. Look up decomp valves or plugs - should give thread data.

AlfA01

Mastermind Approved!
GoldMember
Local time
12:02 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Drill right through into the cylinder where the deco boss is with a 2mm bit. The threads of the deco valve are M10 (I believe) and should be deep enough to accommodate the deco. My Husky deco's are 9mm thread depth on the valve, but the valve extends a little further past the threads. The actual threads into the cylinder boss are between 9.5 and 10mm -- I can't get an exact measurement.

Don't forget to clean up your burrs in the cylinder and what not.

smokey7

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
6:02 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So you used 2 total gaskets or just one totalling .032? Whats the squish and comp deco open and closed? I may end up doing this to my dads 350/346 that i machined the bade and just dusted the band. Blows almost 200 and even with the deco pops had a tough go of it. He loves hows it runs tho.

Keith Gandy

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
1 gasket totaling .032 . Im not sure on squish or compression but just bolted her back up and fired her up. Significant difference in force required to pullover

smokey7

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
6:02 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Does it feel less powerfull? I wonder if the saw im messing with would lose that sporty feel lowering the comp and opening squish clearance. Im thinking of machining a second angle into the dome enlarging the dome volume and narrowing the band but keeping the tight squish would keep some of the sporty feel and still lower the comp enough to start. I even backed the timing advance back to stock.

Keith Gandy

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Does it feel less powerfull? I wonder if the saw im messing with would lose that sporty feel lowering the comp and opening squish clearance. Im thinking of machining a second angle into the dome enlarging the dome volume and narrowing the band but keeping the tight squish would keep some of the sporty feel and still lower the comp enough to start. I even backed the timing advance back to stock.
Mustang Mike PM me with that very idea Smokey but I would think so but being this is an elderly gentleman his main concern was starting ease. I hadnt put it to wood yet so cant say how it runs. Dont think Ive ever ran a 55 as a matter of fact