High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

Husky 545 vs 550xp

Boomer 87

Super OPE Member
Local time
3:20 PM
User ID
Reaction score
So ive been on a husky kick lately.......not sorry lol. Ive got a ported 545 that probably one of my favorite saws to actually work with not just play, thanks to @Tpagel. Got me wondering though, what the differences between it and the 550 xp are. The 545 is autotune, mag case, pro grade quality. So what the deal? why even have both ifn there so similar. The 545 is probably the strongest, lightest fastest saw of that displacement ive run. Faster than my stock 346xp

Spike60

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
4:20 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
550 has crank stuffers, different coil with rev boost. (not the case with the new M2). 545 transfer covers are a little more shallow and flow a bit less air. Different carb and firmware. Most of this stuff just lowers or widens the power curve for the 545. Comes on a little sooner, but gives up a little on the top end to the 550. The few guys I know who run BOTH models aren't interested in cookie times and say there's really not much difference when just working with the saws.

Either is a great handling saw to work with. Enjoy it and have fun!

Boomer 87

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I guess ive not run either 550 or a stock 545 for comparison, idk who did what to this one but it acts way bigger than it is. And its setup for full 3/8 chain

Boomer 87

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I guess the crank stuffers are there to reduce the case volume, so itll come up in rpm a little quicker? More velocity?

Tpagel

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have a 2252 (same as 545 in j-red)
It is not as fast as Boomer's 545 but it is only Mm, ta,
Like that saw a lot

Farmchuck

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
550 has crank stuffers, different coil with rev boost. (not the case with the new M2). 545 transfer covers are a little more shallow and flow a bit less air. Different carb and firmware. Most of this stuff just lowers or widens the power curve for the 545. Comes on a little sooner, but gives up a little on the top end to the 550. The few guys I know who run BOTH models aren't interested in cookie times and say there's really not much difference when just working with the saws.

Either is a great handling saw to work with. Enjoy it and have fun!
What is your opinion so far on the new 550 compared to the first generation Bob? I know they have addressed some issues with air filter etc. but I’d like to know more about the actual performance comparisons. I imagine you can cut more wood per tank etc. Any input you have would be appreciated.:)

Spike60

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
What is your opinion so far on the new 550 compared to the first generation Bob? I know they have addressed some issues with air filter etc. but I’d like to know more about the actual performance comparisons. I imagine you can cut more wood per tank etc. Any input you have would be appreciated.:)

Hi Chuck;

They are there, but the performance comparisons aren't as significant as the rest of the changes are. You do notice a little more usable power with the M2, but it's not any kind of "Oh Wow!" increase. You also notice the slight weight increase, but again, nothing dramatic there. So the new one has more power, the old one remains a little more tossable when working with it. In this way, you could almost say the original 550 compares to the 346 and the new one is a little more like a 254XP. But without the vibrations of course. :)

The key to the improvements as a whole is that the M2 is a far better saw to live with both in the short and long term. All of the ills that affected some of the early 550's seem to have been corrected. Next generation AT. Heat management; it's easy to start hot or cold. The air filter sealing is huge IMO. Easier to start without the need for a deco. It's more about usability, reliability and longevity improvements than a performance thing. Just a better saw to own over the long haul.