High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

Husky 545 Autotune question about firmware update

Cavehill Brewer

Cave Hill Brewer
Local time
9:48 AM
User ID
Reaction score
My 4 year old 545 overheated and scored the piston and cylinder. My dealer suspects it was due to the air intake area being clogged. I cleaned everything up and installed a new piston and cylinder. Do I need to get a firmware update for the auto tune carburetor before using it or should I just follow the initial set-up procedure for a new saw?
Any help or suggestions on this matter will be greatly appreciated.

Husky268

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
i would have checked for update your local husky dealer should do this for you at a fair price i would think, i charge 35-45 dollars and do a little maintenance on it also.

Cavehill Brewer

Cave Hill Brewer
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
It started right up after the re-build. I ran it for a bit without load and took it in for the update. When I got it back I ran it under load for a full two minutes as I cut through along length of Beech. Ran great. I'll pay more attention to cleaning the air ways from now on.

woodfarmer

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
These husky saws are supposed to run even with the air intake jammed with sawdust.
Seriously, in 30 years I have never clogged the intake area, I’d be surprised if that was the cause.

Cavehill Brewer

Cave Hill Brewer
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Well that is what the tech guy said a the shop where I bought it. I didn't think it sounded right. Strange though, it is the second time this saw has been rebuilt. The first time it was while it was under warranty...the shop contacted Husqvarna and they covered it. My fear is that the auto-tune system is not working properly and burning out the piston and cylinder.

Any suggestions as to how I can prevent that from happening are appreciated.

I am a homeowner and only use the saw as well as two others to cut app 4 cord of wood per year. I have been told this is very minimum use for this saw.

Nutball

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
8:48 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I would say use 32:1 oil mix using a high performance oil. The only problem might be it running a little hotter from a leaner mix as what more oil tends to do, but auto tune should adjust for that. The extra oil should protect the engine against excessive wear even if running lean. There are other brands out there, but I'm a Klotz fan. Yesterday I was looking through their oils, and the best I found in my opinion according to the spec sheet was R50. I've been using and still might use Super Techniplate, but it may supposedly cause problems if left in a sitting engine for long periods.

I just haven't heard good things about Husqvarna auto tune. I'd probably instead get an Echo 490 and muffler mod it, or an Echo 590. They are similar in power and without auto tune. The Stihl 261 has a better "auto tune" and more power.

Husky268

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If they did the update to your saw you should be good to go.Keep using husky oil 50:1 and keep air filter clean you should'nt have any more problems.