High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

husky 51/55 closed port

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
4:54 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have a 45mm cyl with the +++ on outside casting. The ports look the same as all the non +++ cyls I have. The cooling fins ARE different tough.
Is there a piston available for this?

Last edited:

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thanks guys. I got past this, going to use an open port, NOS OEM 46mm top end on this one.
Waiting for mail man. I have beginner thoughts.

Ring gap looks like .007+

Do circlip positions matter? Open side up? And or?

If, I go without cyl gasket, should I stuff a wire into impulse hole during install to be sure Dirko grey +575f degrees sealer does not plug it?

Vac pres test seems good. Bearings feel good, seals are new,
motor is real clean.

If I can get the original carb cleaned and kitted I'm using it rather than the AM.

Any comments good, bad, or ugly appreciated.
I could never have got this far in learning without you guys,
and no one around here wants to work on these old saws, thanks.

These little buggers are not at all like small blocks.

Billy Currie

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The wrist pin snap rings open gap is pointed up or down on the piston.

Use the sealant sparingly. If this is your first time applying sealant: With the piston without a ring, apply the sealant lightly, take a picture of the cylinder with the sealant you just applied, install the cylinder snugging all cylinder screws careful not to smear the sealant, but compress it. Next, remove the cylinder carefully not to smear the sealant and inspect the squeeze-out of the sealant. If you have a fine bead on either side of the gasket mating surface you did great, if there is a large bead, or glob of sealant on either side of the gasket surface try again with less sealant. Always refer to the picture you tool before installing the cylinder for future cylinder installs. You can pit something in the impulse hole to prevent blockage, but would be unnecessary with the appropriate amount of sealant.

The OEM carburetor is what I would prefer to the aftermarket, but if you already have the after market carburetor you can try it.

Billy Currie

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I saw the 51/55 closed port cylinder available at HL Supply. If you have that cylinder handy, could you post some pictures inside the bore around the ports? I may be interested in one.

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Sorry I can not, no camera.
And trying to find reference pictures on the web is like top secret and can get confusing.
Also seems some of them were ground out to run the non-windowed piston. Or, there were more than 2 versions of this cyl.
Seems this way to me, but I have not been a long time student of this like others have.

Dub11

Saw R skeery
GoldMember
Local time
3:54 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

cuinrearview

Unskilled Hammer Donkey
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That says 46mm and closed port?

I thought the closed ports were all 45mm?
:nusenuse: @Definitive Dave
I'm sorry, I have not used one or worked on a 55. I had one I was thinking of doing and was talking to a guy on AS about that specific piston. I don't think he's over here or I'd send you his way.

Wolverine

dilligaf
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If you ever go with that 45mm closed port, I did use the lil red barn piston in one for a couple seasons. Had not one issue with it. It ran pretty good. Ended up selling the saw so I can't comment on how long it ran. I'd have no issue recommending it for that particular instance. It was in my sons saw.

The one we had was a 45 and all my searching found this to be the case.

Onan18

OPE Sponsor
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

OEM CP was 45mm, the AM ones are based off of the open port casting IIRC. Lowers are open to the crankcase sort of like a 930 Jonsered.