Brewz

Free Range Human in a Tax Farm
Local time
7:22 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hi Folks.

While selling my excess 066's, I got talking to a local bloke who is setting up to do some milling on his property in the hills.
He was interested in my saws but was short on cash and waited to see if they sold, which they did.
He rang me back tonight and we got talking about saws and I was telling him how I rebuilt them myself from the ground up.

He told me he had a Husky 372xp, one of the early xp models he recons, that has some issues and when he took it to the local dealer that told him it would be $900 to repair, and promptly led him to the wall covered in new saws.

He asked me if I could have a look at fixing it up for him cheaper than the saw shop.

I recon I can.

Now I have only ever worked on Stihls and I am wondering what little tricks and tips people may be able to help me with?
Special tools needed?
particular things to check for on these saws?

I dont plan to charge him much, it will be a good learning experience for me and I can make a little pocket money in the process.

Cheers

RIDE-RED 350r

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
4:22 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Get yourself a case splitter if you don't already have one, also a piston stop and clutch wrench will be very helpful too. I have done crank bearing-up overhauls on a pair of 394's, a 575, a 576, 346OE, and a 359. The 300 series saws I have done are very straight forward and pretty simple really. The 575 and 576 were a little more of a pain, mainly with carb installation as they have alot more going on in that area that needs to be mated together correctly.

IDK of you plan to split the case and do the crank bearings and seals or not or if you have done that on your Stihls in the past. If you do, use heat and cold to aid in assembly for less strain on the components. Also a good idea to use a press to remove the old crank bearings if you have access to one or have one yourself.

IDK what parts sell for where you live, but here I can do a 372 overhaul to include OEM P&C kit, crank bearings with seals, all the gaskets, fuel line and filter, and carb kit for under $300USD. And that is going with the 75cc XPW kit. Keep in mind though that little wear and tear parts may be needed along the way like rim sprocket, intake boot if compromised due to age, oil pump drive gear, etc etc... IDK how Australian dollars are compared to US dollars, but $900 seems like a copious amount of money to overhaul a saw! $600 in labor???? What is their shop rate??!!!

jmssaws

Banneded
Local time
3:22 AM
User ID
Reaction score
The very one thing you need to keep in mind between Husqvarna and Stihl reassembly that is rather important to your patience and mood is remembering to install the intake to the cylinder BEFORE bolting the cylinder back down on husky saws.
I've done gobs of these damn huskys and still forget to do that now and then.

Brewz

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Great stuff guys, exactly the help I was after.

I have done crank bearings up on stihls before, so it should be fine if u need to
I will asses it and decide.

Prices in Australia at geared around making you buy new

A new oem piston and jug for a srihl 066 is about $1500, almost $400 for the piston kit alone

RIDE-RED 350r

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Holy smokes!! $1500 for P&C kit??!!!

I just ran it in a currently exchange calculator, $1500 Australian is $1162 US... That is crazy!

Not to derail your thread too much, but I have to wonder why they are so bent on selling new saws that they price repair parts so incredibly high.

Brewz

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yes it is crazy
I have contacted Stihl Australia about I but they blame the distributors

I expert husky parts are the same here

Brewz

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I was talking to the mechanic at the local dealer here and said I was upset about being told $400 for an 066 piston kit

He said, that's nothing, the cylinders are about $1100

RIDE-RED 350r

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
What is the go with the clutch removal tool?

Will I need one?
It's kind of like a spanner wrench that grips the clutch spider and makes clutch removal a breeze. The use of a piston stop along with it is a big help too. I'm sure other guys have found creative ways to remove the clutch safely, but I picked up the clutch wrench a few years ago for about $30 and have no regrets about it at all... I'll see if I can find a link to post