Husky 372 “Let the smoke out”

jackjcc

Super OPE Member
Local time
6:59 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Fixed the saw a year ago for a tree service and they’ve spent the last year running it daily. That an incomprehensible amount of use to me. Well the last time it came in the spark plug electrode broke off and after bouncing around the combustion chamber a little ended up in the crank wedged between the counterweight and the case. No damage to the cylinder, beside a few small dings in the top.

It came back locked up and looking into the plug hole showed chunks of aluminum on top of the piston, sad face followed. The case is littered with debris, but the guy running it said it was locked up when he tried to restart it, fairly certain it happened when operating. Lots of little fine pieces everywhere.
7b96ccdd0d47e84a23a20d6a5667e4a6.jpg

You can also see the wear on the piston skirt, seems like it ran a little lean, but on the other hand there wasn’t much for oil in it and what was there is red in color. Can anybody name the brand that has red oil?

Anyways the debris came from the cylinder base, can’t think of anything that would have caused this other than bad luck. If somebody knows please speak up.

68b0e1de756447091402be8b0ba07457.jpg

Not sure where to go from here, the bearings turn over smooth still and if I wash out the case with mix I feel like I will push the small particles into the bearings. What do you guys think I should do with it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jackjcc

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If it has run that much, why not do the bearings anyway,?

Tree service saws do get abused and it probably would be a good idea to do it. Time and effort is about the only reason I have not to do it. Which isn’t really reason ha.

jackjcc

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
What do rings look like? How deep is cylinder scored. Piston skirt can be cleaned up.

One of the chunks ended up between the piston and cylinder, they are toast. It’s really unfortunate...

jackjcc

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If the bore is good i dont see why you cant use that cylinder, squish band may need help by the sounds of it tho. Maybe pull crank seals and flush case really well?

The bore is not good unfortunately

RIDE-RED 350r

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
7:59 PM
User ID
Reaction score
I think that for $50 at the high end with OEM bearing and seals, it's cheap insurance for a saw that has alot of hard hours on it that is already on your bench for internal damage. But even that number can be reduced by getting the same bearings from a supplier.

Red oil could be Amsoil Dominator. I'm sure there are others.

jackjcc

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I think that for $50 at the high end with OEM bearing and seals, it's cheap insurance for a saw that has alot of hard hours on it that is already on your bench for internal damage. But even that number can be reduced by getting the same bearings from a supplier.

Red oil could be Amsoil Dominator. I'm sure there are others.

I figured out it’s menards brand oil. Just insane. I’m at loss.

Parts total right now for OEM was $225, that was without splitting the case and putting new bearings. I really wish the cylinder wasn’t trashed.

Ultimately it isn’t my saw and I’m waiting to see what the owner wants.

RIDE-RED 350r

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Looks like an OE. I'm guessing the Meteor cyl kit doesn't cost much if any less than OEM?

jackjcc

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Oem is just over $200 and the meteor is $140.

XP_Slinger

They’re Just Saws
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Not sure how your customer views it but to me the repair is worth it even with changing bearings. All said and done, Parts and labor will still be cheaper than replacing it with a new saw.