trooney

Admitted Woodaholic
GoldMember
Local time
5:04 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I bought this little Husky 335 (because I worked on one for this landscaper and I swore I would not work on another...sometimes I think I should get an MRI of the brain to see how much white and grey matter left that I didnt kill) and finally after alot, and I do mean alot of cussing, got it to run descent. However, a guy not too far from me has a Dolmar 3410 for $175 in pretty good shape. The husky is going to need a new piston eventually, #120, and have always been fascinated by the 3410. Dont know why, maybe its because you dont hear alot about them. My question is, should I pull the trigger on the 3410 and try to sell the 335, or just keep the 335. Only use it for limbing and saplings. I know I could keep them both but that defeats the purpose. Have too many of those deals as it is. So I'm putting it out to the masses, what would you do?

trooney

Admitted Woodaholic
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I was thinking about that but I'd like to try the dolmar, just dont want a dud. The 335 cuts fine, its not a dog its just finicky as hell. Wanting to hear from somebody with 3410 experience or somebody who has run both.

SOS Ridgerider

Muffler Modded Member
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hey Tom. I have a teal 3410TH I just finished putting a new piston, ring, and a few other bits and pieces in. I haven’t run it a whole lot yet, but on good advice, I bent the reeds out a little and gave it a muffler mod. Seems to be a strong runner, for what it is. They have a great sound to them too. I have another 3410TH in the works as well. This time a red one.

I like them because they’re different, and you don’t see them a lot. Keep in mind, the 3410 was never intended to be a pro level saw. It’s all clamshell and plastic, but for all I know the 335 may be as well.

From what I’ve heard some of these saws ran real good, and some didn’t, for some reason. I’d say if the Dolmar has your interest, definitely go take a look at it and run it. $175 sounds like a reasonable price for a saw like that, in good condition. If it’s a good runner, I’d get it and do the little mods I did to mine. You won’t be disappointed. Mine’s a keeper, for sure.

I had a video of mine after I finished it, but for some reason I can’t find it now. If I find it I’ll post it up here for you.

trooney

Admitted Woodaholic
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thanks for the reply Sondre. I've read some on them and they seem to be good runners. I'll take your advise. There arent that many of them around, thats for sure. The 335 is a clamshell and plastic too, that dont bother me.

SOS Ridgerider

Muffler Modded Member
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

hseII

AKA - Karenberly's Husband
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hey Tom. I have a teal 3410TH I just finished putting a new piston, ring, and a few other bits and pieces in. I haven’t run it a whole lot yet, but on good advice, I bent the reeds out a little and gave it a muffler mod. Seems to be a strong runner, for what it is. They have a great sound to them too. I have another 3410TH in the works as well. This time a red one.

I like them because they’re different, and you don’t see them a lot. Keep in mind, the 3410 was never intended to be a pro level saw. It’s all clamshell and plastic, but for all I know the 335 may be as well.

From what I’ve heard some of these saws ran real good, and some didn’t, for some reason. I’d say if the Dolmar has your interest, definitely go take a look at it and run it. $175 sounds like a reasonable price for a saw like that, in good condition. If it’s a good runner, I’d get it and do the little mods I did to mine. You won’t be disappointed. Mine’s a keeper, for sure.

I had a video of mine after I finished it, but for some reason I can’t find it now. If I find it I’ll post it up here for you.

That’s the most I’ve ever seen you type Sonnie: very informative.

Simondo

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
10:04 PM
User ID
Reaction score

Sondre. Please excuse me drawing attention to just the 1 point .
Rest assured ...the 3410 was looked upon by Dolmar as a pro top handled Arborists saw. This press release tells the story.

Screen Shot 2018-10-18 at 17.56.49.png

There a Brick on a rope !! LOL

Photo1125.jpg

SOS Ridgerider

Muffler Modded Member
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Sondre. Please excuse me drawing attention to just the 1 point .
Rest assured ...the 3410 was looked upon by Dolmar as a pro top handled Arborists saw. This press release tells the story.

View attachment 146060

There a Brick on a rope !! LOL

View attachment 146061
Thanks Simon. From what I understand they were looked upon a little differently on this side of the pond, but that’s neither here, nor there.

Either way, it’s a cool little saw and they run very well, in my opinion.

Can you still buy them new in Europe, by the way?

Simondo

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
10:04 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Thanks Simon. From what I understand they were looked upon a little differently on this side of the pond, but that’s neither here, nor there.

Either way, it’s a cool little saw and they run very well, in my opinion.

Can you still buy them new in Europe, by the way?
There may be some old stock somewhere but the 3410 is not in the 2018 catalogue . There are the Top handle ....PS311 TB and Ps222TH now.

trooney

Admitted Woodaholic
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It is a little heavy. Pulled the trigger last nite. To tell you the truth it didnt give me the wow factor right away. Brought it home and screwed around with the carb some. Tomorrow the muffler. @SOS Ridgerider you said you bent the reeds a little? Not all that familiar with a reed intake...

SOS Ridgerider

Muffler Modded Member
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It is a little heavy. Pulled the trigger last nite. To tell you the truth it didnt give me the wow factor right away. Brought it home and screwed around with the carb some. Tomorrow the muffler. @SOS Ridgerider you said you bent the reeds a little? Not all that familiar with a reed intake...
I think once you do the little mods, you’ll think differently. At least I hope you will.

Yes, I bent them out just a little bit. Once you take the carb off, you’ll see them on the backside. Bend them out just enough to where you can easily see the difference between the one that’s bent and the one that isn’t. There is no scientific measurement, honestly.

Muffler mod was very simple and easy. Muffler comes apart in a few seconds, at least mine did, and remove the baffle. Cut a bigger outlet, and you should have a different running saw. Can you post up a pic of the muffler on yours? I know there’s at least two different ones for these saws.

I have also been told they like a little timing advance, but I haven’t gotten to do that to mine yet.

SOS Ridgerider

Muffler Modded Member
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
There may be some old stock somewhere but the 3410 is not in the 2018 catalogue . There are the Top handle ....PS311 TB and Ps222TH now.
Cool. Thanks. I’ll have to look those up.

trooney

Admitted Woodaholic
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Will do tomorrow Sondre. I'm still trying to picture what you are saying with the reeds. Once I look at it it probably will make sense. I'll post pics tomorrow.